R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #1861
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys..thank you for the compliments. I've always wanted to do a Williams paint scheme on a runner and it turned out better than expected.

Marty, you're F103 bodies are way more detailed than this! \

Mr Itoh, long time no see...anywhere...how you been? Hmm, Petrese or Mansell...seems like a no brainer to me hehe. The body is a Lotus 107B. There is an original body for the FW14 (sans Camel) but they're harder to find than an angel fart.

As for details about the body let me try to explain. The body set is infact a Lotus 107B. I've always liked the shape of it and performance wise, it's a good body to have. The body was painted with white and pactra blue streak. I couldn't get my fat fingers into all of the nooks and crannies to mask off the yellow top and nose so those were done using coverite yellow vinyl. The rear wing end plates were created by spray painting white vinyl with blue and protecting with clear vinyl. The decal sheet is from D-drive. I have mixed feelings about the D-drive stickers. The print quality is awesome and precise. However, the carrier vinyl/film does not like contures or being bent and tends to wrinkle. Because of that, I ended up cutting my own pin stripping and using that instead of the pin stripping supplied by D-drive. The real bummer is the helmet, I purchased a bunch of the champion helmet decal sheets and since the carrier vinyl doesn't like round stuff, I had to re-create them somehow with good vinyl. I basically took a decal, applied it to the back side of some coverite and cut my own with a very sharp exacto. It was a bunch of work but I am pleased with the results. Again, bummer on the D-drive stickers.

I hope this helps.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #1862
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post

It's an interesting design for a t-bar car with the battery down the middle. I'm wondering if we'll see 1:12 t-bar cars move towards this design?
looks like its more directed towards oval racing. gotta love tweak screws!

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #1863
Tech Adept

Nice job Rod. I have a large collection of old Tamiya bodies, stickers, wings, and diffusers. Comming your way in a few weeks.
Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #1864
Tech Elite

Wow, really long time no see...yes I look forward to the get together in celebration of the old man getting older
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #1865
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi, I just got a tamiya F103GT kit and I want to know which front wing would work the best.
I know that the car was ment for touring car bodies but I love F1 cars.
I already know that most rear wings work but I don't about the front.
Also are there any F103 bodies that fit the F103GT?
Thanks!
fishymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #1866
Tech Addict

Hi all, Just got a used 103rm and am trying to put together a set of turnbuckle tie rod for it.

I already have the servo saver (Kimbrough), turnbuckles, 5mm adjusters and 5mm ball connectors from my spares. But I need the screw with 5mm ball for the upright, i understand that I need the part with 5mm ball with 2mm screw like in the turnbuckle set. Either that or the 103R style using the 2mm screw and ball nut (5mm ball with 2mm thread). Any idea what they are called and (better still) where to get them?

I also discovered that the screw head on the 4x25mm is ruined, looks like I have to drill that one out...

thanks!
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #1867
Tech Addict

I observed that the 103LM uses 2 o-rings (front and back) for the rear suspension, whereas the 103R uses a washer in front and o-ring at the rear. Can someone help to explain the differences and reasons?

Also why does the 103R front upright require a set screw and the 103RM doesn't?

thanks!

Last edited by stocker; 04-06-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 AM   #1868
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by inconceivable View Post
I run on an outdoor asphalt track that has medium to high traction (depending upon the day). I've been running soft front and rear Tamiya foams and my car hooks up well. Has anyone found a rubber tire that even comes close to the way foams hook up in these track conditions ? I'd love to run rubber, but don't want to lose too much traction. Just curious.
+1
I've only seen TRG slicks in the stores. Not sure if other brands actually make them?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #1869
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anybody running brushless? I have to run 17.5 for a local series at BCR and was wondering if anybody would be willing to share good/bad experiences with the F103.
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #1870
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
I observed that the 103LM uses 2 o-rings (front and back) for the rear suspension, whereas the 103R uses a washer in front and o-ring at the rear. Can someone help to explain the differences and reasons?

Also why does the 103R front upright require a set screw and the 103RM doesn't?

thanks!
I would think 2 o rings are for more grip with rubber tires. The washer/o ring setup does not have as much side to side motion as a 2 o ring does.

The rm has eclips that hold the knuckles. I thought the R did too? Either way you can get the kingpin with the e clip grooves for cheap if you want that. RC F1 Super King Pin Set Item #50508

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #1871
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
Anybody running brushless? I have to run 17.5 for a local series at BCR and was wondering if anybody would be willing to share good/bad experiences with the F103.
We run ezrun 13t's at our track, they are amazing for the cost. Enough power and reliable. Compared to silvers and sport tuned it much better. Temps are also much lower on motor and esc.

Great stuff!
RossoTorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #1872
Tech Apprentice

Default F103RM and F103GT

Can someone please tell me what the difference between the two cars are and can they be reaced in the same class?
Dirt Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #1873
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoTorro View Post
We run ezrun 13t's at our track, they are amazing for the cost. Enough power and reliable. Compared to silvers and sport tuned it much better. Temps are also much lower on motor and esc.

Great stuff!
Good stuff, I use it on my m03. I noticed you are running a fdr of slightly above 5. Since I am using the stock 103rm spur, I would have to use 12T/13T?

I will be running outdoor asphalt, and maybe rubber tyres too, does that make a difference?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #1874
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec View Post
As for details about the body let me try to explain. The body set is infact a Lotus 107B. I've always liked the shape of it and performance wise, it's a good body to have. The body was painted with white and pactra blue streak. I couldn't get my fat fingers into all of the nooks and crannies to mask off the yellow top and nose so those were done using coverite yellow vinyl. The rear wing end plates were created by spray painting white vinyl with blue and protecting with clear vinyl. The decal sheet is from D-drive. I have mixed feelings about the D-drive stickers. The print quality is awesome and precise. However, the carrier vinyl/film does not like contures or being bent and tends to wrinkle. Because of that, I ended up cutting my own pin stripping and using that instead of the pin stripping supplied by D-drive. The real bummer is the helmet, I purchased a bunch of the champion helmet decal sheets and since the carrier vinyl doesn't like round stuff, I had to re-create them somehow with good vinyl. I basically took a decal, applied it to the back side of some coverite and cut my own with a very sharp exacto. It was a bunch of work but I am pleased with the results. Again, bummer on the D-drive stickers.

I hope this helps.
Did you use and hair dryer for the helmet decals? The helmets are very tricky to get right with any decals.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #1875
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
Can someone please tell me what the difference between the two cars are and can they be reaced in the same class?

The F103GT came out maybe 3-4 years ago and is basically an old F103 F1 car converted to run touring car tires, touring car bodies, or the LeMans Courage body. It also has a diff that doesn't loosen when you change the rear tires. The front of the chassis is wider than an F1 body.

The F103RM came out maybe last year as Tamiya's new F1 car. It is made to run foam tires. The front wheels have bearings in the wheels. In the F103GT, the front axles ride on bearings so that regular touring car wheels and tires can be used.

So, the difference in tires is the big thing. The F103GTs do not run in Tamiya's F103 class anymore. In TCS races, the F103GT is basically obsolete.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote