R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

hmm, ok thanks for the tip,
WAIT...I got it, they could strap on a top deck.....yes yes , wait no still wouldn't work any better
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

I simply think that AE needs more adjustability to their touring car. I have a tc3, and I would certainly welcome a few more updates. \

--I would like to see adjustable toe kind of like the nitro tc3.
--A different method of adjusting roll center much like the pro 4.
--An adjustable chassis layout much like what we see on the xray evo2.
--better cvd driveshafts, (i mean give me a break, the hole for the pin is as close to the end of the cup as possible. Within three runs I see noticeable wear.)
--batteries already closer to the chassis centerline.
--nitro tc3 diffs
--bladder shocks
--more shock mounting locations

Some things can make a good car even better.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I read in a magazine a few months ago about a rumor of an ae 1/8 buggy.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Me+RC=$$$ Send a message via Yahoo to Me+RC=$$$

Yea, the CVD cups are rigged! They make them that way so we have to buy new ones sooner, well, at least thats what I think. I was thinking about a TC3 with a chassis like the X-ray, That would be kinda tough to do and still have the weight evenly distributed, but thats why they pay designers lots-o-money I think instead of making a TC4, they could maybe get by with a conversion of some sort? Any thoughts?
Me+RC=$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:46 PM   #20
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
pivot ball suspension on an electric tc3

Whatever.....You guys crack me up.Most of us here are not that good to benefit from the little tweaks your talking about.Other then the batteries closer,the car is still sitting pretty.Look at practically all the seups for the nats.Stock cars people.I don't even own a tc3 and recognize its greatness.You either spend the money and design what you feel is a perfect car or realize a good thing.These types of threads are a serious waste.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:10 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree, it's a waste. Car is still winning with it's running changes. You can buy a milled chassis with battery moved to center or just do it yourself. Yokomo sells baddercaps that fit the AE shocks. Actually the exact same badder caps that are on the SD are the same ones that fit the AE shocks. Hey, the cars great! It's one reason why AE is soo successful. They do their research and then build the car. And another good thing about AE is that they DO NOT design a new kit every year. They keep the one they got and improve on that one. So
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:17 PM   #22
Tech Regular

I'm just saying IF they did. It's just a thread on ideas of what the car WOULD look like and what they would make different on a TC4. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my TC3, but it's still fun to see what other people think would be improved.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:51 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to stormperson

Yes their are problems with the car, however they are not issues for their factory level drivers.

-the entire car wears out fast- build a new one
-the CVD bones show wear-buy new ones, or steel
-the diff go fast- rebuild em
-the batteries need to be closer to the center-mill the chassis
-the rear toe isnt infinitely adjustable- deal with it, Pavidis, Baker, etc all do
-roll centers.... there is the only real part of the car that i could POSSIBLY see could use some work, or at least a part that isnt easily correct by one's self. you really need someone to mill out the stuff for you, or to play around with different blocks (ie front in the back or stuff like that). would be nice? yes. is it nessessary, or would it justify a new car? no.

and actually can anyone remember the last time that any car besides and AE won a big race? lets go back in time...

2003 paved nats- Pavidis wins+won in stock
2003 Reedy- Baker
2003 carpet nats- Blackstock wins+ won in stock
Snowbirds? wasnt there and dont remmeber, lol. (but won in stock)
Cleveland- Dumas wins + won in stock
And if you are going to get picky with other triple crown races... Octoberfast-Cyrul, Silver City shootout Dumas, and not sure about Cinci

2002 paved nats- Baker
2002 Reedy- Baker
2002- Tosolini i think, and i dont remember further back then there.

however if you look at who was in the A mains as well, instock the past year and then some normally 70-100% of the cars are TC3's.

nuff said
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 05:58 PM   #24

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

I agree, this car is very good still. Why fix it if it isnt broke. I love mine. Very fast on all surfaces i have raced on.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:24 PM   #25
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
It's one reason why AE is soo successful. They do their research and then build the car. And another good thing about AE is that they DO NOT design a new kit every year. They keep the one they got and improve on that one.
I agree, I love the fact that AE chooses to improve their cars by releasing hopups, and not releasing a new chassis. Yokomo was notorious for releasing a new version of their YR4 chassis every year. Tamiya has been guilty of this recently, as they have 414x, 414m, 414 M2. TB-01, TB Evolution, TB Evolution II, TB Evo III and now the Evo III Surikan (although surikan is limited edition).

I understand that a company has to evolve a chassis, but give me a break, I can't afford to keep up with the "Joneses". I mean, I'd love to buy a new car every year, but since i don't make 100K+, I'll stick to my TC3.

Now, back to the topic: some of the improvements I would like to see:

1. Improved steering system e.g., a single belcrank ala XRAY
2. The ability to put 1mm and .5mm spacers under arm mounts (I think you can do this already though)
3. Vertical ball studs for the camber links
4. Move batteries in closer to center
5. Change the way you capture the outside hingepins to be like the B4.
6. Include teflon sealed bearings, rubber sealed aren't as smooth.
7. Use the ball cups from the B4
8. Use less screws to gain access to diffs
9. Please get rid of the allen screws with the small hole that holds the battery brace down. Update to something more secure.
10. Lower the motor mount.

I'm sure i'll think of some more. Anything else that I missed?
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:47 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by RCBuddha
I agree, I love the fact that AE chooses to improve their cars by releasing hopups, and not releasing a new chassis. Yokomo was notorious for releasing a new version of their YR4 chassis every year. Tamiya has been guilty of this recently, as they have 414x, 414m, 414 M2. TB-01, TB Evolution, TB Evolution II, TB Evo III and now the Evo III Surikan (although surikan is limited edition).

I understand that a company has to evolve a chassis, but give me a break, I can't afford to keep up with the "Joneses". I mean, I'd love to buy a new car every year, but since i don't make 100K+, I'll stick to my TC3.

Now, back to the topic: some of the improvements I would like to see:

1. Improved steering system e.g., a single belcrank ala XRAY
2. The ability to put 1mm and .5mm spacers under arm mounts (I think you can do this already though)
3. Vertical ball studs for the camber links
4. Move batteries in closer to center
5. Change the way you capture the outside hingepins to be like the B4.
6. Include teflon sealed bearings, rubber sealed aren't as smooth.
7. Use the ball cups from the B4
8. Use less screws to gain access to diffs
9. Please get rid of the allen screws with the small hole that holds the battery brace down. Update to something more secure.
10. Lower the motor mount.

I'm sure i'll think of some more. Anything else that I missed?
Well, for Tamiya cars, you can just buy hop-ups to make it to the spec of the latest released model. for example, the 414M series cars, besides the difference of the color between M orignal and M2, they have pretty much the same spec. And you can even buy hop-ups to make it a WRC spec, the only thing that you can not get it identical as the WRC car is the lighten bulkheads. But Tamiya released a different version of lightwebigh bulkheads for people who want to make thier car as light as the WRC.

Another Tamiya car that was released with tons of different spec is the TA04R... but you can still buy the hop-ups and make it look like any verson that they have ever released into the market.

As to The TB series cars, EvoI and EvoII have the same drivetrain, a lot of parts on those two cars are interchangable. EvoIII is a brand new design, and the newest EvoIII Surikarn edition is just a hoped-up-unique color car of EvoIII... And you can still buy hop-ups and make a regular EvoIII into the Surikarn spec.

AE released tons of hop-ups over the life of TC3. Same as Tamiya, just that Tamiya make it convineant for people who want hop-uped chassis by releasing different hop-uped car of the same chassis, in a way it saves the consumer money on buying hop-ups seperately since all you know the RC industry is making big money on parts and not that much on chassises.

I just have to back up Tamiya..... cuz i'm a Tamiya nut
TRF-Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:11 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Funny how these threads take on a life of their own!

I wasn't suggesting the TC3 needed changing or that there was something wrong with the TC3. I was thinking more along the lines of branding. Many newer TA models are being branded with the 4 suffix, I was just wondering if the TC3 was going to get a make over, thatís all.

Glad to see people are still passionate about the TC3.
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:11 PM   #28
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

well, forget about tamiya because i have seen so many different kits, but yes you can buy hop-ups for each kit to make it close to the next one,
but with AE, they have the factory team kit, well, the only hop-up you may want for that are the Blue Aluminum Shock Caps , that is it, and there ya go, they have not made TONS of hop-ups, and even if they did, they would all be for only ONE car.
not 8
Old 08-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ARC MotorSports
I wasn't suggesting the TC3 needed changing or that there was something wrong with the TC3.
Nono, dont worry bout it, we are just having some constructive arguing
Old 08-10-2003, 07:29 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Nono, dont worry bout it, we are just having some constructive arguing
I like how you said that, sounds very....professional