R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Hot Bodies Cyclone or Losi JRXS Type R. Which one for 17.5 Brushless? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/226041-hot-bodies-cyclone-losi-jrxs-type-r-one-17-5-brushless.html)

FREAKAH 06-09-2008 09:54 AM

Hot Bodies Cyclone or Losi JRXS Type R. Which one for 17.5 Brushless?

Considering these two cars for use on asphalt w/ rubber tires using 17.5 brushless and I cant decide.

Help me out please!

Yeti35 06-09-2008 10:13 AM

Choose whatever one you have the best parts support for at your LHS. It may be good also to see what others are running in your area so you can work on setups with them. You can see from my sig that I have the Type R's but am not telling you to buy that. :)

YmeBP 06-09-2008 10:23 AM

I have a couple type-r's too but i drive a cyclone at the hpi challenge and they are nice cars!! I can see why people like them, either way i ditto the above, get what your lhs has parts for. It gets expensive carting around your own hobby shop in your parts box.

majicman 06-09-2008 11:19 AM

I have seen both cars run the 17.5 and neither have a "distinct" advantage over the other. Each has their own benifits/drawbacks.

Besides the LHS support if you plan to travel to races is to consider if the places you travel to/race at carry the line of parts your after.

It is unfortunate that the Type-R gets bad press for it's atypical design, especailly considering it has done well at some of the recent "big races" in classes that the larger base of racers run in.

I think that either car will serve you well.

joey 06-09-2008 11:27 AM

you cant go wrong with either car, i have owned both of them..

BlackedOutREVO 06-09-2008 11:54 AM

JRXS R won stock at the REEDY race

Cyclone won invite MOD, IDK what won open mod

I own a cyclone and couldnt be happier, but there both great cars:D

YmeBP 06-09-2008 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by majicman (Post 4522217)
I have seen both cars run the 17.5 and neither have a "distinct" advantage over the other. Each has their own benifits/drawbacks.

Besides the LHS support if you plan to travel to races is to consider if the places you travel to/race at carry the line of parts your after.

It is unfortunate that the Type-R gets bad press for it's atypical design, especailly considering it has done well at some of the recent "big races" in classes that the larger base of racers run in.

I think that either car will serve you well.

I thought it got bad press for being hard to setup. The team magic e4 has a similar down the middle setup, and i think there was a yokomo back in the day that had a similar setup.

I personally like the losi :), although if you didn't have access to rc-tech or another local racer w/ experience w/ the car i can see how one can get overwhelmed. I was actually going to trade it for a corally, until a local racer helped me get it all nice and tuned, (and i got rid of the fragile first run arms)then i took the time to read through the losi type-r thread searching for setup tips, and i found a SWEEET setup sheet site (le petite rc i will repost w/ it when i get home) that i really started getting into this car. I am now near the top of the B main, w/ a motor/speed controller combo that has no brakes hahaha (well at least when i can keep it off the wall ... which is getting more frequently, i used to over drive the car allot more than i do now :smile:).

Oh one benifit of the type-r NO STINKIN BATTERY TAPE :flaming:!!! I HATE:flaming: battery tape heheh. the slightly touched side :sweat:of me always comes out when i have to cut and use tape hahaah.

I think most current touring cars (except the xray) have the same issue though there are TONS of settings and changes that can be made and only xray has included a "cheat sheet" w/ their '08 that says if your car is doing X change setting Y to position Z.

I like the type-r better than the cyclone and i've driven both, they are both great cars, they can both perform at the same level and such but i have become used to the type r, and it has definitely rewarded my commitment to practice more and drive a better line etc, BUT i'm jaded hehehe i own 2 type-r's heheh.

majicman 06-09-2008 12:39 PM

Setup was one of the early knocks on the Type R. I think that it's unconventional design also caused some pause when you consider that outside of the E4 it goes against the grain of current design. Not that it is wrong to do so, only that when you get out of someones comfort zone they tend to resist. We have seen this with stock brushless and LIPO technology as recent examples of this.

My local hobby store sells both and the Cyclone seems to be the popular choice by far because it fits into the "norm" for chassis design. You made a good point about local help. We dont have any factory drivers that race at our local parking lot tracks. That makes finding setups for our local scene tough.

The only real knock that I have is that neither company has a single source option for it's setups that is supported directly by the company. The petitrc.com site is a fantastic resource for both cars, however I would feel more inclined as a consumer to purchase their products if the "team" had a presence on their website. HB's website is not far ahead of LOSI's in terms of this either, I expect LOSI to be of the AE level of support for thier products as it comes to the availbility of their teams setup sheets. I consider this an important part of the decision in purchasing a product.

majicman 06-09-2008 12:53 PM

Another thing to consider is the the Type R out of the box may be better for a 17.5 motor with it's internal ration at 1.83 vs. the Cyclone at 2.43. You can upgade the drive train on the Cyclone to get a lower internal but the Type R is better suited out of the box for the 17.5 gearing wise.

KHoff7 06-09-2008 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by majicman (Post 4522493)
Another thing to consider is the the Type R out of the box may be better for a 17.5 motor with it's internal ration at 1.83 vs. the Cyclone at 2.43. You can upgade the drive train on the Cyclone to get a lower internal but the Type R is better suited out of the box for the 17.5 gearing wise.

He is right. If you dont have crazy huge pinions the cyclone is hard to gear. I run a 55 pinion with an 80 spur for my 17.5 cyclone.