R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

I too have X3 ice chargers and agree it is the best! Just one question though. Is it essential to balance lipos before charging?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
rather than preaching personal beliefs most of us posted our opinion on what we've used that would fall into the category. You have yours and we had ours. Difference of opinion....and I got my ice NIB for $50 so I guess I'm a lucky one. I can honestly say that I haven't seen that charger in the pits at any of the club races I have attended. You might have a diamond in the ruff but as of right now the ice might be the more popular choice. Again...just another opinion.
I've got the Checkpoint 1030, so I'm familiar with the ICE. At least it's slightly more talented brother. For $50, it would be a good choice, but if you're going to pay full price, there's simply better options these days. Sorry for saying you guys should be "ashamed," that was more meant to be funny, not to attack your credibility.

Sad thing is, I think the hardware for both the Ice and Hyperion might be made by the same company. Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Last edited by syndr0me; 06-14-2008 at 05:57 PM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard1 View Post
I too have X3 ice chargers and agree it is the best! Just one question though. Is it essential to balance lipos before charging?
Hi Howard,

If you are balancing lipos before charging I assume that you are discharging to balance yours.

I bought a Checkpoint balancer several months ago...even though I don't have that charger. The CP can balance via either the charge or discharge modes. It would not work with my LRP Pulsar 3 chargers; so, I hooked it up alone as a discharger-type balancer...It worked fine.

A little testing showed me that my Orion 3600 lipo packs minimally get out of balance over the short term; therefore, I use it once a month on them. Even after a month, it typically takes only seconds of operation before it is done.

Bottom line...the CP balancer stays on my bench at home and is used occasionally to satisfy my curiousity.

Cheers!

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Hi Still Bill,thanks for the reply! So am I correct to assume that balancing is not crucial to the lipo packs? Gee this could open another can of worms!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #20

Ice charger & smc lipo
Vixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Q about the ICE.. the specs say 8A max charging rate, but it then says that for Lipo it does 1C at most..

If I had a 4000 LiPo that can charge at 2C, could I just tell the ICE that it's an 8000 battery so it charges "2C"?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz View Post
Q about the ICE.. the specs say 8A max charging rate, but it then says that for Lipo it does 1C at most..

If I had a 4000 LiPo that can charge at 2C, could I just tell the ICE that it's an 8000 battery so it charges "2C"?
Yes, set it as 8000mah, but then set the capacity to 50%. That's how we "trick" the ICE, and works great. Never had an issue.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

HYPERION EOS0606I AC/DC BALANCING CHARGER
Charges all batteries out today and also has a built in power supply so you do not have to lug around a 5lb supply nor do you have to spend an extra $50 to get one. I have this charger and it does it all, also is very easy to use.

Under200
under200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just got back into the hobby.

I like the EOS060i because it has a balancer and it's AC/DC.

I picked up some Orion 3600 carbon edition for 89.00
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #25
Tech Regular

The Hyperion line of chargers are top notch and the EOS606i is great with the built in power supply.

The mega power poseidon is a straight up copy of the EOS606i but cheaper and in my opinion a lot better looking.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Lipoly_Charger

For budget racers the Turnigy acucell-6 is a great charge, although you do need a power supply.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_&_Discharger
Old 07-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #26
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post
The mega power poseidon is a straight up copy of the EOS606i but cheaper and in my opinion a lot better looking.
Probably the same hardware, they appear to be OEM from SJ Propo. That said, I think Hyperion is doing their own software development, including some that runs on a PC and allows you to see a lot more details about your charge. How's Poseidon on firmware updates, and external software options?

Trinity has a charger on the way that looks like the same OEM stuff. Again, though, where's the software support? It seems Hyperion sources the hardware from SJ Propo, but does the software development in-house.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default core

What about the Core rc charger does anyone have some info about it? any good?
Jesse Holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Holman View Post
What about the Core rc charger does anyone have some info about it? any good?
i own the UDC-20. its a good charger. comes with a lot of cables to do all sorts of charging. it doesnt come with the cable for the orion style packs though (the cable required for balancing.)

good charger.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #29
Tech Elite

With me carrying 3 chargers to teh track and also looking at runing a 1/8 brushless buggy i have decided to sell my ICE and Checkoint to get this
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s.../_Balancer_12S
Would save me a lot of space in my pit box and be more flexible as well as seeing new lipo batts coming out that can charge at 2c id rather be prepared for whats coming

If you running a single or 2 classes teh ICE and Checkpoint are great though.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
With me carrying 3 chargers to teh track and also looking at runing a 1/8 brushless buggy i have decided to sell my ICE and Checkoint to get this
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s.../_Balancer_12S
Would save me a lot of space in my pit box and be more flexible as well as seeing new lipo batts coming out that can charge at 2c id rather be prepared for whats coming

If you running a single or 2 classes teh ICE and Checkpoint are great though.
Nice looking charger. It also appears to come from SJ Propo. I wonder how it's different from the DUO. The display certainly is more informative.

http://www.sjproporc.com/charger-supernovadeluxe.htm