Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stock Class - ESC's With Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default Stock Class - ESC's With Timing?

Is there any Rules in regards to which esc's are allowed in the 13.5 & 17.5 brushless classes at larger events?
(are esc's with timing adjustment allowed?)
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSI123
Is there any Rules in regards to which esc's are allowed in the 13.5 & 17.5 brushless classes at larger events?
(are esc's with timing adjustment allowed?)
that will probably disqualify almost every esc out there
Old 06-09-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

true,

the reason i ask is because where i am locally some esc's like the quark with adjustable timing have been banned for stock class,

but i was thinking well the speed passion esc's have it now, but there 17.5 motors dont.

and the novak motors have adjustable timing on them.

so i just wanted to see what was happening with the rest of the world at large events for stock in regards to esc's

Last edited by LOSI123; 06-09-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

So ill take that as yes, all esc's are allowed???????
Old 06-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was wating for this subject to come up

In the US there aren't any rules yet...not that I know of at least.

I can see someone raising a stink soon enough. I hope they don't, I like the adjustable timing in my ESC. There are definately advantages. I see the software in ESCs becoming the hot tuning item in the very near future.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

This thread could get things stirred up. I imagined this being a topic sooner or later. I prayed it wouldn't come up for a while. I'm very thankful things have moved this far finally, can we just glow in it a little longer please??
Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
This thread could get things stirred up. I imagined this being a topic sooner or later. I prayed it wouldn't come up for a while. I'm very thankful things have moved this far finally, can we just glow in it a little longer please??

Shhhhh
Old 06-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The cats out of the bag. I cant see how a ruling organization would require a specific timing in stock without forcing ESC manufacturers to build and program to another's specifications. You would force everyone to take a step backwards.

Let technology go forward. Stock is still stock. Except now instead of spending so much money and headache on timed brushes and spring combos, you can do it simpler and cheaper with the esc.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

The only way to enforce this would be to go backwards in technology, requiring all Brushless motors and ESC to be NON-Sensored, eliminating the ESC advantage with timing, Thermal, etc...

If you have a local club banning brushless ESC's with adjustable timing, than you must some butt of an old-man running the place, refusing to move forward with the times.

The LRP Sphere ESC adjust the timing through their profiles, they just flat out tell you that you're adjusting the timing.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Personally I think that the whole timing thing is getting a little blown out of proportion. Yes, it does move the powerband around and is usefull for some classes where a tenth is super important. But, for most classes it's not a huge deal and can mostly be made up for with gearing.

If it's open so that everyone can do it, there aren't questions about "factory" racers with "special" speed controls. If it's out in the open and available there's no questions on what people are running.

Brushless motors work a lot different than brushed motors and there is a lot more that can be changed than just the timing.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

I don't think that we will see any rules that mandate fixed timing in brushless motors / speed controllers as they are currently configured.

The adjustment in timeing is akin to the ability to tune brushed motors for different applications/tracks with brush compounds and spring rates. Timeing in the speed controller/motor is the only adjustment that the average user has access to to tune the motor.

It would make sense that we start to see low-budget brushless speed controllers/motors have no timeing adjustment ala GTB/early fieago style cans, and the high end speed controllers/motors have the adjustability ala LRP TC Sphere/ SP GT 1.1/ current run of motors.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think for stock class it should be fixed timing. Then brushed stock motors should allow to have adj timing, this is only fair.

In stock class the rules should be the same as brushed motors this makes it fair for the beginner and the life time stock racer When you allow to adj timing in stock class then it is mod racing, and all the crap we went threw with brushed stock motors will start all over again. And the cycle continues
Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

increasing timing in a brushed motor increases the overall power. Increasing the timing in a brushless motor just moves the power band around. My losi esc has adjustable timing but I found leaving the timing to zero and going up in pinion gives better results compared to increasing the timing and gearing the same.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

what about when guys were cutting the brushes in stock motors to change timing/powerband??dont you do the same with changing spring tensions? If thats the cae stock motors should use the same brush/spring combination all the time and not be allowed to tune their motors,stock is stock right?? I hope ROAR doesnt make a stupid rule like banning those ESC'S
Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
increasing timing in a brushed motor increases the overall power. Increasing the timing in a brushless motor just moves the power band around. My losi esc has adjustable timing but I found leaving the timing to zero and going up in pinion gives better results compared to increasing the timing and gearing the same.
you are correct, less timing less heat=more gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.