R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #286
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Question to those of you running 1s + novak booster. how the heck do you mount this little thing? It would be nice if it came in a little plastic box so it could be taped to the chassis... Any tips on how and where? Thanks...

Cpt.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Question to those of you running 1s + novak booster. how the heck do you mount this little thing? It would be nice if it came in a little plastic box so it could be taped to the chassis... Any tips on how and where? Thanks...

Cpt.
servo tape on top of the, uhh, ummm, servo.

It comes loose once in a while but I just re-stick it.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #288
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello all,

Just got a RC10R5 last week and ran it for the first time this past weekend and had a blast. Built it like the instructions said, put it on the track and it ran great. I want a little more steering in it, but its my first pan car so I am having fun learning what does what.

Anyway, I have a question about the Sophia body. I ran the Corvette body the first time out with the car but purchased a Sophia this week because I figured it might be just what i need for a little more steering. Mounted it up and went uh oh when I saw how low the front end is I don't see a way possible to run the foam bumper with this body. With the foam bumper off, the body JUST covers the front carbon bumper plate. Has anyone else run into this problem? Are you just suppose to run that style of body with no foam bumper? The thought of not having any protection for the carbon makes me a little nervous lol
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
Hello all,

Just got a RC10R5 last week and ran it for the first time this past weekend and had a blast. Built it like the instructions said, put it on the track and it ran great. I want a little more steering in it, but its my first pan car so I am having fun learning what does what.

Anyway, I have a question about the Sophia body. I ran the Corvette body the first time out with the car but purchased a Sophia this week because I figured it might be just what i need for a little more steering. Mounted it up and went uh oh when I saw how low the front end is I don't see a way possible to run the foam bumper with this body. With the foam bumper off, the body JUST covers the front carbon bumper plate. Has anyone else run into this problem? Are you just suppose to run that style of body with no foam bumper? The thought of not having any protection for the carbon makes me a little nervous lol
I just mounted mine a little farther forward.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #290
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I just mounted mine a little farther forward.
Well I might have to do that on my next one, but I was going off the scribed wheel well markings on the body. The wheels are perfectly centered as its mounted now. I was planning on trying the inline front axle and that will probably help as well. Then maybe only the rear will be off. But thanks for the reply
Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #291
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
servo tape on top of the, uhh, ummm, servo.

It comes loose once in a while but I just re-stick it.
You have to use the Parma clear servo tape and stack a few small strips together to build up the tape, and then one large piece under the whole thing and it will stay down good. Be sure to spray some motor spray on a towel and wipe off the servo and the Novak booster before applying the tape.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #292
Tech Apprentice

Hi Guys

Just wanted to share with you my latest upgrade on my wide 235mm R5.
I've changed the Full Option LiPo conversion with a self made Stick-LiPo-Battery tray. The pics are crappy, but I hope you can still see good enough...

I've used B44 battery posts and nuts. So, beside a Tamiya 3mm alu shim, everything stays within the "family"...
The lower frame is made from 3mm carbon, the upper battery strap is made from 2mm carbon...literally 'hand cut' with a Dremel...

By the way, referring back to my posts where I said that the R5 is not going as good as the CRC GenX10 out of the box. I've now found out why this is the case at least with mine. My 200mm RC10R5, ordered very early after its release last year, has the steering blocks from the RC12R5 mounted, which are much shorter than the real RC10R5 steering blocks. Due to this, it has infinite steering and far too much Ackermann if you leave the servo at the mounting position indicated in the manual. That gives you a hard time finding the correct set up to be fast...this could have been the problem with my R5 at least...
I have to change the steering blocks to the correct ones and then test again with the basic setup to see whether this was really the problem...Just wanted to share this with you...

Cheers
Andy
Old 06-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #293
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Let us know how it handles compared to the CRC Gen X 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiF View Post
Hi Guys

Just wanted to share with you my latest upgrade on my wide 235mm R5.
I've changed the Full Option LiPo conversion with a self made Stick-LiPo-Battery tray. The pics are crappy, but I hope you can still see good enough...

I've used B44 battery posts and nuts. So, beside a Tamiya 3mm alu shim, everything stays within the "family"...
The lower frame is made from 3mm carbon, the upper battery strap is made from 2mm carbon...literally 'hand cut' with a Dremel...

By the way, referring back to my posts where I said that the R5 is not going as good as the CRC GenX10 out of the box. I've now found out why this is the case at least with mine. My 200mm RC10R5, ordered very early after its release last year, has the steering blocks from the RC12R5 mounted, which are much shorter than the real RC10R5 steering blocks. Due to this, it has infinite steering and far too much Ackermann if you leave the servo at the mounting position indicated in the manual. That gives you a hard time finding the correct set up to be fast...this could have been the problem with my R5 at least...
I have to change the steering blocks to the correct ones and then test again with the basic setup to see whether this was really the problem...Just wanted to share this with you...

Cheers
Andy
Old 06-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #294
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso1967 View Post
Let us know how it handles compared to the CRC Gen X 10.
I will...as soon as I get the chance to take it out for a ride...

Just an additional remark: Some of you may notice that the battery is not centered. This is purposely done like that. If all the electronics now are added to the left side, the car will be balanced without using additional balancing weights. I've tested this on my 200mm R5 with the Full Option LiPo Conversion and it worked out very fine...

Cheers,
Andy
Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #295
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

anyone know who has part 4666 (the r5 side shocks) in stock?
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #296
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Are the 8427 front springs the softest springs that you can run on the 10r5? I would like to be able to run a softer spring up front, but it appears the kit springs (which feel WAY too stiff for my tastes) are the softest? Anybody have any tips?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/32627
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #297
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Are the 8427 front springs the softest springs that you can run on the 10r5? I would like to be able to run a softer spring up front, but it appears the kit springs (which feel WAY too stiff for my tastes) are the softest? Anybody have any tips?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/32627
Part of the problem with running a softer spring is that they will collapse faster and you will end up replacing them frequently. If you are looking to pick up steering get your car setup with some inline blocks and/or look to free up the rear of the car.

If you don't have it already keep this with you (it's for 1/12th but applies to the WGT as well)

http://richardchang.com/hobby.php?topic=112setup
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #298
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdut View Post
Part of the problem with running a softer spring is that they will collapse faster and you will end up replacing them frequently. If you are looking to pick up steering get your car setup with some inline blocks and/or look to free up the rear of the car.

If you don't have it already keep this with you (it's for 1/12th but applies to the WGT as well)

http://richardchang.com/hobby.php?topic=112setup
Wow awesome link, I have been looking for something like this....thanks for sharing that
Old 06-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #299
Tech Apprentice

Finally, the wide R5 ready-to-run with PF Peugeot P905B HD body I took from my RC10L2...

The car is almost fully balanced without balancing weigt, I only had to add 7.5gr to the right side due to the fact that I determined the battery position using a TC Spec ESC along with a Spektrum SR3500 micro receiver. The now finally used GM Genius 120 ESC with the Spektrum SR300 receiver seem to put up this 7.5gr more weight.

The motor is a Speed Passion Comp 2.0 4.5T laying around since last year...

I'm really looking forward to the roll out...i'll keep you updated...

Cheers
Andy
Old 06-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #300
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Try to get some video for us if possible. I'll try to get some video with my gen x 10 at this track in the next couple of weeks.

Novak GTB
Novak 3.5r