R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #751
Tech Master

That's what I ended up doing using an older left hub with the two screws. It's just weird both R5s oval & on road have the same problem. At first I thought I wasn't clamping it down hard enough.
rcgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #752
Tech Master

I have read somewhere that someone had good results with the original hub when he tapped a 4/40 thread and used a 4/40 screw instead of the original 2/56 screw. It seemd to have cured the problem of a loose hub.

Instead of the 4/40 you might use 3mm screw instead to stay with an all metric screwsize. Not sure if there is enough material on that side of the hub though but might be worth trying out.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #753
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
I have read somewhere that someone had good results with the original hub when he tapped a 4/40 thread and used a 4/40 screw instead of the original 2/56 screw. It seemd to have cured the problem of a loose hub.

Instead of the 4/40 you might use 3mm screw instead to stay with an all metric screwsize. Not sure if there is enough material on that side of the hub though but might be worth trying out.
There is a lot of space.
I mod my hub for 2x M3.

regards!
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #754
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz View Post
There is a lot of space.
I mod my hub for 2x M3.

regards!
Thats cool! The most my left hub moves in all my 12r's and 10r is maybe a mm. Thats all day of racing!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #755
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgen View Post
I am have problems with my left side hub loosening up. Is anyone else having this occurring too? I race oval also and having the same problem with the left side hub also. Both cars are R5
The problem is the axle.

I have a bunch of KSG hubs and axles, and almost always bought them before, but KSG parts are hard to get sometimes. The KSG axle OD's are also a couple thousandths smaller than the IRS stuff. About a year ago, I was unable to get a KSG hub, so I put on an IRS unit I had. I would come off in one heat in 17.5 1s spec truck.

I bought an IRS axle and it fixed it.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:24 AM   #756
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hi!

AE axles are fine, cheap and fine but they need two screw clamping

Just cut AE left hub, add 2nd screw for 4/40 or 3mm(small material left)
and it works

At old ae forum in UK I wrote it in the past, but then forum died and I can't back my stories
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #757
Tech Elite

Yep, three years ago when the 10R5 first came out all of us using it had issues with the hub slipping.

Some tried building up the axle with CA, others tried making the clamp tighter. Since I have a full CF bicycle and use CF assembly compound I gave that a shot. Well, three years later it still works. Total effort, 5 seconds. Cost, $30/tube of compound .
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #758
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I use a product that you can find in a bicycle shop it is a carbon fiber assembly compound. A little dab on the carbon axle will keep the hub in place without overtightening the screw or damaging anything.
Quote:
Yep, three years ago when the 10R5 first came out all of us using it had issues with the hub slipping.

Some tried building up the axle with CA, others tried making the clamp tighter. Since I have a full CF bicycle and use CF assembly compound I gave that a shot. Well, three years later it still works. Total effort, 5 seconds. Cost, $30/tube of compound .
I just purchased a ketchup packet sized bit of this, 5g for about $5, at one of the local high end bike shops. Works great, thanks for the tip.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #759
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I just purchased a ketchup packet sized bit of this, 5g for about $5, at one of the local high end bike shops. Works great, thanks for the tip.
Yep, that's about the right price. Put it in a safe place and it will last you almost forever.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #760
Tech Elite

I am so ready for a new 10r5.1, 2012 edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #761
Tech Master

Is there going to be another edition of the 10r5 WGT anytime soon? I thought that they said that in the current environment/economy that the only way to break even on the car was direct sales.

I'd love to see it in the regular catalog again, with a few changes!

Heck, I'd be happy if their team drivers just got some press coverage with the car. Guess we'll have to watch the results from the 'Birds and see what comes out of it.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #762
Tech Elite

I was just wishing!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #763
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #764
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Yep, that's about the right price. Put it in a safe place and it will last you almost forever.
A bunch of places are selling it on ebay. Just type in carbon fiber assembly paste, or pay a visit to the local bike shop.

Great tip for keeping the axle clamp in place.
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #765
Tech Master

Default My eBay rescue

Rescued this one from eBay. Needed a complete rear axle rework, some new carbon parts, some new aluminum parts, and plenty of metric hardware where SAE hardware had been run into the aluminum. I did a complete tear down and reassembly of it, including the carbon edge detailing work. Just got done going through it with my Hudy set-up and tweak stations, READY TO ROCK!!!

I bought some tuning/set up parts and extra repair parts too, but not many as it shares a LOT of parts with my 10R5O and 12R5 (parts bins for both already well stocked). I'm planning on bringing in some oval specific parts for the suspension to help reliability and help keep it smooth. More to follow on that once my parts get here!

All in all, I'm still in it much cheaper than a new one, especially with the useable 3 1/2 sets of tires (once cut down) and body that it came with, not to mention 2 CRC 1S lipos.

We finally have enough interest to run WGT at my home track. We'll be going 13.5 blinky, 930 grams. 6 or more cars expected.

So far, just kit set up to baseline it. Needed 55 grams to bring it up to legal weight. Balances within 3grams left to right. The first practice day should get any issues sorted out.