Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should ROAR limit LiPO Capacity in Stock Classes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

with my Trakpower 4900. I am 3 grams under legal weight perfectly balanced. Wouldn't there have to a complete car layout redesign before we could really think about a lighter weight limit. I mean if the car is 100 grams lighter but all the weight is on the motor side the car wont handle evenly.

I'm new to this sport so I may be way off correct me if I am. Going lipo was for sure the way to go for me. I bought a $70 balance charger and a $120 lipo pack. If I had went NIMH I was told to be able to truly compete (when I learn to Drive) I was going to need at least 4 packs at around $60 a piece, A charger/discharger that would cost around $150 and possibly a cheaper second charger $50. One of those light bulb things $25, And a battery doctor $50.

So thats lipo $190 vs nimh $465

If you are new like me and have to buy everything all at once (Roller,Servo,tires,radio,esc,motor,batt&equip,Too ls,Powder supply, and anything else that every racer has) lipo is the way to go cause it is a big bill when you get it all in one day, but if you have been in the sport for a while and have all the stuff I could see holding out on the lipo conversion.

Some people just dont like change and I feel sorry for you
Old 06-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Great I hate Chinease gold farmers. Not only do I have to see their spam in game they have now followed me to rctech.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cliferton
with my Trakpower 4900. I am 3 grams under legal weight perfectly balanced. Wouldn't there have to a complete car layout redesign before we could really think about a lighter weight limit. I mean if the car is 100 grams lighter but all the weight is on the motor side the car wont handle evenly.
That's about right. As it stands, all the components in a car are designed to handle the weight of a six cell NIMH pack. I can stick my 6000mah lipo (about the biggest pack you CAN stuff in the chassis I have) in it and once i lift the car, the motor side drops.

Since brushless motors are now ROAR legal, there will come a time where a new lipo specific chassis will hit the market and with that will follow newer and lighter components. Motors will be lighter, receivers and servos will be lighter, and even the rubber will become softer.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Limiting capacity can cause a problem not even mentioned yet. If you lower mah you also lower overall current handling not to mention the inherent voltage challenges of lipo. You now have made it more possible for someone, on a budget, to ruin a battery. Now they have to go and spend another 120 to 150 dollars on a new one. I have 3 people in my family that are racing, myself, my wife, and my son. And I am on a budget big time.

No thanks I want to see the highest mah I can. I wish for 6000 so I can run them in my TC cars and my buggies and run 2 in my 1/8 buggy. One battery for all my RC needs. Now that is cost effective.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by New TC Racer
Limiting capacity can cause a problem not even mentioned yet. If you lower mah you also lower overall current handling not to mention the inherent voltage challenges of lipo. You now have made it more possible for someone, on a budget, to ruin a battery. Now they have to go and spend another 120 to 150 dollars on a new one. I have 3 people in my family that are racing, myself, my wife, and my son. And I am on a budget big time.

No thanks I want to see the highest mah I can. I wish for 6000 so I can run them in my TC cars and my buggies and run 2 in my 1/8 buggy. One battery for all my RC needs. Now that is cost effective.
Is there a limit for mah capacity set by Roar yet?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

This is insanity. Forget the capacities, resistance and weight. Let the battery market decide. I do not run ROAR events. However I like VTA. VTA limits capacities to 5000 mAH. This was done for all the reasons mentioned. But now, there there are very few batteries that meet this rule. The marketplace only makes available limited packs or "shorty" packs. These 5000 mAH packs are no longer mainstream. Soon they will be the exception and be exceptionally priced.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sooooo wrong IMHO

Having run an OVAL SERIES for several year (Where Power and Speed is KEY) we used a 2s1p low mAh battery for cost effectiveness for several years.

"Sportsman Grade" batteries - no higher than 3400 mAh w/ an average street price UNDER $60.00 a pack

In a 5 minute OVAL Race on a big concrete track, where POWER could be laid down we rarely used over 2/3rd of the battery capacity.

LIPO capacity should have been CAPPED when the R/C industry went to Brushless/Lipo -- IMHO it's out of control in both capacity and PRICE.

THIS is from a guy who ran 1200 mAh NiCads!! (7000+ mAh LIPO is needed??? REALLY???)

ALLDAYVTA - nice job bringing back a Dead Thread!!! LOL
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

This is a 5 year old thread... and yet still, we complain about the same old things.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

How long until the discharge curve for a 6 minute 17.5 race looks like a straight line?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If only we had a black box that was plugged in between the ESC and the motor in stock classes that limited the voltage output to 7V (or something), then effectively the discharge curve would look like a straight line, for everyone, no matter which battery they have, new or old. How good would that be?

Last edited by Radio Active; 05-01-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
If only we had a black box that was plugged in between the ESC and the motor in stock classes that limited the voltage output to 7V (or something), then effectively the discharge curve would look like a straight line, for everyone, no matter which battery they have, new or old. How good would that be?
Not at all....Really people have way to much to think about, & or just think too much in general.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
That would be awful....
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by volracer
This is insanity. Forget the capacities, resistance and weight. Let the battery market decide. I do not run ROAR events. However I like VTA. VTA limits capacities to 5000 mAH. This was done for all the reasons mentioned. But now, there there are very few batteries that meet this rule. The marketplace only makes available limited packs or "shorty" packs. These 5000 mAH packs are no longer mainstream. Soon they will be the exception and be exceptionally priced.
The market does drive things and because of the popularity of VTA, there are plenty of companies marketing 5000 mAh packs. Many of them very reasonably priced. Some of them, like Team EAM, Trinity, and CRC are stamping VTA right on the label. But apart from those, there is Reedy, Gen's Ace, Venom, ProTek, Eco Power, Duratrax, Orion, Dynamite, T-Energy, Zippy, Turnigy, Common Sense R/C, Peak Performance, Racer's Edge, to name the "few." Probably missed some in there as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, there are many sources for 5000mAH LiPos, but each source rarely has more than one full size battery rated 5000mAH. Most of the online sources, half of the batteries are out of stock. Many vendors the batteries are "sport" models. At my LHS store, half the VTA legal batteries are older models that cost more than the 6500 mAH batteries with similar discharge and C ratings. The battery market has spoken they will produce larger capacity batteries and force the racing organizations to adjust.

In Europe, they do put a monitoring device between the esc and battery. Different classes have different power limits. If you have a high voltage or bumped LiPo or low resistance and exceed the power limit for the class; the monitoring device will indicate it.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by volracer
In Europe, they do put a monitoring device between the esc and battery. Different classes have different power limits. If you have a high voltage or bumped LiPo or low resistance and exceed the power limit for the class; the monitoring device will indicate it.
The device you are talking about is never used in Europe. If you read the post about it on RedRC everyone thought it was the dumbest invention ever.

I really do not understand the point of all of this. LiPo's are pretty cheap and last darned near forever if you bother to learn how to take care of them.

No one ever said R/C racing was a cheap hobby. If you can't afford it do something else. Don't wreck it for the rest of us with stupid rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.