R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
I
Dawn, kudos for trying to get people/racers/etc involved but considering the bullshit ROAR took about ICE Road/NASCAR et all... Why put a bullseye on your back....
Thank you Nova.. but in this case... I want to hear from the NON ROAR members. My goal is a 100% increase in membership within 2 years.. only way to do it is to market outside the normal ROAR box and invite in the non members to be part of the ever changing system.

And, that bulls-eye has been back there for so long now.. its part of my daily outfit selection. And, I just got in a new order of thick skin.....
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
If you block non-members out then how does that grow the hobby or organization??
I should have added the "ROAR members" can post, non-ROAR members can read only. If they want to post let them join ROAR....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Electric is definately having a resurgence out here. Last weekend's club race had 65 entries! That ties our largest turn out in the last several years. I attribute this to a few things...

We haven't been running BL/Lipo until recently (BL only though). Our race was primarily closed endbell Mabuchi motors to keep the costs down. But I do see how much BL and LiPo have impacted the hobby in other areas, so I attribute much of the recent growth to that.

The next is natural cycles. RC goes through cycles every few years as to what is growing and what is not. What I think is happening there is one type will be popular until it becomes ultra competitive. At that point in order to stay competitive it is percieved that you have to have the best equipment. That starts to turn people off so they look for another class to race in that is fun. With the new smaller class it is easier to be competitive without spending a lot of money. So people see how much fun the new class is without spending much money and start to flock to it. The new class grows and the old class starts to dwindle. However as the new class grows it becomes more and more competitive so now having the best equipment starts to be important again. Then that class loses popularity and the cycle starts all over again. Spec classes are one solution to the cost issue but people enjoy customizing their cars and trying to tweak them out to be the best possible. So while they seem to be the answer to cost they often die out quickly because people get bored with not being able to do much to the car.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #19
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
Thank you Nova.. but in this case... I want to hear from the NON ROAR members. My goal is a 100% increase in membership within 2 years.. only way to do it is to market outside the normal ROAR box and invite in the non members to be part of the ever changing system.

And, that bulls-eye has been back there for so long now.. its part of my daily outfit selection. And, I just got in a new order of thick skin.....
Good luck but I think a ROAR forum would get better results and more membership.

Opps this is my last post on this...
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
I think ROAR should hear from it's membership and not from every Tom, Dick and Harry that feels their NON-ROAR-member opinion should influence the rules for the ROAR members. RCtech should be the last place ROAR should be asking for opinions. This forum lets anything and everything go on in here..
Scammers, Spammers, multiple accounts.. Oh my....
Much of the growth in electric racing is taking place outside of ROAR. ROAR is being wise to look into what is influencing that growth to get ideas to help their own growth.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Good luck but I think a ROAR forum would get better results and more membership.

Opps this is my last post on this...
yes... I know. A ROAR forum would be very beneficial. In this case.. I really want to know from the thousands out there who aren't members their thoughts.. so they will find reasons to become members...
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Electric is building up. Just a matter of time when smelly and noisy nitros get rooted out of the townships.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
The next is natural cycles. RC goes through cycles every few years as to what is growing and what is not. What I think is happening there is one type will be popular until it becomes ultra competitive. At that point in order to stay competitive it is percieved that you have to have the best equipment. That starts to turn people off so they look for another class to race in that is fun. With the new smaller class it is easier to be competitive without spending a lot of money. So people see how much fun the new class is without spending much money and start to flock to it. The new class grows and the old class starts to dwindle. However as the new class grows it becomes more and more competitive so now having the best equipment starts to be important again. Then that class loses popularity and the cycle starts all over again. Spec classes are one solution to the cost issue but people enjoy customizing their cars and trying to tweak them out to be the best possible. So while they seem to be the answer to cost they often die out quickly because people get bored with not being able to do much to the car.
Smartest thing I've read on rctech in a looong time.

It seems to me the on-road forum is always trying to "save R/C." Why is that? Is it the nature of on-road to work in these cycles turning people off and on to different classes? In off-road, we have 2WD, 4WD, and truck. It's been like that for decades. 4WD is off and on (and recently more popular), but the others stay the same. I could be biased, but in off-road it seems like people are more relaxed and have fun, whereas on-road is more competitive and intense. Is that what drives people away also?

To me it's the PEOPLE who are ultra-competitive and love spending/tinkering/having the latest that cause the cycles. Racing is like that. It's a competition after all! We do it to ourselves, but that is human nature and the nature of racing. I hate to use this phrase, but...it is what it is.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

At our out local track it seems like we consistently have more attendance. At www.mikeshobbyshop.com, we have the luxury of having an indoor carpet and off-road track in the same area. We run the off-road races first, then on-road.

This last weekend we had 61 race entries. A year back the average was around 40 race entries. So YES, this tells me that things are looking better.

In my opinion several things have led to the increase in electric racing. One is the the acceptance of LiPo and Brushless technology, which we all have all debated the pro's/con's of. Second, Race Promoters such as Scotty Ernst have been huge to spreading the interest; the IIC races has been a success thus far.

I don't know all the reasons, but whatever they are, I'm happy to see a little increase in racing action.

Last edited by kn7671; 05-27-2008 at 07:56 PM.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #25
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post
CEFX and Horsham sure did. I'm pretty sure Nashville did...Skeen, Nash, or EA can clarify this.
We still have our track in Nashville thanks to Skeen and a landlord willing to work with him. Its just only open now Oct-March and pays a lot smaller rent for the summer months that we dont race.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Roar member here, our local indoor track and home of last years paved nationals doesn't have the turn out it once did, hopefully it will make it thru the summer and be there for us in the winter. and thats the problem with our weather out here in seattle, when the sun comes out we all run and do outdoors stuff. even the local track that runs in a parking lot from march to october has had low turn out so far this year, hopefully that will turn around soon. however, nitro off road is booming in the area from what i hear.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

I believe the key to "track survival" is exactly what was mentioned before in this thread. There definately needs to be an attached hobby shop. Not just R/C Racing stuff either - A full line hobby store with Planes, Boats, Trains, Kites, Puzzles, Models, Gaming.... etc.

Take a look at the HobbyPlex here in Omaha... they have all kinds of inventory and hobby type stuff.

I also believe that WE SHOULD ALL DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO BUY FROM OUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP whenever possible. Don't just buy online because you can.... Always support your local hobby store first.
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #28
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
We still have our track in Nashville thanks to Skeen and a landlord willing to work with him. Its just only open now Oct-March and pays a lot smaller rent for the summer months that we dont race.

EA
Sounds a lot like our favorite little track in Northern Ohio. Good to hear it.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #29
Tech Adept

I think it is growing because we have more hobby shops that before (one with an indoor track) I drive an hour to get to a Hobbytown in Gilbert,Az to race and judging from what i have seen, there is at least 2 to 3 kits going out of the door on race day. I agree that a hobbyshop should be some how connected but... you have to have a savy person running the shop to succeed, i have seen a very good indoor track (in Arizona you would think that it would be manditory in the summer to be inside) go belly up because of location and business practice. AzRon
AzRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For us in Austin TX its has been on the rise because of Lipo and brushless and 1/14th scale.

Were only a lap slower then the fastest nitro mod guys and were running 13.5 and 10.5 together on our 70 x 40 parking lot track.

Now we need some help to get some tires!!!!!!!!!!!! There getting scarce.
Joe Maxey is offline   Reply With Quote