R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #1591
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [RC10TC] View Post
What does this option part do for performance?
Tamiya 53259 3.5mm offset upright.
Thank you.
Makes the car less twitchy in long straights but takes away steering response.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #1592
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Makes the car less twitchy in long straights but takes away steering response.
Wonder what Tamiya's thinking when they put a 0 offset knuckle in the original kit?

I think they should do it the other way round.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #1593
Tech Master
 
padailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Posts: 1,603
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I hope this isn't something that has been discussed over and over again and I just missed it... but here goes.

I know people have mentioned the uneven wear on the fronts due to the positive camber... it is kinda driving me nuts thinking something is wrong, but I've heard its normal. My car works pretty well but I can see on the tires that I'm really only running on the outer 1/4 of the tires most of the time. Eventually this will wear and I'll have those coned tires people have mentioned. Doesn't this cause some handling/performance issues? How do you deal with it?

Car is new to me so I have no prior experience to draw on.
__________________
www.hobbyplexraceway.com

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #1594
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Some posts back, someone did mention the 3Racing front arms do allow camber adjustments. I'm not sure how it affects handling because I've never tried it. Of course they wouldn't be TAC legal.
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #1595
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

You can either just true them periodically or get this which will help some and is TCS legal..

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Tamiya-Formul...mZ350163411723

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
I hope this isn't something that has been discussed over and over again and I just missed it... but here goes.

I know people have mentioned the uneven wear on the fronts due to the positive camber... it is kinda driving me nuts thinking something is wrong, but I've heard its normal. My car works pretty well but I can see on the tires that I'm really only running on the outer 1/4 of the tires most of the time. Eventually this will wear and I'll have those coned tires people have mentioned. Doesn't this cause some handling/performance issues? How do you deal with it?

Car is new to me so I have no prior experience to draw on.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #1596
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
Some posts back, someone did mention the 3Racing front arms do allow camber adjustments. I'm not sure how it affects handling because I've never tried it. Of course they wouldn't be TAC legal.
NOT TCS LEGAL: You can shave down the formed in spacers in the middle on the upper A arm assembly and by tightening the center down, with different shims in their place, change the camber angle. As the center pulls down further, the king pin holes move in ever so slightly. I've been able to get the -0.5 degree camber I really like for handling to work.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #1597
Tech Regular
 
idwurks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 279
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to idwurks Send a message via Yahoo to idwurks
Default

Does anyone have a US source for the Chevron onboard camera? I really don't want to order across seas for such a small part. Thx!

Also - we are starting up a racing program in Huntington Beach in the parking lot at OCRC raceway. If anyone is in the area, it will begin next Saturday, March 7th 2009. Get there at 8am.

For more info check out: http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ad-racing.html
__________________
www.Idwurks.com | www.od12.com | www.TopRacingUSA.com
idwurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #1598
Tech Regular
 
inconceivable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idwurks View Post
Does anyone have a US source for the Chevron onboard camera? I really don't want to order across seas for such a small part. Thx!

Also - we are starting up a racing program in Huntington Beach in the parking lot at OCRC raceway. If anyone is in the area, it will begin next Saturday, March 7th 2009. Get there at 8am.

For more info check out: http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ad-racing.html
Have you tried running an F103 on the test track yet ? Just curious if they hook up at all ....
__________________
"And now the Matador shall dance with the blind shoe maker"
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936"
inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #1599
Tech Master
 
240Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,115
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Creations View Post
You can either just true them periodically or get this which will help some and is TCS legal..

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Tamiya-Formul...mZ350163411723
The part you speak of (#53258) is NLA from Tamiya. I wonder what the difference is between it and the A arm kit from the F103GT #51244? Anybody know?
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #1600
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

i was the one who said 3 racing makes the adjustable arms... why wouldnt they be legal?


the shim idea would not give a constant camber angle. the lower the suspension droops, the more camber. i dont think that would be wise. while turning, the outside wheel would be lower, increasing camber, losing contact patch.
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #1601
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

You can still find them...but not really easy. The GT parts are the same, except not everything you need is in that pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
The part you speak of (#53258) is NLA from Tamiya. I wonder what the difference is between it and the A arm kit from the F103GT #51244? Anybody know?
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #1602
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
i was the one who said 3 racing makes the adjustable arms... why wouldnt they be legal?


the shim idea would not give a constant camber angle. the lower the suspension droops, the more camber. i dont think that would be wise. while turning, the outside wheel would be lower, increasing camber, losing contact patch.
3 Racing are made by 3 Racing. To be TCS legal, the part must come from Tamiya uncut, unmodified and out of the box assembled.

The "shim idea" is a proven theory for the stock out of the box fixed A arms. If you remove the 3 mm of plastic on the underside of the A arm and put the screws back in and tighten them all the way down, you'll get negative camber. The top and bottom arms should be touching now as the underside of the top A arm would be flat with the 2 nubs cut flush. About -2 degrees I think. By adding shims back in 1 or .5 mm increments you add positive camber back to the car. I stop adding shims when I reach .5 Degree of negative camber. An untreated A arm setup from Tamiya already has positive camber, so no, I would not shim one as out of the box they already roll on the outside of the tires.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #1603
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,287
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C View Post
Wonder what Tamiya's thinking when they put a 0 offset knuckle in the original kit?

I think they should do it the other way round.
that upright design was a carryover from earlier F1 chassis, so they were thinking cheap
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #1604
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
that upright design was a carryover from earlier F1 chassis, so they were thinking cheap

Typical capitalistic thinking...!! Way a go Tamiya!! Cheaper parts for us!

My local TCS is starting in another 2 weeks time!! We finally have the F1 class back this year!! Can't wait.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #1605
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton NZ
Posts: 7
Default Hi from NZ

Hello fellow F103RM addicts

Just wanted to say hi and how enjoyable it was reading the posts.

I race a F103RM in New Zealand where we have just had our National Champs.... geographically its a little bit of a challenge getting around NZ we didnt get too many drivers from down south but 12 cars were entered and a great time had by all.

Have especially enjoyed the photos of everyones rides WOW have I got some work to do !

Seems there are different rules down here Li Pos arent legal down here yet looks like from most of the posts we are a little stuck for motors too as we run 27turns. Apart from that it all looks pretty familiar.

Cheers Si
sijorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tamiya f103 gt madmiki Australia For Sale/Trade 1 02-04-2009 12:13 AM
looking for a Tamiya F103 GT level-4 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 05-22-2008 04:56 PM
Tamiya F103 GT heavy Australia For Sale/Trade 3 05-15-2006 02:49 AM
WTB: Tamiya buggy & Tamiya f103 stuff rays_tt Australia Wanted to Buy 2 04-20-2006 07:10 AM
Tamiya F103 or F103 Parts MM-F1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 04-24-2004 04:14 PM


Tags
rasta scbc


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:27 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net