R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2003, 06:26 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Battery charger recommendations

I'm looking to upgrade my old charger for something better, something in the $250 or less category. Anyone have any suggestions or first hand experience with the latest crop of chargers?

scott
www.southsideracing.com
morosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For 250 bling-blings u can get almost anything except the matchers(GM VIS or Turbo35)
my recommendation is the Integy 16x5 V6.charge/dis 1-10 cells,adjustable peak,all the bells n whistles.can even be used to match cells @20A's.
Next would be the Pulsar Competition.
I have used both the above,with the Integy making me more happy.
My advice(no shooting please) would be to stay away from the Novak Mill. Pro.Have heard of many problems.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:29 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NMRCDude

I say, that if your going to buy Integy, go all out and purchase the 16x9. Its there top charger, and I believe you can get it for under $250 (or around there).

Or, you could get a LRP Pulsar pro and a power supply for under $250, or a Quasar Pro for $169.

It all depends on what options you are looking for.
NMRCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

i just recently purchased a CDC charger ve 6/B by eagle racing. it really packs more Mah into your batts plus it discharges 1-10 cells up to 20 amps. it measures peak voltage, and bettery resistance on charging and discharging which would allow you to match batts. it charges, discharges, cycles yoru batts. it also has a "boost" feature that would allow you to increase the batts voltage. BOOSTING was designed for racing purposes.
the charger allows ni-mh and ni-cd batts.

i am so happy with it that i intend to get another one
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:07 AM   #5
CGR
Tech Regular

CE Pitbull.
CGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:10 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I currently own a CE Pitbull and a CS SpaceCharger. Both are very small, work extremely well and charge all types without any problems. These are great chargers for lugging around to different tracks since they are light and don't take much room in your pit ox or on your pit table.

You'll need a cent power supply to run these chargers. If I am only running one charger, I use a converted Com PS as it is small and light. If I need to run both at the same time, I use a Pyramid 30 amp unit.
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:51 AM   #7
sty
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Unhappy Need advice

Hi guys,

Going to buy a CDC version 5.0 from a friend, wonder if it is a good charger to start with as i am a beginner. Thanks in advance for all advice.
sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 01:48 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to melvin
Default Re: Need advice

If the price for the used CDC 5.0 is cheap and you are on a budget, consider it.

As you may be aware there is already a v6.0 that has additional features, worth mentioning is the different batteries profiles features that you can customise and save. The ability to read the discharging resistance is cool too.

One complaint about the 5.0 is that it often pause discharging in the middle of 20 amp discharge and give you a "Charger too hot" warning, after 30 seconds it will resumes discharging again. On the v6.0, i have not encounter this yet.

happy charging!

Quote:
Originally posted by sty
Hi guys,

Going to buy a CDC version 5.0 from a friend, wonder if it is a good charger to start with as i am a beginner. Thanks in advance for all advice.
melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:51 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kt racing

Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade my old charger for something better, something in the $250 or less category. Anyone have any suggestions or first hand experience with the latest crop of chargers?
look at the Novak chargers. Also check out ebay. You might be able to find a turbo 30, or 35 used for that price you can do that I would recomend the turbo's there the best charger on the market.
kt racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 09:39 AM   #10
sty
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Need advice

Quote:
Originally posted by melvin
If the price for the used CDC 5.0 is cheap and you are on a budget, consider it.

As you may be aware there is already a v6.0 that has additional features, worth mentioning is the different batteries profiles features that you can customise and save. The ability to read the discharging resistance is cool too.

One complaint about the 5.0 is that it often pause discharging in the middle of 20 amp discharge and give you a "Charger too hot" warning, after 30 seconds it will resumes discharging again. On the v6.0, i have not encounter this yet.

happy charging!
Thanks Melvin,

Guess i have bought it abit expensive, as the 6.0 is only about $270. But right now i am only using the charging mode and nothing else cos i dont have the manual, wonder if anyone can direct me to somewhere which i can obtain a manual. Thanks again melvin for your help.
sty is offline   Reply With Quote