Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which on road car to get? >

Which on road car to get?

Which on road car to get?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Which on road car to get?

I'm looking a getting a on-road car this fall and would like know which one is a good car to get. I'm racing nitro this year so i have time to get some driving skills in order. It does not need a radio as i have a futaba 3pm 2.4ghz.

Thanks
Byron
Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

what are all the fast guys at the track running? What does the local hobbyshop carry? Make sure that parts are there in case you need them. What gas car are you running? If the company also makes an electric car maybe some stuff can be carried over.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
what are all the fast guys at the track running? What does the local hobbyshop carry? Make sure that parts are there in case you need them. What gas car are you running? If the company also makes an electric car maybe some stuff can be carried over.

ditto...too many times racers want to run something that the LHS doesn'ty support, get frustrated at having to be their own hobby shop and quit...buy something supported locally.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

I'm running a hpi savage 4.6 truck. My local store carries associated cars and i think a few hpi and traxxas ones too. The guy that runs on on road here stocks parts for diffrent cars like associated, ofna, schmacher sorry if i spelled it wrong.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

It is good to buy a car that is supported by your local hobby store. Of course if you live out in bum-ville like I do and have no local resource, you have to make different choices. I chose Tamiya on-road cars because they have a fantastic online parts catalog/support system, and they make good on-road cars.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

I went in today to check some things out and i'm liking the tc5, all i can say is wow
Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=bre1979;4507998]I'm looking a getting a on-road car this fall and would like know which one is a good car to get. I'm racing nitro this year so i have time to get some driving skills in order. It does not need a radio as i have a futaba 3pm 2.4ghz.

There is so many online shops available to buy from that it doesnt matter but if parts are the issue then look for a good car for good price and get a second one at the same time!! then you have spares of everything and then you can find out what breaks on the car put another online order for these paticular parts and then you can have a second car to run in another class if you wish!!! cars i think are good are probably schumacer, tc5, cyclone worlds edition, 416, xray on high grip tracks are good and top scythe(you will need a close supplier for scythe and research which model first!!) you cant go wrong if you stick to this!! enjoy. p.s anyone at track will help you with setup but you can learn on rc tech anything you dont know anyway!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Don't be affraid to buy a second hand car. Sometimes you can pick up a few race meets old TC5 cheap. I bought a second hand Xray T1 and its very quick. So old cars are just as good as brand new cars, where I race the cars that dominate are old cars as the newer cars seem to struggle.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

associated tc5, a trf from tamiya or an xray 008, depending if you wanrt foam or rubber. all great cars, it can also depend what might be better at your track, then base your decision off that
Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Tech Champion

How much are you willing to spend and how often will it get used?

An older car with a good spares package can be just as if not more useful as a newer model, second hand roller with no parts if you are only going to use if for one series.

Buying second hand is as you know, can be a bit risky. Ive heard a few ebay horror stories of cars not being well built or just abused

As said though, if it still have good/easy spares availability that is going to help no end if the worst happens.

The Tamiya ta05 is a good solid car which is pretty reasonably priced, even when buying new. Can be upgraded with trf shocks, carbon fibre etc etc as and when time allows too

Other variants of the ta05 like the IFS and R editions are a little pricier, but have more go faster goodies or a different suspension layout to them as standard.

hth