R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Couple of newb questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/226757-couple-newb-questions.html)

Flying Monkey 06-13-2008 07:36 PM

Couple of newb questions

Ok im new to both on-road and electric. Here are a few questions im just not finding answers that make sense for. Keep in mind im running brushed if that matters

If i gear for a 4 cell set up. and i put a 6 cell in for practice or whatever will it cause abnormal temps?

motor temps..im told try to keep like 170. is that at the can or the armature at the endbell.

For fdr gearing is a 27t a 27t a 27t. like if i run a CO27t and switch to a stockstar 27t can i expect to be able to use same gearing or will it change per motor?

It is best to wire straight to motor from ESC or deans connector between to make swapping motors easier? Will using deans connector cause loss of too much voltage?

Im sure ill have more later. But these will help alot. Thanks in advance.

pug 205 gti 06-14-2008 02:27 AM

I would solder each motor in the car (practise makes perfect)
And each motor will require a slight different gearing to extract the best performance.

Flying Monkey 06-15-2008 07:13 AM

anyone on the other questions?

oldschoolracer 06-15-2008 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey (Post 4537313)
If i gear for a 4 cell set up. and i put a 6 cell in for practice or whatever will it cause abnormal temps?.

Two issues arise: 1) yes, temps will rise since you're pushing more volts and amps; and 2) you're totally going to dork up or misjudge the handling of the car from adding the weight of the 6-cell

motor temps..im told try to keep like 170. is that at the can or the armature at the endbell..

at the can

For fdr gearing is a 27t a 27t a 27t. like if i run a CO27t and switch to a stockstar 27t can i expect to be able to use same gearing or will it change per motor?.

Every motor is different. Though they might be close, every motor (even the same brand) could have a different sweetspot on gearing selection.

It is best to wire straight to motor from ESC or deans connector between to make swapping motors easier? Will using deans connector cause loss of too much voltage?.

Deans don't hurt much, if at all. Personally I straight wire to the motor - the primary reason I do is to keep it so there is one less connection to come loose or keep an eye on (wires can break at the solder joint), which is a terrible reason to drop out of a race.

Flying Monkey 06-15-2008 08:04 AM

Great, thanks oldschoolracer for the detailed answers. They helped alot:nod: