R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #106
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
I should have added the "ROAR members" can post, non-ROAR members can read only. If they want to post let them join ROAR....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Fortunately there are logical, forward thinking people in high places in ROAR. That attitude will kill the hobby quicker then a cat can lick his a$$.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #107
Tech Master

Getting a little feisty in here.

Don't make me post Burt............

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #108
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post

DONT DO IT!!!!! My eyes are still burning from the last time.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #109
Tech Adept

I've been following this thread and have contributed to it also and has been interesting to say the least One has to ask why have race tracks and hobbyshops closed? alot of it is the attitude of cater to me, come to me and the ever popular i want a DISCOUNT!! everybody wants a freebe/handout no one wants to help/ volunteer at the local track. When someone wants a part where do they go? to the local hobbyshops? or the internet? dingding "internet" hmmm.

Now i would like to apoligize for those that buy local and support the local tracks and work to promote the hobby to you i salute your effort
AzRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #110
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default supporting LHS

I wish I could support my LHS, but when they don't stock the parts I need and after requesting if they will, they simply said no. What do you say to that? I'm not bad mouthing the largest one in my area, but they only care about their bottom line.

Secondly, I find that on most other items that they sell, for example lipos, it seems that they tend to gauge the customer. If I was making a better wage, I would care less, but when it is more cost effective to order online after shipping charges and duty, I will continue to shop this way. The days of bricks and mortor and slowly disappearing.

my 2 cents..
Stock Car - Xray T3 EU Rubber, Modified Car - Xray T4 '14; Xray X1; Tamiya M-06, and I run all Tekin ESC's - Youtube Channel "CARCAR videos" or follow this link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7fp4qynjJzlXw13ocDpVAg - Facebook: CARCAR
MaxRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #111
Tech Legend

Default O-No ! Here it comes ....

Kinda seems silly to join and then watch the pro`s win the National`s while us members get lucky if they even have a facility that will host a Roar regional in their area...

Its not about want you get from Roar ......
Its what they get from you it seems ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #112
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post

Fortunately there are logical, forward thinking people in high places in ROAR. That attitude will kill the hobby quicker then a cat can lick his a$$.
I live in Loudoun County, number 2 on the highest income per household in the US... I'll trade my tax bills with ya.... All my tax $$ goes to southern Virginia.....

ROAR is like politics.. People who bitch the most don't bother to register to vote and if they do register they can't be bother to vote but let tem get behind an anon user ID in here and all of a sudden they become keyboard comannados...
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #113
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think some shops make the mistake of having a track and a shop that only caters to RC and racers. I think a more broad range of hobby products should be offered in a hobby shop, for most places the RC racer who shows up on weekends to race is a niche market and trying to support a shop and track by only offering RC products is a tough business model.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #114
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
So national events should be only for Factory drivers? I totally disagree...I do see the point if $$$$ is a factor then stay home and run local races.
But on the other hand its NOT Roar's problem to keep "small" businesses going..That is the owners that need to do the "foot"work to get new ppl involved NOT ROAR!

Ask yourself this, for any track you know that has closed, did the owner do anything to get racers there or just rely on word of mouth an ad in the yellow pages???? Did they contact any of the racers to see what the problem was? Or just stand back and say "where is everyone?" The guys that aren't there can't answer why they are not there if not ask.....

You say EVERYONE should be a ROAR member if you are involved in RC....well to that I say this. I have ZERO tracks with in 2 hours, haven't had a regional nor a Roar State race in almost three years, Tell me WHY I should be a member again??? I join Roar when I am attending a ROAR race. So don't take that as a bash, just what I hear most when I mention ROAR to a new person.

Now I can help with this suggestion, IF ROAR wants to help the LOCAL TRACKS, they could put together a booklet with some suggestions as to how the owner/track could get exposure. Like Local newspaper, localTV news, Fliers at the loacl mall/shopping center. Demo day/race at a local "festival/family day"

But again, I don't feel RAOR should have to do the FOOT work for a business owner.

I look at ROAR as a small NASCAR, they provide rules, TECH and help set-up dates and tracks. They don't Find Drivers for the teams and they don't find ppl to put in the seats...thats someone elses job.

PLEASE no one take my post as a ROAR BASHING or as negativity!

I think ROAR has made great strides in the last few years and I TOTALLY understand what ROAR has doen for this hobby over the past 25 yrs or so...I raced when NORRCA was around. That wasn't any better! LOL

One of my favorite answers to the question of "What does ROAR do for me?" is "Look in your pit and at the track area, if not for ROAR you would have NONE OF THIS"
I can see you're not bashing ROAR because you're making some good points, but please don't put words in my mouth. I never said only pro's should go to national events. You pointed out the cost of going to a big race. If you can't afford to go to the big race, then don't go! I would rather see people go to their local tracks more often than save up for the big race, get burned out and not race for a month. I've seen this happen too many times. More often than not big races hurt local tracks more than they help.

Now it sucks you don't have a track close to you, or you haven't seen a regional race in years. From the point of view of what is joining ROAR going to do for you, you're right, it won't do anything. What I would say to you is if there are enough people in your area, consider forming your own club. Now I won't kid you, it's a lot of work and racers can be a PITA, but it would solve your problem. Get your friends together, start small and work your way up.

ROAR does have something called a "Track Pack" which is a list of the basic stuff you need to start a track. It can be downloaded from the ROAR website by anyone.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRain View Post
I wish I could support my LHS, but when they don't stock the parts I need and after requesting if they will, they simply said no. What do you say to that? I'm not bad mouthing the largest one in my area, but they only care about their bottom line.

Secondly, I find that on most other items that they sell, for example lipos, it seems that they tend to gauge the customer. If I was making a better wage, I would care less, but when it is more cost effective to order online after shipping charges and duty, I will continue to shop this way. The days of bricks and mortor and slowly disappearing.

my 2 cents..
Watching the bottom line is being responsible. It is a business you know. As for stocking parts I think its more important they have the ability to get you the parts you need. The LHS I shop at as multi-million inventory (its a large shop) but it still doesnt have all the parts I need. But they can get them in a day or two. A day or two is great. If its a part that breaks commonly I make sure I buy spares with my kit.

Dont get me wrong. I shop online as well. The store cant get everything. But I will say the customer service at my LHS is spot-on whereas online its spotty. Some of the CS in internet land is nearly non-existant.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #116
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post

Oh go ahead, you know you wanna!

And if you come out to 360 for the bash race I'll bring the Blue Point!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
I look at ROAR as a small NASCAR, they provide rules, TECH and help set-up dates and tracks. They don't Find Drivers for the teams and they don't find ppl to put in the seats...thats someone elses job.
this is where you are wrong. NASCAR is the organization that puts people in the seats. these people are the one that puts drivers in their seats. So the Organization NASCAR is the driving factor for NASCAR's success.

the major difference with NASCAR is that it is for profit and ROAR is non-profit. The driving factors are different. NASCAR is all about the $$$$ and ROAR is all about the racing.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #118
Tech Champion

Well, sort of.

ROAR is like NASCAR in that it provides a set of rules to race under. A better analogy might be the SCCA.

NASCAR is a spectator sport. Everything they do is to entertain the fans. RC car racing is a participation sport. We have no fans to speak of, except those who actually race. ROAR has to appeal to the racers, and to those who may consider racing.

NASCAR is also a privately owned business, where ROAR is a not-for-profit organization
Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Well, sort of.

ROAR is like NASCAR in that it provides a set of rules to race under. A better analogy might be the SCCA.

NASCAR is a spectator sport. Everything they do is to entertain the fans. RC car racing is a participation sport. We have no fans to speak of, except those who actually race. ROAR has to appeal to the racers, and to those who may consider racing.

NASCAR is also a privately owned business, where ROAR is a not-for-profit organization
NASCAR was not a spectator sport before NASCAR. My Point is that ROAR is not like NASCAR. And really the big difference is the profit/non-profit thing. The rules of NASCAR exist to bring in spectators. Those can be argued, but I guarantee you there will never be a rule that the fans in mass will hate and then leave. it is a business after all. the problem with ROAR as you said is that they are there for the racers. that is probably the biggest problem. racers are racers and as such only like rules that suits them.

I think your SCCA analogy works to a point. the problem with SCCA is that they have a million classes so if you have been to an SCCA event. specifically a local one, everyone wins their class. and there is a thousand classes

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
I think your SCCA analogy works to a point. the problem with SCCA is that they have a million classes so if you have been to an SCCA event. specifically a local one, everyone wins their class. and there is a thousand classes

Wrong.