R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

actually the new trans am class has really upped onroad turnouts at our last outdoor race at a local hobby town there were 15 or so entries??? not bad for the first outdoor race of the year considering our turnouts in the winter were hit or miss. offroad is king in nashville nitro during the summer and a good following of electric offroad in the winter.
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

I live in Southeastern PA, and I would say yes, but to an extent. Like others have posted, a lot of the new electric running locally, have traded in their nitro cars for the ease of BL & Lipo.

Our area has seen a decline in on road racing in general over that last couple of years, and losing Horsham didn't help much. I think the class is growing slowy again, and can only get bigger, but nitro off road is the most popular class in my region (based on weekly turnouts).

A little off topic, but the lack of decent rubber tires has also really hurt electric touring in the region.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

2 new parking lot tracks operated by friendly motivated staff, emergence of brushless and lipo and a thriving turn out of newer racers who a lot of them started with the RC18R and then are now stepping up into 1/10 and all of a sudden San Diego went from about 8 racers who drove to the LA area to race to about 60 regular home grown racers all in literally 1 year...and it's still growing.

So yeah, with low keyed, fun but organized and motivated hobby shop parking lot tracks... on-road electric has come back big time here, finally.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
Roar member here, our local indoor track and home of last years paved nationals doesn't have the turn out it once did, hopefully it will make it thru the summer and be there for us in the winter. and thats the problem with our weather out here in seattle, when the sun comes out we all run and do outdoors stuff. even the local track that runs in a parking lot from march to october has had low turn out so far this year, hopefully that will turn around soon. however, nitro off road is booming in the area from what i hear.
Ritchie's post is a bit downbeat on outdoor electric racing near Seattle, but in fact our *worst* turnout this year is better than every turnout from the start of last year until two races before the mid-season two-day race, when turnout always peaks. So on this evidence outdoor onroad electic racing is indeed growing. Gas onroad has been down. Electric mod has revived due to BL/LiPo and Ritchie's efforts at promotion. Electric 13.5 has been strong, and the new Trans-Am class has been good as well. The worrying thing to me is that novice is down.

We have another outdoor onroad track starting up in less than two weeks, and it will have a lot of electic classes, so things are definitely looking up.

As for indoor, we have the usual problem of high rents, especially for locations that can do well with a retail hobby shop.
MarkBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
2 new parking lot tracks operated by friendly motivated staff, emergence of brushless and lipo and a thriving turn out of newer racers who a lot of them started with the RC18R and then are now stepping up into 1/10 and all of a sudden San Diego went from about 8 racers who drove to the LA area to race to about 60 regular home grown racers all in literally 1 year...and it's still growing.

So yeah, with low keyed, fun but organized and motivated hobby shop parking lot tracks... on-road electric has come back big time here, finally.
And to pick up where Mike left off with his mention of the RC18R above. Minis are slowly establishing themselves - even talk of a worlds. Especially with the current economic and gas climate, ROAR should start seriously thinking about inclusion of these.

Basically think of our smaller classes as an electric offshoot. Where you can buy too much horsepower for cheap, you aren't having to spend incredible amounts to get that extra few rpms to feel competitive.

Hey, it would get me to finally join.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Those minis are every bit as expensive as a 1/10 touring car. They just cost less to start...
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Example On-roader Mini: Over priced

$210 Competitive kit or upgrading a RTR with racing necessities.
$150 Brushless
$80 Lipo Battery X 2
$19 Extra Set of tires (all 4 combined)
+++++++++++++++++
$460 (Again over estimated by large margin)

I'm not understanding idea of cost just being as much as 1/10th?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Those minis are every bit as expensive as a 1/10 touring car. They just cost less to start...
Ok I have 4 touring cars I run three for ashplat and one for carpert ,,I have about at least a 1,000 in each of them and I have 3 mini's which I may have a 1,000 dallors in all three if that so you do the math
eflite300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would love to see mini's included. Most of the reason I have 18th scale is because of the cost difference. They are much cheaper to build a crazy fast car vs. a 10th scale. I have never been a nitro fan, honestly I feel like the brushless and lipo combo are the future of R/C.

Another note to add to Oxy's post-

1/10th competitive kit car like an Xray 400$
BL combo 250$
2x lipos 200$
Need I say more?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Right now the industry is in the worst shape that ive ever seen. I can name 3 tracks in the last 2 years that have close in the north east. And thats not including Joshs track. The turnout has been really bad this year at our local track. Something needs to change. Just doesnt seem like the current formula is working right now. Maybe im wrong.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs View Post
Right now the industry is in the worst shape that ive ever seen. I can name 3 tracks in the last 2 years that have close in the north east. And thats not including Joshs track. The turnout has been really bad this year at our local track. Something needs to change. Just doesnt seem like the current formula is working right now. Maybe im wrong.
Honestly.... I think a big problem is the cost. And how do you fix that? Everyone wants to go as fast as they can obviously. Think about it if you where new to the hobby and wanted to get a very competitive car that would not be outdated right away you are looking at 1500$ or so for a great car, radio charger, batteries, BL system, tools.

We have all told someone who doesn't know a lot about the sport how much they cost, and received a "your crazy look"
Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Dawn,

I have a few question for you. All electric related.

How did ROAR decide that 13.5 and 17.5 brushless are the 19t and 27t brushed equivalent? Did ROAR do any "on-track" testing or was it decided at the "ROAR Lab"?

Did ROAR take into consideration all the people that race stock and purchased an 13.5 brushless motor will now need to purchase a new motor just because of your new rules?

I understand that it was the manufactures that claimed 13.5 to be the stock equivalent, not ROAR.

Your response is appreciated.
nyourgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

we have about 15-22 racers on a weekend for on-road. This is probably better then this time last year. but as a whole, in Dallas, we are seeing on-road on a decline. at least last year, there was some nitro on-road. this year, it is pretty much gone. I think the advent of technology that puts everyone closer to a level playing field has helped (Brushless). And also last year the nimh situation was crap. we had cells that would barely last sitting on the self at the lhs. this year with lipo and the advent of some of the most stable cells in the last couple of years has brought some people back into electric on-road. I think there is still a long way to go. manufactures need to realize that $500 for a car is just not going to happen now a days. i know that racers are coming back when there is a class that is inexpensive to run and it is fun to race. the time of the guys with the unlimited checkbook for club racing is pretty much over.

maybe i did not see everything for what it was worth 4-5 years ago. But club racing took about $1000 for a newbie to start up and be competative. We just had a guys start back into rc and I would venture to say that he has probably almost $2000+ into rc equipment, and he has not even put the car on the track yet.

i believe that if you want to see onroad electric racing grow, a cheaper form of racing need to come about. I think the pro10 or world gt or what ever you call it with pan car and sedan is a good start. look at the turn out radio shack had for their little xmod racing series

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyourgrill View Post
Dawn,

I have a few question for you. All electric related.

How did ROAR decide that 13.5 and 17.5 brushless are the 19t and 27t brushed equivalent? Did ROAR do any "on-track" testing or was it decided at the "ROAR Lab"?

Did ROAR take into consideration all the people that race stock and purchased an 13.5 brushless motor will now need to purchase a new motor just because of your new rules?

I understand that it was the manufactures that claimed 13.5 to be the stock equivalent, not ROAR.

Your response is appreciated.
I will be honest. this is hashed out in other threads. I am not sure what the relavence to this topic is other then it is about electic motors. and to be honest you answered your own question. the manufacture was the one that made the claim about 13.5 being stock equivalent. I know roar spent a lot of time making this descision and the basics are that they looked at power the motor put out as an average and then the brush equivalent power output. I believe that they made a good choice. 17.5 is really close to stock 27. are they the same? NO, but they are really really close. there is no way that a 13.5 is stock and that was also hashed out in several threads when they first came out. so pretty much everyone that purchase 13.5 when they came out knew they were not stock equivalent. your an early adopter and you took your risk.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Myself and a partner just recently opened up an indoor electric off-road track in CT. We are doing ok, its tight because its a predominantly nitro-enthused region and the general economy, but we try to make sure our customers buy the right stuff so they can afford to race all year. We also run 6 minute qualifiers and 8 minute mains which everybody really seems to like.
RCHR is offline   Reply With Quote