R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2003, 06:33 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Front spool, over and under drive

Hello everyone, i have a question that's been really eating me up. I have a Losi xxx-s and was wondering if anyone could explain when and where would you use the front spool setup that came in the kit and also the underdrive diff... just maybe some simple track scenrios that could benefit from the use of these things. before i start messing with things that don't need messing with...
tricklosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:32 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I believe it's all in the manual but,

Overdriven - less off power steering but more steering when exiting turns.

Under driven - More off power steering but less steering when exiting turns.

Oneway with overdrive - more stable full time 4wd feel, keeps oneway bearing engaged longer. Can compensate for different diameter tyres.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Tech Addict

What Fatdoggy will in fact work for over/underdrive with a diff up front... but bear in mind that everything changes when a spool goes into the car - in fact most things seem to act in just the opposite of they are "supposed" to with the Losi...

My advice is to try a couple of things and see what happens!!

Wilde
Old 08-11-2003, 11:08 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys, as of right now i'm totally happy with the way the car handles and performs but theres always room for more...
Old 08-16-2003, 01:24 AM   #5
Tech Regular

With this evenings hack fest bonanza, I bet the front spool would have helped had it been mounted as a harpoon off the rear of your car Or maybe some of those wheel mounted spikes:ALA Speed Race 2000, might have kept those bumper happy folks a bit further off your backside. First time I have seen the Sportsman class swap more paint then the Novice class. Your car looked pretty stuck when you had no one attempting to realign your tweak by using you as burm Oh well, see you tomorrow for some track time with less contact, see how those ten turns do on the carpet.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 03:42 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

yeah it was pretty bad tonight to say the least...but over all after all the hacking that went on i'm glad to say that i'm happy with the handling right now...i'm thinking about installing small re-tractable posts on the sides of the car that when one of those monkeys gets close it'll pop out and throw them into the wall But tomorrow will be some sick track time with the ole 10t .....
Old 08-16-2003, 10:20 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

WOW that's all i have to say, i just came back from hours of track time and tweakin and discovered that using the overdrive pulley for the front diff on my Losi made a world of difference on a tight technical track.....
Old 08-16-2003, 10:33 PM   #8
Tech Regular

It was definitely carrying more speed into and a bit more out of the corners. Not sure but I would guess that is going to put a bit more stress on the diff's, as it would seem to create a bit more diff action and scrub-off some where. So, bit more speed with added maintenance, you know me, not even gonna bother I hope with the bit lower spring rates, like almost half should get me the last bit of the puzzle to finally getting this car comfortable on that carpet.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote