R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #211
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesalex View Post
Do you guys have any tips on the shocks, I can never seem to get them correct and the top has popped off a couple of time any ideas, alu. hopups or has anyone used other shocks crc hotbodies vcs 4470 etc
The top cap has to be threaded on very carefully to get it straight on. Not paying attention, you might put it on slightly beveled, which then can cause it to pop off when in operation...Even if I have build and rebuild already a lot of R5 shocks (I'm using them not only on the R5 but also on my L2/R5 hybrid), I still have to pay high attention when threading the cap on and I usually still do not get it right in the first attempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amraam67 View Post
At the risk of sticking my head above the parapet and having it blown off, as someone coming back into the sport after 20 years and seeing how far the various technologies have moved on, I can't see the logic of not using the Lipo option, even if that means ballasting the car. They ballast in F1 and sportscars so why not in RC?

I'm not saying you should give up on the NmH option but surely this technology has a limited lifespan and Lipso's do seem to be the way of the future.
I used to run NiMh until mid of last year. Then I tried LiPo and that was the dead of NiMh, at least for me. All of my 12 electric cars are now running on LiPos, including my pan cars in 10th and 12th scale.

As crazy Europeans, we are still driving 10th 235mm wide pan cars with 2s LiPos and up to 3.5T brushless motors. However, we love the idea of the World GT class if just there wasn't the 4 Cell Sub C issue...
We have now introduced a Swiss GT class here in Switzerland, running the World GT Cars with 13.5T but up to 6 Cell oder 2s LiPos. In fact, although it would be allowed, nobody will run Sub Cs, everybody is running LiPos over here...

Cheers
Andy
Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #212
Tech Initiate

Amraam67, it might be easier than you think to introduce it to your local club, 2 guys already brought them, think one has the associated, so they will be looking for a couple more to start running a heat....
DarrenSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Where are you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amraam67 View Post
Hi guys, new to this this forum. What are peoples impressions of the TA RC10R5?

I intend buying one and trying to introduce some GT racing at my club?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #214
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

when using the smc lipo in this car, where are you puting the extra weight? i seen a plate that would go under the battery but what do you do about the nubs on the smc pack? flip the pack up side down?
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #215
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSimpson View Post
Amraam67, it might be easier than you think to introduce it to your local club, 2 guys already brought them, think one has the associated, so they will be looking for a couple more to start running a heat....
Hi Darren, my word you keep a sharp eye on these forums

Yep, I understand there are at least 2 guys with Pan cars there already, with another Associated on order (that's 3). I used to run 12th scale Pan cars and I'm really keen to get back to this form of racing. In fact I've already bought one (that's 4)

I didn't want to raise the issue on our local forum as I know how sensitive introducing new classes can be

I know at least 2 of the guys are/will be running 7.4v Lipos, I will be joining them soon!
Amraam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #216
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso1967 View Post
Where are you located?
I'm located in Southern England
Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #217
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
when using the smc lipo in this car, where are you puting the extra weight? i seen a plate that would go under the battery but what do you do about the nubs on the smc pack? flip the pack up side down?
There are Lipo saddle packs that I understand will fit the standard chassis, but there is this mod that provides the flexibility to use many different batts with lot's of scope for adding weight if required.

Unfortunately I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts under my belt

Just search for 'FullOption RC10R5' and you 'll find it.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #218
Tech Elite

how much do the 10r5's weigh with a single cell lipo? with roars new rule of 930 grams with 1s lipo, will i need to add weight?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
how much do the 10r5's weigh with a single cell lipo? with roars new rule of 930 grams with 1s lipo, will i need to add weight?
I was able to achieve 930 grams with little to no weight added.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #220
Tech Elite

anyone know the viscosity of ae stealth diff lube or ae silicone grease?

Last edited by LOW ET; 05-21-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #221
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiF View Post
The top cap has to be threaded on very carefully to get it straight on. Not paying attention, you might put it on slightly beveled, which then can cause it to pop off when in operation...Even if I have build and rebuild already a lot of R5 shocks (I'm using them not only on the R5 but also on my L2/R5 hybrid), I still have to pay high attention when threading the cap on and I usually still do not get it right in the first attempt...

I used to run NiMh until mid of last year. Then I tried LiPo and that was the dead of NiMh, at least for me. All of my 12 electric cars are now running on LiPos, including my pan cars in 10th and 12th scale.

As crazy Europeans, we are still driving 10th 235mm wide pan cars with 2s LiPos and up to 3.5T brushless motors. However, we love the idea of the World GT class if just there wasn't the 4 Cell Sub C issue...
We have now introduced a Swiss GT class here in Switzerland, running the World GT Cars with 13.5T but up to 6 Cell oder 2s LiPos. In fact, although it would be allowed, nobody will run Sub Cs, everybody is running LiPos over here...

Cheers
Andy
Nice idea Andi. I know that at the IIC this year they are going to 1S LiPo/13.5 for the WGT class and the Expert WGT class (for sponsored drivers).
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #222
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Nice idea Andi. I know that at the IIC this year they are going to 1S LiPo/13.5 for the WGT class and the Expert WGT class (for sponsored drivers).
Honestly, I do not understand the purpose of reducing voltage to control the speed of the cars. We are only shaking our heads over here in Europe. First the introduction of 4 Cell 4.8V SubC for 10th scale cars, now going even lower to 3.7V with 1s LiPo...From a technical/electrical point of view, this is absolute nonsense! The amperage will rocket and the stress on ESC and motors will increase due to the high amperage and the resulting overgearing of the motors. Furthermore, you need either a receiver battery pack or a voltage booster...
If the speed has to be controlled, going to 2s LiPo with 17.5T or even 21.5T brushless motors would have been the right way! But this is rather off topic...

Here in Switzerland, we are running our 200mm Swiss GT class outdoors on large RC race tracks with 13.5T and 2s LiPos, using the CRC World GT Spec tires. It's not too fast but also not annoyingly slow, it just right and a lot of fun! I have converted my RC10R5 now to take Stick-LiPos (see attached picture). I've done this using the conversion kit from Full Option.

Greets from Switzerland
Andi
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated Factory Team RC10R5-21-05-09_1717_800.jpg  
Old 05-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #223
Tech Master

yeah i agree as well. Dropping the voltage because it is otherwise way too fast or whatever is just bs and a sales pitch so they can sell new cars with 4 cell chassis. a 3.5t or 4.5t with 2s lipo is still good to drive with a pro10. The only thing is that your adjustsments have to be better then with a stock motor.

The stock motor here for pro10 is 10.5t with 2s lipo. We drive on 1/8th gas tracks mostly and it goes quite good. If you want to go slower then put a slower motor in is what i think as well.

if they want to introduce something in europe then they should design a full blown pro10 car.

The new oval car from associated should be easily transformed to a pro10 model with a new chasis and a wider pod. Would be an easy thing for associated to design/distribute and sell it over here. All the parts are already there even a new designed t-bar.

I can't imagine that they don't work on that as it is so simple and in line with the other products they make?
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #224
Tech Fanatic

Exactly right Alexander!!!

World GT just isn't working in Europe. So Associated now has the RC12R5 for 12th scale, the RC10R5 for WorldGT & the RC10R5Oval for Oval offcoarse... The only market that is missing now is the european Pro10 235mm market... So come on guys!!! Do us crazy europeans a big huge favor an build us a 235mm Pro10 RC10R5!!!

And by that I don't mean a wheelhub extension like CRC has done but a FULL-BREAD 235mm Pro10 platform!!! It shouldn't be hard if you take a look at the new Oval chassis...

I can't wait until the day it comes and I really hope that Associated will add this car to their program!!!

Joost.

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #225
Tech Master

yup a full bread pro10 not a crc cracker ( although they are quite good as well haha)
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote