R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in a house
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default gun 17.5 brushless???

as this will be the new 27t spec motor i'm curious as to what everyone thinks about the different brands and if there are optional rotors for those brands?? As i'm a bit of a tight a**e with money and dont want to have to buy more than one!!!!!! lol
__________________
Team Wave Speedies
Thunder power lipo's
flying fox rc
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in a house
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default motors

3 motors of interest speed passion lrp and novak
__________________
Team Wave Speedies
Thunder power lipo's
flying fox rc
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

optional rotors exist for most of the brand of brushless motors, but not legal to change out on the 17.5 class. I will have an idea after the weekend. I have run the novak and lrp and will run the Speed Passion and Hacker/losi today. these are all in a 1/12 car on carpet
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
Tech Regular
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in a house
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

optional rotors exist for most of the brand of brushless motors, but not legal to change out on the 17.5 class. I will have an idea after the weekend. I have run the novak and lrp and will run the Speed Passion and Hacker/losi today. these are all in a 1/12 car on carpet

cool sounds good i know the importer of speed passion in aus so i was kinda hoping they were good cause i can get for a good price locally but if the novak or lrp are better for overall gearing and speed, power balance then ill just get one of them seeing that you only really need to buy one every so often
__________________
Team Wave Speedies
Thunder power lipo's
flying fox rc
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
optional rotors exist for most of the brand of brushless motors, but not legal to change out on the 17.5 class. I will have an idea after the weekend. I have run the novak and lrp and will run the Speed Passion and Hacker/losi today. these are all in a 1/12 car on carpet

cool sounds good i know the importer of speed passion in aus so i was kinda hoping they were good cause i can get for a good price locally but if the novak or lrp are better for overall gearing and speed, power balance then ill just get one of them seeing that you only really need to buy one every so often
i did not get a change to run the hacker/losi this past weekend. but here are the other 3. this is all in 1/12.

Novak - I had it geared at an 81mm roll out. that was basically the fastest on our track. this gave me good straight away speed and great out of the corner acceleration. You could to + or - 1 tooth and be able to run the same lap times. motor temp was around 155-160

LRP - I had great this at an 81mm the first run and it faded about the 6min mark. the thing was just as fast as the novak, but I lost alomst .3sec in the last 10 laps. On the second run I dropped the gearing down to a 80mm roll out and it was right on pace as the novak with no fade. I was able to run the same laptime at the begining all the way to lap 42. At the 80mm roll out, it seam to be more consistent then the novak. motor temp was around 150-160

SP - Same as the LRP. At the 81mm roll out the motor faded. at the 80mm roll out is was very consistent from beginning to end. motor temp was in the 140 range.

All in All, the are very similar in performance to each other. I find the novak to be more forgiving in gearing. you can be off 1 tooth either way and be right on pace. with the LRP and SP, 1 tooth off and the motor is either slower or fades. but the LRP and SP seam to be more consistent when you are running the right gearing. None of the motor were setup for top speed. by the 2/3 mark on the front straight, you could hear the motors hit the limit and basically were freewheeling the last 1/3 of the straight. it is just like a rev limiter in your 1:1 car.

I have done all my testing in my 1/12 with a lrp sphere speedo. This combo has been in my car for 3 years and I know the characteristics of the speedo well.

Next will be speedo testing. I have the new SP GT LFP 1.1 speedo I will run next weekend with my novak 17.5
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE

Last edited by theisgroup; 06-03-2008 at 06:54 AM.
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
sportpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,314
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
i di dnot get a change to run the hacker/losi this past weekend. but here are the other 3. this is all in 1/12.

Novak - I had it geared at an 81mm roll out. that was basically the fastest on our track. this gave me good straight away speed and great out of the corner acceleration. You could to + or - 1 tooth and be able to run the same lap times. motor temp was around 155-160

LRP - I had great this at an 81mm the first run and it faded about the 6min mark. the thing was just as fast as the novak, but I lost alomst .3sec in the last 10 laps. On the second run I dropped the gearing down to a 80mm roll out and it was right on pace as the novak with no fade. I was able to run the same laptime at the begining all the way to lap 42. At the 80mm roll out, it seam to be more consistent then the novak. motor temp was around 150-160

SP - Same as the LRP. At the 81mm roll out the motor faded. at the 80mm roll out is was very consistent from beginning to end. motor temp was in the 140 range.

All in All, the are very similar in performance to each other. I find the novak to be more forgiving in gearing. you can be off 1 tooth either way and be right on pace. with the LRP and SP, 1 tooth off and the motor is either slower or fades. but the LRP and SP seam to be more consistent when you are running the right gearing. None of the motor were setup for top speed. by the 2/3 mark on the front straight, you could hear the motors hit the limit and basically were freewheeling the last 1/3 of the straight. it is just like a rev limiter in your 1:1 car.

I have done all my testing in my 1/12 with a lrp sphere speedo. This combo has been in my car for 3 years and I know the characteristics of the speedo well.

Next will be speedo testing. I have the new SP GT LFP 1.1 speedo I will run next weekend with my novak 17.5
That's a great report. Let us how much of a difference the new speedo makes.
__________________
-Tamiya TA05-R - Tamiya M05 - Summit Raceway Ft. Wayne, IN

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
racingboy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,238
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

I have been wondering the same thing as well. thanks for the report.
__________________
Bk Graphics Custom Painted Bodies
Email me at [email protected] for a custom quote!
We also do vynil mask sheets!
racingboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in a house
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

thanks that was the info i was hoping for! so it dont really matter which one i get what ever is easier!!!! lol or cheaper. But if what you say is very similar in touring car to, then stock racing is really going to be good then. well i suppose there will still be slight battery wars but i think if your packs are less than 3 months old it dont matter to much they go good anyway!!
__________________
Team Wave Speedies
Thunder power lipo's
flying fox rc
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Aside from gearing like theisgroup mentioned, I haven't found a noticeable difference betwen the SP or the Novak in a sedan. I havent been able to test any other motors in a sedan.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
thanks that was the info i was hoping for! so it dont really matter which one i get what ever is easier!!!! lol or cheaper. But if what you say is very similar in touring car to, then stock racing is really going to be good then. well i suppose there will still be slight battery wars but i think if your packs are less than 3 months old it dont matter to much they go good anyway!!
i would not say that. In my opinion the novak seam less affected by being a tooth off, but the LRP and SP seam to be more consistent when geared correctly
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in a house
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
i would not say that. In my opinion the novak seam less affected by being a tooth off, but the LRP and SP seam to be more consistent when geared correctly
well if you add 6 cell to the equation and all the extra drive train, my point is they should be quite even and it would come more or less to car setup and driving!!!! i just hate when you have a stock car that is 2 times quicker down the straight!! especially when there setup sucks but there speed keeps them very close!!!! lol
__________________
Team Wave Speedies
Thunder power lipo's
flying fox rc
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
well if you add 6 cell to the equation and all the extra drive train, my point is they should be quite even and it would come more or less to car setup and driving!!!! i just hate when you have a stock car that is 2 times quicker down the straight!! especially when there setup sucks but there speed keeps them very close!!!! lol
again that is not quite true. though they run roughly the same. as you can see. the LRP and the SP seam to be more consistent though and 8 min race. but make sure you have then geared exactly right or you right or you will be way off the pace. the novak, can be + or - 1 tooth and run roughly the same lap times.

so if everything was perfect in a perfect world, then yes they are basically the same speed. in my opinion there is quite a big difference between the 3 motors. if you want to be in the ball park, then the novak will do ya. if you want to be dead on lap for lap then I would go with SP or LRP. but if you hate to work on gearing, I am talking 2 teeth in 64pitch on the spur, then I would stay away from LRP and SP.
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
Tech Addict
 
auzzy_mate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MIA Awesome Mansion
Posts: 703
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Testing

Ben

Last edited by auzzy_mate; 08-20-2009 at 05:20 PM.
auzzy_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
Tech Regular
 
HI_808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 359
Default

I can't speak for the LRP, but I do have a SP Ultra Sportsman and a Novak.

The SP can be fast when it is geared high. The only thing is, in my racing environment, it gets too hot to run that kind of FDR for the length of a race. My Novak has been much more tolerant in terms of gearing and is my choice for my specific situation.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Taffyjnr5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: QLD
Posts: 2,033
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Hi,
I have just picked up a 17.5 Tekin Redline motor and wondering what gearing should I start with. The Novak site says their 17.5 should be geared at 3.5 FDR is that correct or close to the mark............
Taffyjnr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Novak Brushless Tekin mini rage Brushless 1/18 price to sell IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 05-01-2008 05:49 PM
brushless, spektrum receivers, charger, brushless losi 8 tschenck R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 04-08-2008 07:18 AM
WTT: 1/10 scale NIB car kits for Brushless RC18T or other Brushless 1/10 car Bohh R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 04-06-2008 07:26 PM
NOVAK GTB BRUSHLESS RACING ESC 2.4GHZ + 13.5 BRUSHLESS MOTOR meronr R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 01-29-2008 02:18 PM
Brushless B4 Brushless T4 Clodzilla 4 ThunderQuake truggy Ofna Lx Pro buggy pcnutz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 29 12-11-2005 01:12 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:16 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net