R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2003, 10:49 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to ruftnik
Default best motor

i'm a newbie and wanted to have the best or a better motor. based on your experience, what can you recommend? whats the ratio of pinion gear to no. of turns of the motor.
ruftnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NMRCDude

First of all, are you talking about a stock motor, which is a 27 turn? Or are you talking about a modified motor (low turns)
NMRCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
Tech Addict

sorry for the confusion, i'm talking about which brand of stock motors have the best speed and torgue and the the ratio of pinion gears to no. of turns of the motor.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:11 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Smartazz07

There is no ratio of # of turns to gear ratio its just therpm's of the motor that can tell you how fast it goes.
Smartazz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:21 AM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I'm running Team Paradigm motors, and recommend them, very good power, and they are tweaked for racing when you get them. Try the Monster Stock based motor, and run a 7.1 final drive ratio and you'll have some good power and speed.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:48 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Smartazz07
There is no ratio of # of turns to gear ratio its just therpm's of the motor that can tell you how fast it goes.
they said that if you change your motor you should also change your pinion gear so that you will not sacfrice the torque and topspeed. is this true?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:03 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ruftnik
they said that if you change your motor you should also change your pinion gear so that you will not sacfrice the torque and topspeed. is this true?
Gearing rule of thumb: 3/4 down the longest straight at the track, your car should reach top end speed. If so, the car is geared correctly.

If it's a large open track, you might go one teeth higher on the pinion to get higher top-end. On a small tight technical track, you might go one teeth lower, to ensure acceleration.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:06 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ruftnik
sorry for the confusion, i'm talking about which brand of stock motors have the best speed and torgue and the the ratio of pinion gears to no. of turns of the motor.
If you want to be a good driver fast, get a motor, that aint too fast !

Because a fast mator is quite hard to handle, while a sligthly slower one, will allow you to build up your driving skills faster. A good motor for this, is the Peak Panther (or a similar one).

Later on, you can get a faster stock motor.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:25 AM   #9
Tech Addict

thanks bro.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:56 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to rcshark

i have three boys of my own that i am teaching and watching they do well when i tell them to "slow down and they will get there faster" I have also use that for my self. how ever there is always some one faster.
rcshark is offline   Reply With Quote