R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy My 1/10 Wont stay in a straight line!!

Hey there!! started out as a truck basher and now i got 3 1/10 on roads. I have a TA05, TA05MS & TRF415MSXX. I love everything about them. Light weight smooth and bloody QUICK!! but 1 thing thats doing my head in is getting it to stay in a straight line!!! I'm using 2.4ghz radios, 2s lipos, 2 of them are powered by GTB 3.5 & the other one is LRP 4.5. How can i overcome this problem? Any inputs would be much appreciated...

Micro T (Xcelorin 2s Lipo)
Mini LST2 (Dynamite Tazer 2s Lipo)
Stampede (Novak HV 4.5 4s Lipo)
Revo 3.3 (Tekno Kit, Neu 1515 1.5D/f & MGM 6s Lipo)
andy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

do you mean your servo will not center or when you give it all you got it go every which way but straight ???
eflite300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

andy85,

you will have to describe a little bit, how you setup your car before you race... for us to give you any help...

for starters, make sure that your caster, camber, toe-in/out are all the same on both sides of the car (your car is as perfectly symmetrical as you can make it) and that your servo is centered properly in the car.
Spintec
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

servos are well centered, cambers are the same on all sides(-4degress) and toe is at neutral. When im running it in a straight line, it twitches side to side. ive tried everything i could think of but not staying in a straight line =[

Micro T (Xcelorin 2s Lipo)
Mini LST2 (Dynamite Tazer 2s Lipo)
Stampede (Novak HV 4.5 4s Lipo)
Revo 3.3 (Tekno Kit, Neu 1515 1.5D/f & MGM 6s Lipo)
andy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Check the chassis tweak... loosen the screws the deck and push it down on a perfectly flat surface, and do the screws back up while you're hlding it down
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

you run a mean camber... 4 degrees... yikes...

hmm..., i will try to switch your shocks around. If switching shocks around makes a difference, you will need to rebuild your shocks.
Spintec
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

There should be a dial or a button on your radio make sure that is centred, if not try to centre the car by driving the car in a straight line a few metres and that should fix your problem. The problem you have can be caused by bumping into another car or even crashing hope this helps.
FX Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

-4 degrees is a bit much on the camber. Unless you give the whole setup it is going to be hard to say what you have going on or to even recommend a fix.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
-4 degrees is a bit much on the camber. Unless you give the whole setup it is going to be hard to say what you have going on or to even recommend a fix.
+1 ^^^^

I agree - between your painfully extreme camber settings, a whole lot of motor (bigblock brushless), really light vehicles (LiPO) - you've already got three recipes for disaster. Let alone any of the rest of it regarding your set-up, tires, use of tire traction or the lack there of, actual body you're running, or a whole laundry list of WTFs on the car - and then there are maintenance, or lack there of, things to address - let alone the driver, or driving style, or experience level.... that anything anyone suggests is such a shot in the dark they might as well be saying, "Have you tried turning around three times in a circle before running your car?"

As an example, you've kinda started a thread saying "My girlfriend is bitchy to me. Why?" and then gone on to say, "She's really good looking and blond." - so while people might have a general idea of the problem, without REALLY knowing the rest of the story we haven't a clue.
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If there is too much play in your steering system (usually the ball cups) it will walk to either side even if everything is centered.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolracer View Post
+1 ^^^^

I agree - between your painfully extreme camber settings, a whole lot of motor (bigblock brushless), really light vehicles (LiPO) - you've already got three recipes for disaster. Let alone any of the rest of it regarding your set-up, tires, use of tire traction or the lack there of, actual body you're running, or a whole laundry list of WTFs on the car - and then there are maintenance, or lack there of, things to address - let alone the driver, or driving style, or experience level.... that anything anyone suggests is such a shot in the dark they might as well be saying, "Have you tried turning around three times in a circle before running your car?"

As an example, you've kinda started a thread saying "My girlfriend is bitchy to me. Why?" and then gone on to say, "She's really good looking and blond." - so while people might have a general idea of the problem, without REALLY knowing the rest of the story we haven't a clue.
That does bring up a good question(though the answer normally is a no-brainer), did he remember to add ANY weights to the car to compensate for the lighter weight of the LiPo? If not, the car WILL be VERY unbalanced side-to-side, & while that wouldn't explain the whole problem, it certainly CAN contribute to it. For example, with my car(a TRF 416) I found that with a LiPo(in my case the SMC 5000 28C pack), I had to add about 133 grams of chassis weights to the battery side, both to get my car to a legal weight but moreso to get the battery side's weight equal to the electronics side, so that while running, the car will no be unbalanced side to side(& I learned the hard way how important it is when I made a change to it once & forgot to fully compensate for the weight, so it was heavy on the electronics side & that made it REALLY want to traction roll to one side, & it didn't feel right in general, either). Again, this may not be THE problem, but when trying to put THAT much power through it, EVERY little thing becomes important.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

same with my tao5ms, the hubs werent tight, the thing that comes out of the transmition that directly connects to my axel, it was loose (i dont know my part names yet just looks at my driscription)
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

is it a digital servo? what brand?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Also, once the weight balance is correct, that will be the time to check the droop settings on each corner

My ta05 has a bit of slop in the steering rack too, that might cause some problems if its a familiar thing with tamiyas.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

running zero toe on both ends will make the car wonder as well

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote