R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #241
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
well you should see JoostK 's car. He made a wide version of the rc10r5 with t-bar. Used the same shock configuration as the rc10r5, so only one shock in the middle for side movement and one centershock but with a full width 230mm rear pod and front setup. He designed the chassis himself. If you saw the pictures you would think it is a new associated 235mm production model. It looks really good. He used 2 standoffs on each side to put a carbon brace on to hold each saddlepack. NO tape! Everything in nice blue aluminium. Top notch stuff!

Or shouldn't i have said that joost? ;-)
No problem here Alexander... No sweat dude!!! So YES, I have made my second Pro10 project based on the R5 completely!!! It is now for like 95% done. There are still some Tamiya/TRF parts on the car which should be replaced by Associated parts any time now...

I made a combination of both the RC12R5 T-bar cenversion set and the RC10R5...

Joost.

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #242
Tech Master

Build the shock like it says in the manual. (i presume you have a rc10r5?)Put everything on the chasis race ready, batteries and all. Then adjust your shock so the pod is level with the rest of the chasis. Make sure the pod can tilt backwards (or down like you said) for 1 to 2 mm but not more. You can check this by looking at the shock shaft and measure the movement. If it isn't then you have to adjust the shock. This can mean that the balcup needs to be extended a little.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 AM   #243
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
my car is a bare chassis right now as i'm just building it. when holding the main chassis and i look at it from the side the rear pod is in line with the main chassis. i can move the rear pod upward like it would when the car is hitting bumps but the downward travel is basically none.
That's ok. If you used the small black plastic spacer when building the center shock, the droop of the rear pod is automatically limited to almost 'zero', which is good to start with. Too much droop will end in less on power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
also any input on my shock question?
The shock ends are to be pushed all the way up on the shock shaft. Just slide the shock shaft to the full opposite end and then push the rod end onto it and secure it with the set screw.
If you do that and you are using the spacer mentioned above, the length of the shock and the droop of the rear pod are ok to start with.

Hope this helps...

Rgds,
Andy
Old 05-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #244
Tech Master

Hey andy,

This summervacation i am going to switzerland. I am going to stay in Interlaken but will travel to other cities as well. How far away is the track you are running from Interlaken?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #245
Tech Apprentice

Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #246
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
This summervacation i am going to switzerland. I am going to stay in Interlaken but will travel to other cities as well. How far away is the track you are running from Interlaken?
Well, we are running on different places. Since Switzerland is not so big, We have four tracks within 2.5 hours drive.

The nearest track for you would be the RC-Motodrom, which is about 70km to the west of Interlaken.

The track we are using the most because it's the nearest for us is the Minidrom in Herblingen/Schaffhausen, which would be about 225km from Interlaken.

Then, there's another one in Dintikon (Hobbyshop Haessig), that one would be about 145km from Interlaken.

Last but not least, the fastest track in northern Switerland, the Minidrom in Sitterdorf (eastern Switzerland), about 250 km from Interlaken.

When are you coming to Switzerland and for how long?

Rgds,
Andy
Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #247
Tech Master

I will be there beginning of august. For 10 days or so. Will vissit geneve, zurich and bern as well. Had an idea to maybe vissit a track then. Not sure yet though. Have to see how the plans will work out.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
@Trackdesigner
I understand what you are saying. The more pancars the better, be it 200mm, 220mm, 235mm whatever. Last year were saying as well eveything can be driven during the race, even f1's. No rules except 10.5t brushless or 19turns brushed motors and 2s lipo's or 6 cel nihms. Just to attract as many drivers as possible. Wel it worked great with a great turn out. We still say everything is allowed.

I am not hoping 200mm is going away. For me 200mm or 235mm is fine to race together. It doesn't need there own class or something like that. It is great fun to see all those different cars driving together, 200mm pancar with a gt body, 200mm f1's, 235 lemans cars.

But Its is just natural selection once they see the corner speeds of the wide pans they want to build a wide car as well. Same with brushless and lipo's. Once they get brushless and lipo's they don't want to go back. That is why some people say they want associated to build a propper wide version for the european market wich is designed for 2s lipo.

Normaly my pod is even with my chasis with 1 to 2 mm of rear movement of the pod.
I get what your saying 2wdrive. Ive had a 235mm car myself. My thing is that it seems that 10th pan is the only class in onroad (or really in just about any class of in electric) where it almost feels like you have two almost factions within the same class. I mean touring cars are getting ridiculously expensive and this would be a perfect time for people to see 10th pan (be it 200mm or 235mm) as an alternative to the growing money pit that is the TC class.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #249
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joost K. View Post
No problem here Alexander... No sweat dude!!! So YES, I have made my second Pro10 project based on the R5 completely!!! It is now for like 95% done. There are still some Tamiya/TRF parts on the car which should be replaced by Associated parts any time now...

I made a combination of both the RC12R5 T-bar cenversion set and the RC10R5...

Joost.
I just notice something. Didn't you glue the edges yet?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #250
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
I get what your saying 2wdrive. Ive had a 235mm car myself. My thing is that it seems that 10th pan is the only class in onroad (or really in just about any class of in electric) where it almost feels like you have two almost factions within the same class. I mean touring cars are getting ridiculously expensive and this would be a perfect time for people to see 10th pan (be it 200mm or 235mm) as an alternative to the growing money pit that is the TC class.
Well then we have the same thoughts on the matter it seems :-). What two factions are you talking about?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #251
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Well then we have the same thoughts on the matter it seems :-). What two factions are you talking about?
Really 200 and 235mm runners. I mean its great that you guys in Europe have a growing and sustaining 235mm class. I know here in the states 235mm even up tim I think 2004 was where it was at. 10th pan was run as an exhibition class at the nationals but really until the advent of World GT was only in pockets mostly out west. as someone who had a 235mm car for a while here in VA id LOVE to see the wide cars make a comeback, even if its as a result of the now growing GT class
Old 05-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #252
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Really 200 and 235mm runners. I mean its great that you guys in Europe have a growing and sustaining 235mm class. I know here in the states 235mm even up tim I think 2004 was where it was at. 10th pan was run as an exhibition class at the nationals but really until the advent of World GT was only in pockets mostly out west. as someone who had a 235mm car for a while here in VA id LOVE to see the wide cars make a comeback, even if its as a result of the now growing GT class
Like i said before, we don't have a 235mm class. Our class don't have any rules except towards motors and 2s lipo and 6cels nihms. That is it. Everything else is op to the individual.

I don't know if it has specially something to do with World GT. It has more to do with media attention i think. There were already people driving pro10 2-3 years ago here.

In Germany they never stopt racing pro10 as far as i know. The rc-lemans group went to different tracks to race i believe from 2006-2007 in the netherlands and germany. Just to excibit the pro10 at different tracks. People saw them driving and were amazed ( so was i) but there wasn't any club support for it so even if some wanted to buy one there was no support for them. It was more a chicken and egg thing at first.

The whole hype around world gt had put more attention on pancars in general but not World gt. At least not in europe for all i can see anyway. Everyone was talking about pro10 and how great it would be to have that class back at the clubs. There was nothing about World GT but complaints specially towards the 4 cell nihms layout.

Now there is club support cause some individuals already pushed it last year at there clubs to make a class and drove there pancars to show other people how easy it is in maintenance and costs. Together with the media attention for World GT it worked out i gues.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #253
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Build the shock like it says in the manual. (i presume you have a rc10r5?)Put everything on the chasis race ready, batteries and all. Then adjust your shock so the pod is level with the rest of the chasis. Make sure the pod can tilt backwards (or down like you said) for 1 to 2 mm but not more. You can check this by looking at the shock shaft and measure the movement. If it isn't then you have to adjust the shock. This can mean that the balcup needs to be extended a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiF View Post
That's ok. If you used the small black plastic spacer when building the center shock, the droop of the rear pod is automatically limited to almost 'zero', which is good to start with. Too much droop will end in less on power steering.

The shock ends are to be pushed all the way up on the shock shaft. Just slide the shock shaft to the full opposite end and then push the rod end onto it and secure it with the set screw.
If you do that and you are using the spacer mentioned above, the length of the shock and the droop of the rear pod are ok to start with.

Hope this helps...

Rgds,
Andy
thanks for the replies.

what's in red is how i built my shocks
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #254
Tech Master

Good to hear it is build. Have fun with it!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #255
Tech Elite

That'd make sense...thanks for clearing it up. I guess its in the eye of the beholder sometimes. Id like to see there be a separation between the two but for that to happen there would need to be a solid turnout of 10th pan cars in general which is something you certainly have