Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
"Floating Servo" holder - why would I want it? >

"Floating Servo" holder - why would I want it?

"Floating Servo" holder - why would I want it?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation "Floating Servo" holder - why would I want it?

Can someone explain to me why would I want a "floating servo" holder? For many, many years, we've always wanted for the steering servo to be fully locked down to the chassis. Now, it appears that we want it to "float"?

Can someone explain why would I want this now?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fully locking down the servo in the traditional way has a small influence on the flex of the car on the side of the servo. In effect, your putting a brace across the chassis, limiting flex.
'Floating' mounts do away with the bracing effect, by having a central mounting location, allowing the chassis under the servo to flex freely, theoretically evening up the flex.

HiH
Ed
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

imo it's more about getting the chasis more semetrical and not have a peice of the chasis hanging out 5 to 8mm just to secure the servo down on the outside......
Old 01-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hmmm. interesting, any examples of this new innovation? i would like to learn more.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

With a traditional side fixed servo and the current flex levels in the cars, an unwanted steering action is created.

This is because the bulkheads and steering pulleys run along the centre line of the chassis bracing it, and flex along the centre is limited, but the servo mounted on the edge moving with flex can move more relative to this centre line. The result is just by flexing the car you get a steering effect.
With a floating servo mount you'll notice they all pick up their mounting point along the centre line of the chassis and so flex and move about at the same rate as the bulkheads and steering pulleys. The end result is you can flex the chassis about all you want and the servo and steering pulleys just all move together and you get no unwanted steering affect.

Not bracing the chassis on one corner evening out flex and preventing tweak is an added bonus of doing this.

Last edited by YZFAndy; 01-22-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Nubs rub in the sweeper and make the car harder to drive.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alcyon
hmmm. interesting, any examples of this new innovation? i would like to learn more.
X-Ray T4
Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
X-Ray T4
Also the T3 2012 came with a fixed servo, then they released a kit to make it "float". Floating the servo will allow the chassis to flex evenly in both directions.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

what abou tthe lipo side? We're gonna have floating lipos too?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
Lipo's are fixed fairly loosely in comparison to the servo mount, so the effect on flex is very marginal...enough to be able to rule it out as the chassis can freely flex underneath the lipo as there is no positive locking between the battery and the chassis itself. the same story goes for the receiver and speedy, the double sided tape flexes with the chassis negating the effect.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

This would be the next servo mount all TC cars will follow. It simply makes so much sense to have it that way!

http://www.redrc.net/2013/01/serpent...-servo-holder/
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
Floating lipos, what next pigs flying, can't wait for that.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mental_raycer
Lipo's are fixed fairly loosely in comparison to the servo mount, so the effect on flex is very marginal...enough to be able to rule it out as the chassis can freely flex underneath the lipo as there is no positive locking between the battery and the chassis itself. the same story goes for the receiver and speedy, the double sided tape flexes with the chassis negating the effect.
Originally Posted by Adam B
Also the T3 2012 came with a fixed servo, then they released a kit to make it "float". Floating the servo will allow the chassis to flex evenly in both directions.
The idea of a floating mount is not really to allow the chassis to flex. There are much easier and cheaper ways to do this like servo tape and single sided mounts. The idea is aimed more at allowing the servo and steering pulleys/rack to move about at the same rate relative to each other and to stop unwanted steering action as the chassis flex's.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CCDrift
Floating lipos, what next pigs flying, can't wait for that.
floating touring cars!

I'll be damned if electronics float off the chassis like that in the future hahaha
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cyanyde
This would be the next servo mount all TC cars will follow. It simply makes so much sense to have it that way!

http://www.redrc.net/2013/01/serpent...-servo-holder/
The T4 uses a mount like that now. Only attaches to the chassis near the belt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.