R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/223991-help.html)

rcwarrior1 05-27-2008 09:11 AM

Help

I am new at the whole rc racing world. What would be the best for me to use to get started. And also what are good sites to go to get information. If anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated. If anybody knows where I could go to get a list of racing tracks on the east coast it would be appreciated also.

rcnewb2004 05-27-2008 10:19 AM

Hi, Welcome to RcTech!

The best thing for you to get started is to goto your track, introduce yourself, and see what people are running and using there.

You have arrived at the best site for information and help!

But I cannot help you with the tracks. Sorry, I guess I will help you by bumping this thread.

YmeBP 05-27-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4482922)
I am new at the whole rc racing world. What would be the best for me to use to get started. And also what are good sites to go to get information. If anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated. If anybody knows where I could go to get a list of racing tracks on the east coast it would be appreciated also.

There are a good bunch of guys that race a a couple tracks down your way. I've been to 2 of them, Mimi's in MD (www.rctrack.com) and there is a great hobby shop in glenn burnie MD (pm punkboy), there is also a track locator thread here on rctech (http://www.rctech.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37 ) . I race at the mushroom bowl (http://www.themushroombowl.com ) and there is a really nice track in New Castle delaware at www.bluediamondpark.com oh and there is 301 raceway in MD too

As far as sites go this one is the only one i really use, they have just about everything here and the userbase is pretty active. You can find answers to questions you didn't even know you had. :lol:

rcwarrior1 05-27-2008 11:52 AM

DSM radio system

What is a Dsm radio system

timmay70 05-27-2008 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4483296)

It is an abbreviation used in slang to refer to radio systems that operate at 2.4 GHz. All the major radio companies are coming out with radios that operate on those frequencies.

The advantage to these systems is not having to worry about crystals or frequency clips. The other advantage is that as everyone flocks to 2.4, there are fewer people on 27 and 75MHz. So, there are fewer frequency conflicts than ever.

trilerian 05-27-2008 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4483296)

It is a radio system that operates on 2.4Ghz frequency. It operates above most other noise so it reduces glitches from any of your equipment or equipment near you. Generally speaking, it eliminates frequency conflicts. If you are new to the hobby (which you say you are) and have not bought a radio, a dsm system would be a good choice to go with. They can be purchased for about the same price as a decent fm system, but they are more expensive than am systems.

As to what car you should get, we really need more information. We need to know what type of car you plan on driving. Whether or not you want to race it at a track and a budget would be nice as well. As to information, well you are at the right place. There is a lot of info here at rctech. I would almost guarantee that anything you can think to ask can be found by using the search feature. However it is a slow process, you will have to do a lot of reading to answer your question, but more reading generally means more learning.

tc3team 05-27-2008 12:17 PM

Also, if you are new to the hobby, resist the urge to buy "the best" of everything, support a local club if they have a low budget class.

Too many newcomers are put off by the high cost of rc, you don't need to have a good time racing by spending loads of $ if you have the right attitude and outlook of racing :):tire:

rcwarrior1 05-27-2008 12:39 PM

What To use

I was thinking about getting an onroad car I live near Blue Diamond Park. They have an on and offroad course. I am not sure if I want to use nitro or electric which would you suggest I don't want to go over 2 or 3 hundred for everything if I can get good stuff cheaper then that would be nice. Thank you

tc3team 05-27-2008 12:46 PM

personally, I prefer sedan but off road is just as good for the right guy :)

Watch the cars in action and see what takes your heart, im rubbish with jumps but with practice I could get to like it no doubt :)

Electric are easier to look after and clean than nitro (purley imho), but again dont let that put you off it.

trilerian 05-27-2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4483418)
I was thinking about getting an onroad car I live near Blue Diamond Park. They have an on and offroad course. I am not sure if I want to use nitro or electric which would you suggest I don't want to go over 2 or 3 hundred for everything if I can get good stuff cheaper then that would be nice. Thank you

$200-$300 isn't very much when it comes to getting into the hobby. You are either going to have to find some really good used deals, or buy an rtr (ready to run).

Electric vs Nitro. That is a long debate, but a couple of things to know from a newcomer standpoint. Going electric even with an rtr you will need batteries and a charger. Now, there are cheap batteries and chargers you can pick up that will suffice for a time. Nitro comes with the mess of oily fuel and tuning, which can be difficult for someone without any experience.

I will say this, and I don't mean to scare you but you should know it is going to happen. Whatever you get, if you enjoy it and decide to stay with the hobby, you will be soon replacing. I don't know what it is, but this hobby will drain your pocket book fast.

rcwarrior1 05-27-2008 01:11 PM

What to use

I was going to try to get a rtr just for a month or so. I know that I am probably going to want to get better stuff this is just until I really get into it. But the park near me Is only dsm and I am having a hard time finding them anywhere. Do you have any advice

timmay70 05-27-2008 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4483497)
I was going to try to get a rtr just for a month or so. I know that I am probably going to want to get better stuff this is just until I really get into it. But the park near me Is only dsm and I am having a hard time finding them anywhere. Do you have any advice

There are very few cars on the market that come with DSM. I think that Losi's right now are the only ones. This kind of limits you to used with the hopes of getting a good deal on decent used gear.... Good luck.

trilerian 05-27-2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4483497)

I would look for a used spektrum system either here or on one of those horrible auction sites. You can probably pick up a dx2 or dx3 with rx for $100 or less. Unfortunately you are tacking on to the price of an rtr right there, as said above there are not many rtr that come with a dsm system. I would also suggest getting a used tc3 or tc4 touring car. They can be found for pretty cheap. Also a brushed esc (electronic speed control) is pretty cheap now since most people are turning to brushless (I have a gtx for sale, pm me if interested). You will still need a motor and a servo. I suggest starting with stock motors or a checkpoint money 19t (for longevity, you can get a lot of runs before needed your comm turned). But ultimately in the long run, it is cheaper to go brushless.

rcwarrior1 05-27-2008 03:39 PM

controller

Can I use an xr-2 controller on any car or does it have to be a losi

not home 05-27-2008 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4482922)

in my opinion, start it out with a team associated tc5, great car. i think in my opinion, go 17.5 brushless for stock class racing. get your information here at rctech, almost every question is answered here.