R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #2041
Tech Regular
 
inconceivable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD WldCrd View Post
Those who run 17.5 brushless on their f103, I would like to know the gearing to start. I may give the brushless a shot on mine.
17.5 in the F103 has been great. I've been running this combo for the past few months. After playing around with gearing for a few weeks, I've settled on 93/30 (FDR = 3.10).
__________________
"And now the Matador shall dance with the blind shoe maker"
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936"
inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #2042
Tech Addict
 
f2000racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 501
Default

Not sure if it's been asked, but does anyone know if the F104 body will fit the F103RM ?

Thanks.
__________________
Tamiya F103RM
Tamiya Mini
Tamiya TA05
f2000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #2043
Tech Addict
 
evanwest94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 660
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to evanwest94
Default

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...s-one-run.html
evanwest94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #2044
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I managed to rummage into my LHS' old stocks and they still had an old Titanium Rear Shaft Tamiya P/N 53396. It's cheaper than the carbon shaft too. Checking on Tamiya's site, this part is already discontinued.

Just wanna ask, what's the biggest effect in using a lighter rear shaft?
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #2045
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,586
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailboxck View Post
I managed to rummage into my LHS' old stocks and they still had an old Titanium Rear Shaft Tamiya P/N 53396. It's cheaper than the carbon shaft too. Checking on Tamiya's site, this part is already discontinued.

Just wanna ask, what's the biggest effect in using a lighter rear shaft?
Sometimes the metal shafts bend, even very very slightly. It can be hard to spot. Carbon or fiberglass usually is either good or broken.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #2046
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,287
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailboxck View Post
I managed to rummage into my LHS' old stocks and they still had an old Titanium Rear Shaft Tamiya P/N 53396. It's cheaper than the carbon shaft too. Checking on Tamiya's site, this part is already discontinued.

Just wanna ask, what's the biggest effect in using a lighter rear shaft?
Car will spool up faster on acceleration, but you might want to think twice about running the titanium shaft, it is light, but also very soft and has a tendency to bend. The carbon axle is more expensive, but is tougher than you might think
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #2047
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,287
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanwest94 View Post
Im not sure why im even responding to this, but I looked at the post that you linked to, and let me tell you, save yourself the trouble and get out of the hobby before you burn alot of money. You drove the car for two minutes and it didnt feel right? so its for sale? Dude I looked at the pics u posted and that car needs a lot of work just from what i can see, not counting what isnt evident from the pics. Im not talking about throwing good money after bad, im talking about building and preparing the car properly. Biggest thing is to mount the electronics on the lower chassis to keep the CG down. Your wiring is a rats nest, you need to be cleaner with things like that. Cut the wheel wells out of the body, I guarantee you that you are limiting the movement of the wheels and that is why the car doesnt feel right. I would go to a touring car or GT type body if I were you , but im trying to help you with what you have. These cars take hours to tune in to where you like the way they work, and thats after starting with a good build job off the bat.
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #2048
Tech Addict
 
evanwest94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 660
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to evanwest94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
Im not sure why im even responding to this, but I looked at the post that you linked to, and let me tell you, save yourself the trouble and get out of the hobby before you burn alot of money. You drove the car for two minutes and it didnt feel right? so its for sale? Dude I looked at the pics u posted and that car needs a lot of work just from what i can see, not counting what isnt evident from the pics. Im not talking about throwing good money after bad, im talking about building and preparing the car properly. Biggest thing is to mount the electronics on the lower chassis to keep the CG down. Your wiring is a rats nest, you need to be cleaner with things like that. Cut the wheel wells out of the body, I guarantee you that you are limiting the movement of the wheels and that is why the car doesnt feel right. I would go to a touring car or GT type body if I were you , but im trying to help you with what you have. These cars take hours to tune in to where you like the way they work, and thats after starting with a good build job off the bat.
I did tune it but the car still spins out on full acceleration, also my wire look like a "birds nest" because i had to take out my esc because it went coo coo so i had to take the zip ties in order to do that, another thing the body is bigger then most 1/10 so i can use it without cutting the wheel wells, another thing VSM doesn't fit anywhere on the chassis.
TAMIYA F103 RM-0621091142.jpg
evanwest94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #2049
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
Car will spool up faster on acceleration, but you might want to think twice about running the titanium shaft, it is light, but also very soft and has a tendency to bend. The carbon axle is more expensive, but is tougher than you might think
Thanks for the heads up! For the longest time I was thinking that the carbon axle is a big no no as some of our local racers do not suggest it if you have a tendency to hit walls and other drivers.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #2050
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

How bout a link to the killer setup page for my new F 103 RM.
Has alum upgrades, motor plate, shock, hub, chassis upper and lower.

I'm gonna run carpet at OCRC and maybe the Tamiya track if possible.
Got a couple base setups with gearing tips?
Thanks to any F 1 tech'ers
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #2051
Tech Adept
 
SCD WldCrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
How bout a link to the killer setup page for my new F 103 RM.
Has alum upgrades, motor plate, shock, hub, chassis upper and lower.

I'm gonna run carpet at OCRC and maybe the Tamiya track if possible.
Got a couple base setups with gearing tips?
Thanks to any F 1 tech'ers
DAMN IT, CUDA!!!!!!!!!!! IF I'D KNOWN YOU DECIDED TO GET AN F103 I WOULD RACE WITH YA THIS SATURDAY BUT I'LL BE IN THE TCS RACE!!!!!!!!!!! HA CHA CHA CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, if you go on Saturday, you can ask Ian at the store and he'll help you out on the setup. If you'll be at OCRC tomorrow, I'll be stopping by to see your new baby and maybe provide you my setup.... if you're running Mabuchi. Have fun, man.
__________________
Race with Pace no matter what you drive.

Durango DEX410R - Aluminum Upgrades included ; X-Factory X-60 ; Ofna Hyper 10 SC ;
Team Xtreme Predator X11 (for fun, no race) ; Hot Bodies Ve8 ; Tamiya F103R
SCD WldCrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #2052
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Wildman,
isn't TCS at the Tamiya in Aliso Viejo?
If so I wanna go!
It's in my back yard, I could walk there in 10 minutes.
I need a setup for there if they'll let me race on such short notice.
Hot CHA CHA CHA that amigo!
Besides, OCRC has their Saturday series racin offroad this Saturday, no onroad anyway.
I'm gonna try to get to OCRC tonite as well as tomorrow nite.
Stop by and help me out!
Bring $9 ha ha ha ha.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #2053
Tech Adept
 
SCD WldCrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Wildman,
isn't TCS at the Tamiya in Aliso Viejo?
If so I wanna go!
It's in my back yard, I could walk there in 10 minutes.
I need a setup for there if they'll let me race on such short notice.
Hot CHA CHA CHA that amigo!
Besides, OCRC has their Saturday series racin offroad this Saturday, no onroad anyway.
I'm gonna try to get to OCRC tonite as well as tomorrow nite.
Stop by and help me out!
Bring $9 ha ha ha ha.
If you're still looking forward to TCS then register online at Tamiya America. No limit on entries which is a good thing. I'll bring $9 if you have change for a hundred. HA CHA CHA CHA back at ya.
__________________
Race with Pace no matter what you drive.

Durango DEX410R - Aluminum Upgrades included ; X-Factory X-60 ; Ofna Hyper 10 SC ;
Team Xtreme Predator X11 (for fun, no race) ; Hot Bodies Ve8 ; Tamiya F103R
SCD WldCrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #2054
Tech Regular
 
Blueman Austria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 420
Default F104 Diff in a F103

Hy there!

Wanted to share with you that the F104 Carbon rear shaft and the diff set is a direct fit in any F103 Chassis.

Take a look at the pictures!

TAMIYA F103 RM-25062009781.jpg

TAMIYA F103 RM-25062009782.jpg

TAMIYA F103 RM-25062009780.jpg

Hope it works as well as it looks !

Greetings Blueman
__________________
_______________________________________________________________________
TT01, F104, TRF415MSXXMRE07, TB Evo5 Exoten, TB Evo6, TRF417v7, TRF 418........
Blueman Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #2055
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD WldCrd View Post
If you're still looking forward to TCS then register online at Tamiya America. No limit on entries which is a good thing. I'll bring $9 if you have change for a hundred. HA CHA CHA CHA back at ya.
Can I sign up at the track?
Not sure if I can make it.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tamiya f103 gt madmiki Australia For Sale/Trade 1 02-04-2009 12:13 AM
looking for a Tamiya F103 GT level-4 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 05-22-2008 04:56 PM
Tamiya F103 GT heavy Australia For Sale/Trade 3 05-15-2006 02:49 AM
WTB: Tamiya buggy & Tamiya f103 stuff rays_tt Australia Wanted to Buy 2 04-20-2006 07:10 AM
Tamiya F103 or F103 Parts MM-F1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 04-24-2004 04:14 PM


Tags
rasta scbc


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net