R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Since AE made this car a 4-cell car, Reedy better come out with a 3.7V LiPO for that tray.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Rules say that 4-cell Nimh is the only battery you can run so why use a battery that you can compete with? And why would you want two throw the weight of the car off when adding a lighter lipo pack? This makes no sense this is going to kill this class unless you guys start using the correct equipment

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #78
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64 View Post
Rules say that 4-cell Nimh is the only battery you can run so why use a battery that you can compete with? And why would you want two throw the weight of the car off when adding a lighter lipo pack? This makes no sense this is going to kill this class unless you guys start using the correct equipment
What rules? Your rules?

What ever 1/10 pan car I buy, I will run 3.7V lipo at my club track so that I can run the same motors that I was running in Sedan.

If I attend a large race, I'll just use a 4.8V NiMh just like I use in my oval car.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
What rules? Your rules?

What ever 1/10 pan car I buy, I will run 3.7V lipo at my club track so that I can run the same motors that I was running in Sedan.

If I attend a large race, I'll just use a 4.8V NiMh just like I use in my oval car.

I know that people are intending to run the rules as laid out at teh IIC. No one has made an established sanctioning body for World GT (and GTP) but Im sure that somebody is going to want to do something here in the next few months as we get to the US Indoor Champs and Snowbird Nationals
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #80
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

man i wish the yanks would get over their small indoor carpet track mentality, there are people out there who run on large outdoor tracks.

In Aus the lipo rules have been adopted for all classes, no one is interested in Nimh, the local matchers have already started to decommission the matching machines. Nimh is dead, why start a new class running old Tech, and dont bring up the weight issue, thats what lead is for, the same as what we need to do for TC, just add the required weight, make the weight rules 1200,1300 whatever.

For our racing market i am thinking Lipo only, spec motor, 17.5, 13.5 or 10.5
(IMO 10.5 is too fast for most people, but that is what we have been running with the Tamiya F103GT class)
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What rules? Your rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
I know that people are intending to run the rules as laid out at teh IIC. No one has made an established sanctioning body for World GT (and GTP) but Im sure that somebody is going to want to do something here in the next few months as we get to the US Indoor Champs and Snowbird Nationals
Sorry I wasn't trying to imply that the rules for the class were not written. I was just saying that for what ever rules, I was going to ingnore them at the local scene so I can run LiPO. I wouldn't be fair for me to be running the same motor and 2.6V more than everyone else, so I thought I would run 3.7V lipo and the same motor while everyone else held onto 4.8V. I wasn't looking to cause a fight, but heck I like to scuffle once and a while. I was looking at the 3.7V lipo as a way for me to race on the cheap and save my 4-cell packs for oval.

I do agree, follow in the footsteps of the Birds and IIC with rules that a fairly compatible with both events. NiMH is not dead yet and racers need more speed, there is always a 2T brushless motor.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Sorry but there are rules for the class. There been rules for the class for over 20 years. We just have people make cars now and trying to get the rules change to fit their car. Or People who put on racers not having any clues on what the rules are.

Go to the www.roarracing.com and check out page 52 of the rule book.

That why the old timer that been around for a long time set up the rules for the BBR Sports-Prototype GTP & GT Challenge

235mm Class = Prototype, Group C, GTP, Can-Am type bodies
200mm Class = GT bodies, ie. Corvette, Vipers, etc.

If you do not have enough to split the class then you run them together. We have done it all year and it fun. Some run a 200mm with a gas GTP body in the 235mm class.

Power
7.4 lipo or six cell sub C w/13.5 brushless
4 Cell nickel metal hydride sub C batteries w/10.5 brushless or 19T brushed.

So far we are seeing about the same lap time with both. 4 cell and lipo car add a bit more weight to get the car more up to the 6 cell car. I found the 6 cell car have a bit more rear grip.

Some places you might have to go with 13.5 and 17.5 to make it work but we like what we seen so far.

Spec tires are great but one type is not so great. I like the old spec tires you have a few chooses that can help tune you car. It dose not help to have a spec tire that dose not work on the track you race on.

With these rules we just let ever one that want to run what they have and not have to go out a buy new cell or ever worse can not get new cell.

Now back on topic I think you can easy do some cutting to fit a saddle pack lipo on this car.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I dont think anyone is just assuming that the new Jaco Lilac (BSR Team Purple) tires do not work on asphalt.

Here is a little something written about them by somebody you may know Taz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby
When I first saw that there was going to be a spec tire at the IIC for the World GT class I thought, "Why?" We run what ever we want in 1/12th, why would we do anything different for World GT. Then when I saw that it was going to be lilac front and rear!?!? I was even more spooked. I almost decided not to enter World GT. I thought OMG! The new 200mm cars will not have enough rear traction and it will be a fiasco!! Surprise, surprise! There was more than enough rear grip with the lilac rears. In fact, I struggled with getting enough steering at the IIC in World GT.

I then ran them outdoors on a medium to high bite asphalt track and again to my surprise, I had plenty of rear grip. In fact, struggled with enough steering again. This is very good news!!
While it is always easier to get steering, it is not always easy to get rear grip. Especially on asphalt. The Jaco spec tire for World GT works just fine. Indoor and outdoor. No need to purchase anything else.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz_S View Post
Sorry but there are rules for the class. There been rules for the class for over 20 years. We just have people make cars now and trying to get the rules change to fit their car. Or People who put on racers not having any clues on what the rules are.

Go to the www.roarracing.com and check out page 52 of the rule book.

That why the old timer that been around for a long time set up the rules for the BBR Sports-Prototype GTP & GT Challenge

235mm Class = Prototype, Group C, GTP, Can-Am type bodies
200mm Class = GT bodies, ie. Corvette, Vipers, etc.

If you do not have enough to split the class then you run them together. We have done it all year and it fun. Some run a 200mm with a gas GTP body in the 235mm class.

Power
7.4 lipo or six cell sub C w/13.5 brushless
4 Cell nickel metal hydride sub C batteries w/10.5 brushless or 19T brushed.

So far we are seeing about the same lap time with both. 4 cell and lipo car add a bit more weight to get the car more up to the 6 cell car. I found the 6 cell car have a bit more rear grip.

Some places you might have to go with 13.5 and 17.5 to make it work but we like what we seen so far.

Spec tires are great but one type is not so great. I like the old spec tires you have a few chooses that can help tune you car. It dose not help to have a spec tire that dose not work on the track you race on.

With these rules we just let ever one that want to run what they have and not have to go out a buy new cell or ever worse can not get new cell.

Now back on topic I think you can easy do some cutting to fit a saddle pack lipo on this car.

Taz,

Its possible to use 6 niMah cells sub-c on a RC10R5 chassis ?if so, how ?

thanks,

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #85
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Could the 10R5 be released for the older Associated front end? The new front end is a hangup for me since I would rather use the older style like all my oval and 1:12 cars.
I don īt think they will release a new chassis for the old front end. Itīs just bad they made the mounting holes different so you canīt go back to the old one.
I just hope they wonīt cancel production for the old front end parts.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #86
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Taz,

thanks,
I think the only way for using 6 cell Nimh or stick-type Lipos would be inline as the Gen X-10. Donīt know if there is enough room or if the servo will prevent this. Maybe also saddlepack configuration but for sure the battery across the chassis wonīt work.

Regarding 3.7V Lipo, I think this is too low of a voltage, this isnīt similar to 4cell but to 3cell. ESC and servo maybe wonīt work very good.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #87
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
man i wish the yanks would get over their small indoor carpet track mentality, there are people out there who run on large outdoor tracks.

In Aus the lipo rules have been adopted for all classes, no one is interested in Nimh, the local matchers have already started to decommission the matching machines. Nimh is dead, why start a new class running old Tech, and dont bring up the weight issue, thats what lead is for, the same as what we need to do for TC, just add the required weight, make the weight rules 1200,1300 whatever.

For our racing market i am thinking Lipo only, spec motor, 17.5, 13.5 or 10.5
(IMO 10.5 is too fast for most people, but that is what we have been running with the Tamiya F103GT class)

And that is why you guys can't hold our jocks on the track!! Remeber we run this house Just kidding but adding lead to a car sucks!!! I would rather have the weight added to the battery or the manufacture add the weight to the car.

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think you could stack the cells. Something like below. Just a suggestion.

0 0
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
I dont think anyone is just assuming that the new Jaco Lilac (BSR Team Purple) tires do not work on asphalt.

Here is a little something written about them by somebody you may know Taz:
For rear tires yes you do nees some softer. And Some thing you should know i was at that race he test that and seen what was going on with the test.

And guest what i would lot use them on my car i like a bit more grip in the rear of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Taz,

thanks,
not i can see with out getting a new chassie but like i said in the post you can do some cutting and get saddle pack Lipo to work.

Now they might be a way but staking the two cell on to of the four that are on the cut out.

. .
Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can someone who has this kit tell me if it comes with wheels and tires? And if so what compound?

THX
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote