R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #1981
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,588
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
This might be a dumb question but I gotta know. I want to keep my car TCS legal and need to get a battery for it. The Tamiya website list batteries that are legal but I am having a hard time finding where to buy them. How do I know if a certain Trinity, Duratrax or Orion battery conforms to the list of approved cells.

Sanyo NI-CD 2400, Sanyo NI-MH HV 3000, 3300 & 3600

Panasonic 3000 Ultra Metal Hydride, Panasonic 3000 Stock Metal Hydride

GP (Gold Peak) 3300 & 3700, 4300, 4600

Intellect Batteries 3600, 3800 and LRP 3700, 4200, 4600

EPIC 3800, EP 4600.

Thanks all!
I was at the Trackside TCS, and all ROAR approved lipos were legal..not sure about nimh
http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/rules.php#
"Update 3/17/09: the recent influx of new LiPo batteries emerging in the hobby R/C market, the TCS Series is adopting the same list as the one found on the ROAR approved list. However, we emphasize that All LiPo batteries must be "True" hard cased and not soft cased. If we see a ROAR approved battery that we deem soft case we will make note of it here banning it from the TCS series."
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #1982
Tech Master
 
GREGORY!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,076
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
If you still can get your hands on a 15th Anniversary F103, that's your best bet. It comes with all the options.

Otherwise go for a F103RM and hopped it up. F103RM stock configuration is pretty good to go.

Tyres - depends on your track. The Tamiyas ones are good enough. There are other brands out there available. Unless you are running TCS, you check with your organisers if there is a restriction.

The F103 is pretty tough.. haven really broke anything even after a few hard knocks. so stocking up on parts not really necessary unless you are pretty far from your LHS, otherwise i say get a spare arm, thrust bearings, the diff balls and lotsa of tyres.
Thank you Arahawak for your help.

15th Anniversary F103?
mmmmm i would like the cheap version.do you know if the 104 will
come out in any cheap version?
GREGORY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #1983
Tech Master
 
ali_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,153
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
I got a 15th Anniversary
i also want one man
ali_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #1984
Tech Elite
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,444
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORY! View Post
Thank you Arahawak for your help.

15th Anniversary F103?
mmmmm i would like the cheap version.do you know if the 104 will
come out in any cheap version?
Cheap version would be the F103RM.

I saw in some website... cannot remember where, the Yen list the F104 at 25,000.
__________________
Support Bacteria - its the only culture some people have!
Arahawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #1985
Tech Master
 
GREGORY!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,076
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
Cheap version would be the F103RM.

I saw in some website... cannot remember where, the Yen list the F104 at 25,000.

25,000yen???
pffff after!

so we stick to the 103?
but i must to wait for the f104's price and here.
maybe will be difference...
GREGORY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #1986
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

$170-190 shipped for the F104 is closer to what they are gonna sell for.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #1987
Tech Addict
 
evanwest94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 660
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to evanwest94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanwest94 View Post
Can anyone hook me up with a new or used right wheel mount for my GT like this one http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-f10...th=595_744_888 or this one http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-f10...th=595_744_888 PM me if you do.
Thanks, Evan
Still need one, anyone?
evanwest94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #1988
Tech Elite
 
killingtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,658
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Anyone have a good setup for low grip asphalt? I've been trying a few things here and there but can't get the rear end to stick.
__________________
Mike Webb

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #1989
Tech Elite
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,444
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORY! View Post
25,000yen???
pffff after!

so we stick to the 103?
but i must to wait for the f104's price and here.
maybe will be difference...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Creations View Post
$170-190 shipped for the F104 is closer to what they are gonna sell for.
Hopefully!
__________________
Support Bacteria - its the only culture some people have!
Arahawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #1990
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

my F103 up for sale along with my brushless. see here: used only 3 times.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZthundercatsgtrQQhtZ-1
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #1991
Tech Master
 
240Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,115
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
Anyone have a good setup for low grip asphalt? I've been trying a few things here and there but can't get the rear end to stick.
It kind of depends upon where in the turn the car looses grip. I have been running the F103 for a few years now and found F103 setup to be a persuit, more than a destination.

The general concept is if the back end does not grip on entry:
you loosen up the t-bar
reduce the spring rate/preload on the shock
use a thinner grease on the friction plate

On the flip side, if the car pushes on entry:
increase the spring rate/preload on the shock

If you are spinning out on corner exit, throttle control is your friend. I also tend to like a taller gear ratio so you can't put too much torque to the wheels at the lower RPM. Diff setup can play a part as well.

You also need to think about weight distribution. The lighter lipo packs may require some lead weights to get more mass on the back of the car.

Clear as mud right?
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #1992
Tech Elite
 
killingtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,658
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
It kind of depends upon where in the turn the car looses grip. I have been running the F103 for a few years now and found F103 setup to be a persuit, more than a destination.

The general concept is if the back end does not grip on entry:
you loosen up the t-bar
reduce the spring rate/preload on the shock
use a thinner grease on the friction plate

On the flip side, if the car pushes on entry:
increase the spring rate/preload on the shock

If you are spinning out on corner exit, throttle control is your friend. I also tend to like a taller gear ratio so you can't put too much torque to the wheels at the lower RPM. Diff setup can play a part as well.

You also need to think about weight distribution. The lighter lipo packs may require some lead weights to get more mass on the back of the car.

Clear as mud right?
Actually, that's quite clear I'll try a few more things this weekend to see if it helps. I've always known throttle control is paramount in keeping control of the car, but mine just felt like it was missing something else. Thanks for the help.
__________________
Mike Webb

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #1993
Tech Adept
 
grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Middletown, CT
Posts: 201
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I just build my new F103 and I enjoyed it a bunch. I still have to instal the electronics and paint it but other than that I am ready to roll.

Do you guys cut put the body before painting it or paint it first?

Also what would a decent servo for this thing be? The LHS sold me a Hitec HS 645MG but I think it might be a little slow at .24 sec. Is it too slow? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #1994
Tech Elite
 
Arahawak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A.D. 2030
Posts: 3,444
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
I just build my new F103 and I enjoyed it a bunch. I still have to instal the electronics and paint it but other than that I am ready to roll.

Do you guys cut put the body before painting it or paint it first?

Also what would a decent servo for this thing be? The LHS sold me a Hitec HS 645MG but I think it might be a little slow at .24 sec. Is it too slow? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I paint first then cut.
__________________
Support Bacteria - its the only culture some people have!
Arahawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #1995
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

my over $300 fully hopped up tamiya f103 is still up for sale... if interested, pm me. its on ebay... only 2 days left...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=tab%3DSelling



a brushless is also for sale...
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tamiya f103 gt madmiki Australia For Sale/Trade 1 02-04-2009 12:13 AM
looking for a Tamiya F103 GT level-4 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 05-22-2008 04:56 PM
Tamiya F103 GT heavy Australia For Sale/Trade 3 05-15-2006 02:49 AM
WTB: Tamiya buggy & Tamiya f103 stuff rays_tt Australia Wanted to Buy 2 04-20-2006 07:10 AM
Tamiya F103 or F103 Parts MM-F1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 04-24-2004 04:14 PM


Tags
rasta scbc


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:51 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net