R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Radio not working after car swap (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/227379-radio-not-working-after-car-swap.html)

ddzc 06-17-2008 09:41 AM

Radio not working after car swap

Hi all,

I ran in to the weirdest thing here...

I got rid of my old onroad and picked up a tc4. I swapped everything (radio,servo,esc,motor) from the old car in to the new one. The radio no longer works now. The steering and esc is not operational when the radio is on. If the speed control is on and the radio is off, the car throlles and steers like crazy until I power on the transmitter so there seems to be communication present. I tried re-seating the crystals..nothing. I installed an old receiver/radio in the car and it functioned without any problems so theres no issues with the electronics.

This is the only thing i'm a bit concerned about. My radio is a Ko Propo Precisious EX-1. I bought the remote used with rechargeable batteries in it (8). I used to use the adapter to charge them but I was unable to find it so I removed the cells and charged them individually. In the manual, I noticed that it states to install 7 AA batteries and to leave the dummy battery in the pack. I checked the pack and all 8 are rechargeable. The remote worked flawlessly in my other car until I put it in this car. I'm not sure if the shuffle of cells had anything to do with this..but im really lost and have no other suggestions at this point..

Also, does anyone know if theres a hard reset that can be done on the transmitter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

oldschoolracer 06-17-2008 09:54 AM

1) If there is a way to "hard reset" the transmitter it seems that would be covered in the manual - so get to reading.

2) I'm puzzled by your mention of "cell shuffling" as if it was before the swap, and everything actually worked before, it shouldn't be a problem now. If it was afterwards then it is a spot to sort out and at least know for sure.

3) Since it's obvious that you're having some sort of not receiving a signal from the transmitter problem have you bothered slapping in some straight alkaline AAs to make sure it's not the rechargables?

4) I always find it odd when people do these supposed "swaps" and have troubles because IF everything was working before it has to work now. My guess is your yoko sat for a while, you didn't know if it still worked because you never checked before tearing out the electronics, and only know that they don't work now.

5) Do the crystals match, do you know one or the other isn't bad (tried another set)?

6) Unless the radio says NOT to go above 7-cells, all going to 8 is doing is boosting your output signal strength via a little more voltage - but it's of negligible benefit, and really shouldn't hurt anything.

rccardr 06-17-2008 10:14 AM

Check the polarity of the plugs on the receiver in question- you might have them in backwards.

ddzc 06-17-2008 10:24 AM

1)
Doesn't mention this in the manual.

2)
I shuffled the cells after I swapped the electronics from the cars. I don't see how this would cause a problem though..

3)

I just tried other cells..no luck. Also, the cells that are in this remote was used in my spare remote which functioned OK

4)
I ran my yoko 1 day before I sold the car..your right if it was working before it should work now..im puzzled.

5)

the crystals match...the car wouldnt run in my old car if they didnt. I tried the others from my working radio/receive..no luck.

6)

it doesn't mention to not go above 7..just that there was a dummy cell..if it was working before with 8 rechargeables then it should work now..

---

rccardr, polarity is fine..i actually never unplugged the esc and servo from the receiver when i swapped the electronics.

Anyone know if I can swap the receiver with any novak xxl?

thanks