R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2002, 11:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Illegal motors?????

What would be a good way to approach someone if you think someone you were racing aginst is using a illegal motor?
grinch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
Tech Master

Default Re: Illegal motors?????

Quote:
Originally posted by grinch77
What would be a good way to approach someone if you think someone you were racing aginst is using a illegal motor?
I would approach them with a very large blunt object.
Modena AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 11:28 PM   #3
Tech Adept

effective but not very ethical
Old 01-06-2002, 05:07 AM   #4
Tech Addict

OK a large sharp object!
Yokomo Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 05:08 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Or just report it to an official at the track so he/she can investigate the motor to see if it is illegal.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:42 AM   #6
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

or maybe secretly take the car, and change that "illegal motor" into one of those stock tamiya 540 motors...hahaha!!
disaster999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 06:38 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Disaster999
or maybe secretly take the car, and change that "illegal motor" into one of those stock tamiya 540 motors...hahaha!!
Haha good idea!
Old 01-06-2002, 07:43 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Dragon

or use a sledge hammer on the car, and then say....whoops sorry.....it was going too fast!

Last edited by Dragon; 01-06-2002 at 07:48 AM.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:00 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That's easy- ask them to sell you the motor. Offer them $30 or so for it. If they sell it to you, you will know for sure. It's either illegal or it's a very good stock motor, so you'll be getting a good motor for your money.

If they won't sell it, that doesn't mean it's illegal, but then again it might...

I have found that pretty much everything is for sale for the right price, and $30 is a good price for pretty much any stock motor. Does anyone else remember when ROAR had a rule about motor buyouts? About 15 years or so ago, ROAR had a rule that all stock motors could not cost more than $25, and all mods could not cost more than $75. If someone finished ahead of you, if you offered them $25 (or $75 if it was a mod) for their motor, they had to accept it or be disqualified. Obviously motors have come a long way since then and that rule probably wouldn't fly today, but it helped then. We have a "spec" class at our track, where everyone must run Trinity Street Spec motors and batteries. We are thinking of instituting a rule where between the heats and the mains, drivers must exchange motors.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:23 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to SpoonSports Send a message via Yahoo to SpoonSports

me and this other kid caught the guy who supplies and runs the lap countnig equipment cheat, he broke his car in the first 2 heats and before the main had 7 laps for his best, when some of the slower people atleast had 10 or more. we approached him about it and he blamed it on the lap counting system saying it does that some times and then he would try and change the subject real fast. it pisses me off when people do stuff like that.
SpoonSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:15 PM   #11
Tech Master

i have a really good stock motor and it is really really fast....and when people accussed me of cheating it pissed me off. They came real close to making me take it apart, which i would have done for them and then i would have shoved it down their throat. Since there are good people on the board at my club they took no action because my pits are set up right next to thiers and they know that i dont cheat. All i have to say is make sure you know before you do anything...you will be that person bitch forever if it turns out that they were never cheating in the first place.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:18 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Be forewarned, cheaters are usually a bit more upset if they are caught or someone thinks they are cheating....

2 years ago a kid I was racing agianst claimed I was using illegal motors.. When the track director pointed out that his car was on the boards almost every turn and mine didn't even have a scratch on the 2 week old body, then the kid and his dad complained that they wanted him to tear down my motor, so I allowed it. He tore down the motor, and then they wanted him to unwind the motor!!!! At that point he told them if they couldn't handle the kid being beat they should teach him to drive and laughed at them....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:26 PM   #13
Tech Adept

The only reason I thoucht he might have a illegal motor is because it's a beaten to he** old Paradox can.From the looks of the can there is no way it could be running that fast.I'm running a P2K2 pro w/3000nimhHV and he is running non matched old 2400's with that Paradox.Last saturday for instance I was turning 27 laps with an average of 12.60mph and he was running 30 laps at 14mph and bouncing off walls like no tommorow.Just can't figure it out??????????
Old 01-07-2002, 03:27 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by grinch77
The only reason I thoucht he might have a illegal motor is because it's a beaten to he** old Paradox can.From the looks of the can there is no way it could be running that fast.I'm running a P2K2 pro w/3000nimhHV and he is running non matched old 2400's with that Paradox.Last saturday for instance I was turning 27 laps with an average of 12.60mph and he was running 30 laps at 14mph and bouncing off walls like no tommorow.Just can't figure it out??????????
are you sure its not YOUR driving?????????????????????
Old 01-07-2002, 03:42 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, one of the hot setups around here for a while was running a Paradox can with a P2K armature. Worked really well, but I'm still not sure why. However, according to ROAR rules, even though both the Paradox and the P2K are stock motors, it is illegal to mix and match armatures and cans not designed for each other.