Resurgance of electric racing.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resurgance of electric racing.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default Resurgance of electric racing.....

is it happening... yet?

No? Why not?

Yes? Why so?

Please.. need help in this one.... this discussion will help determine changes in next years electric proposals given to class committee's in ROAR....

Dawn
Old 05-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yes, it is happening because of the legalization of LiPo batteries and brushless technology.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes in my area...Reason i'm not sure but all the new electric guys are are running BL and Lipo....
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Dawn:
Around here [Mid-Ohio Valley, paved onroad] we have seen a resurgence in the electric touring, mostly because last year we allowed B/L lipo in our touring classes [with some safety concerns] we had in the past a somewhat large turnout with Nitro touring, and especially Monster trucks also had a rather large following, those turnouts have fallen, we expect to continue to see a larger turnout for these classes [elec touring] as costs continue to decline. I myself run a nitro touring as well as a Monster truck but I have to admit the touring classes have some of the closest racing we have seen, I myself a dinosaur, still run brushed NiMH, but I am still off a lap or 2 from the B/L Lipo guys.

Thankx, Bill

Last edited by speedybill; 05-27-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I defenitely believe so. I know a couple local guys who came back out retirement and fallen in love with racing once more. The 3 major reasons are:

1. Brushless systems- simple to set up and maintain- more wheel time and more tuning options

2. Lipo Batteries- super easy to maintain- 1 or 2 good packs and its all you need for couple yrs of good service.

3. DSM 2.4ghz radio systems- run pretty much whenever you need to.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 403forbidden
Yes, it is happening because of the legalization of LiPo batteries and brushless technology.
Try telling this to the racers in Philadelphia, Detroit, and Nashville......just to name a few.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
Try telling this to the racers in Philadelphia, Detroit, and Nashville......just to name a few.
Please clarify, what do you mean by this?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

In Dayton, OH yes. But it appears at the expensive of Nitro. Overall the racing program is growing but electric seems to be growing most from nitro converts. I think the ease and overall expensive of electric racing has improved dramatically with the BL/Lipo allowances.

Another thing that I think has helped with our electric turnout is the 2 classes. We have the sportsman class which has less rules with a breakout lap time. We equate it to restrictor plate racing. People in the class absolutely love it b/c they feel any week anyone can win. Then we run a super stock class which allows people who enjoy the pure racing to do that. It keeps everyone happy.

Oh and its rubber tires only. Most prefer to run rubber tires in the winter as well on carpet. Helps keep the expense down. Most run the same rubber tires for a month.

I think the thing really keeping people from joining the hobby in mass is still expense. We have people come every week to watch. They really want to join the hobby but cant afford it. Not sure there is much that can be done with that but it seems to be the case for many. BL/Lipo helps overall expense but it only increases the initial expenses.

Last edited by or8ital; 05-28-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by schurcr
Please clarify, what do you mean by this?
All three have lost their tracks due to dwindling turnout. I know of several more that are just barely hanging on by a thread.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
All three have lost their tracks due to dwindling turnout. I know of several more that are just barely hanging on by a thread.
Just curious, did they have attached hobby shops? The editorial in the most recent Extreme RC (or last month) had a good write-up on why they felt attached hobby shops were a must for tracks to survive. Just wondering if their theory applied in those situations.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
Just curious, did they have attached hobby shops? The editorial in the most recent Extreme RC (or last month) had a good write-up on why they felt attached hobby shops were a must for tracks to survive. Just wondering if their theory applied in those situations.
CEFX and Horsham sure did. I'm pretty sure Nashville did...Skeen, Nash, or EA can clarify this.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
is it happening... yet?

No? Why not?

Yes? Why so?

Please.. need help in this one.... this discussion will help determine changes in next years electric proposals given to class committee's in ROAR....

Dawn

Yes, its happening!

In the last six months I have seen sales almost do a 180 in favor of electric based stuff. I used to sell about 4 or 5 nitro kits to every one electric kit. Now, well lets put it this way I have sold less than a dozen nitro vehicles in the last six months, yet Im selling electric kits (on road and off road) in record numbers.

It seems that people are comming in saying they dont what to mess with the work and tunning, they just want to plug and play. Look back to about three years ago and every person walking through the door would have nothing but a nitro powered car and they could not be convinced that there would be so much maintanance involved.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
is it happening... yet?

No? Why not?

Yes? Why so?

Dawn
I think ROAR should hear from it's membership and not from every Tom, Dick and Harry that feels their NON-ROAR-member opinion should influence the rules for the ROAR members. RCtech should be the last place ROAR should be asking for opinions. This forum lets anything and everything go on in here..
Scammers, Spammers, multiple accounts.. Oh my....

ROAR needs a forum of its own...

Thats my opinion and this will be my last post on it....

Dawn, kudos for trying to get people/racers/etc involved but considering the bullshit ROAR took about ICE Road/NASCAR et all... Why put a bullseye on your back....
Old 05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Red face

Everyone HAS been feeling the 'pinch' in the last year or more, with the ever higher petroleum prices the costs of nitro fuel PLUS the costs of shipping is making the nitro classes slimmer as your LHS has to increase their price of nitro,

I have been watching the RC world as many of you have and have also seen a higher than usual rate of track/shop closures in the last 12 months,

WHY no one can explain it simply,

but those who have 'embraced' lipo & B/L have seen increasing participation at our club level we have also allowed expanded rules to allow almost any body to be ran [ex. GTP, ect] that also has helped increase our numbers.

We [RC industry] are in for a fight to keep participation of racers/public
with the costs of fuel so high it invariably keeps the 'Man of the House' from enjoying his hobby.

Speedy
Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
I think ROAR should hear from it's membership and not from every Tom, Dick and Harry that feels their NON-ROAR-member opinion should influence the rules for the ROAR members. RCtech should be the last place ROAR should be asking for opinions. This forum lets anything and everything go on in here..
Scammers, Spammers, multiple accounts.. Oh my....

ROAR needs a forum of its own...

Thats my opinion and this will be my last post on it....

Dawn, kudos for trying to get people/racers/etc involved but considering the bullshit ROAR took about ICE Road/NASCAR et all... Why put a bullseye on your back....
If you block non-members out then how does that grow the hobby or organization??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.