R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
yes, and helps with ungluing of foam off the rim. I only run jaco yellow rears glued - but I wouldn't recommend running yellows on asphalt, two runs and done.
We get at least 3 to 4 race weekends out of our yellow rears. We race indoor asphalt. Yellow didn't work outside. Pink for outside.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

wow great stuff thanks!
racingboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We had our first 12th. scale racing on our outdoor asphalt track last weekend. It was a blast of course. These cars are the most fun ever.

I wanted to talk about tire wear. Man, my Grey rears were toast only after some early practice and two rounds of qualifying. At least one factor was that we just re coated the track with asphalt sealer and it makes things a little abrasive, but will say the tires went away real fast.
What compounds do you guys use for hot weather high bite asphault?

Also, I read above about tire coning. My fronts had a definate cone to both tires by the end of the day. Actually to the point that they need to be replaced. I'm assuming a little camber adjustment may slow some of that down.

All in all, I did really well in the first qualifier when my tires were all still pretty even. By the third qualifier I had lost the handle on the car because of the tires.
I bolted a new set of rears on for the main, and my car came alive. Lesson learned about 12th scale tires last weekend.. lol
danthrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #49
Tech Master

wow thats pretty fast! Could you do to harder tires or would they no get enough grip?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #50
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthrc View Post
We had our first 12th. scale racing on our outdoor asphalt track last weekend. It was a blast of course. These cars are the most fun ever.

I wanted to talk about tire wear. Man, my Grey rears were toast only after some early practice and two rounds of qualifying. At least one factor was that we just re coated the track with asphalt sealer and it makes things a little abrasive, but will say the tires went away real fast.
What compounds do you guys use for hot weather high bite asphault?

Also, I read above about tire coning. My fronts had a definate cone to both tires by the end of the day. Actually to the point that they need to be replaced. I'm assuming a little camber adjustment may slow some of that down.

All in all, I did really well in the first qualifier when my tires were all still pretty even. By the third qualifier I had lost the handle on the car because of the tires.
I bolted a new set of rears on for the main, and my car came alive. Lesson learned about 12th scale tires last weekend.. lol
Gray rear tires are synthetic tires and are not good on outdoor asphalt. You will want to go with a 2x pink or magenta. You want tires with a high natural rubber content to get the traction and durability needed for asphalt racing.
If your tires are coning up front you will want to add or remove camber depending on the direction they are coning.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #51
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Gray rear tires are synthetic tires and are not good on outdoor asphalt. You will want to go with a 2x pink or magenta. You want tires with a high natural rubber content to get the traction and durability needed for asphalt racing.
If your tires are coning up front you will want to add or remove camber depending on the direction they are coning.
I remember alot of guys running grays inside but I dont remember many running them outside.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #52
Tech Lord

Grays and yellows should work well indoors due to increased traction levels. Indoor asphalt is much higher traction and the track isnt nearly as dirty. You will usually find yourself trying to free the car up on indoor asphalt just as you would on carpet. Outdoors you are up against much lower traction levels and dust.
J Concepts
Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #53
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Calling 1/12th scale fans! I just wanted to shout at any of you 1/12th scale fans that may be reading this thread and happen to live within reasonable driving distance of RC Hobbies Raceway which is located in Northeast Arkansas.

We have recently seen a huge increase of interest in 1/12th scale asphalt racing. Our next regular race will not be until June 29th (after the Nats), but I am really excited to see this take off. So, if you have a 1/12 scale in the closet collecting dust, get it out and head our way..

www.rchobbiesraceway.com
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #54
Tech Addict

hows this for a 1/12th track?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #55
Tech Regular

Our next race is this Saturday. I am going to try rear Pink this time.

I was reading above and was wondering about indoor vs. outdoor asphault. What is the difference, other than the temp of the surface (which I know can be a factor)

I was seeing posts reflecting "indoor high bite asphalt" Ours is outside and the grip is unreal. You can basically just hammer the throttle down and the car goes. I'm not sure if the grip could get any higher.

I wash down the track before each race day, and then spray it down with a mist of grape soda out of a garden sprayer. The grip is sick after that, even in the Houston heat!

Thanks for the answer on the coning of the front tires. You wouldn't think that the car leans that much but it does. After a day of racing my fronts were drastically coned, and my camber is pretty much level with new tires.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #56
Tech Lord

We run on some pretty high bite asphalt tracks here in florida but nothing like indoor asphalt. If you have ever been to races like snowbirds or IIC, that is the type of traction that an indoor asphalt track is capable of yielding. It is pretty crazy. The cars get very darty and need to be freed up. This is when you would go to a synthetic tire and some setup changes. Outdoors you will get dust and track temp changes that kinda keep the traction leveled off. Traction can be high outdoors but it just isnt the same as indoors.
J Concepts
Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #57
Tech Regular

It sounds like fun. Of course we are only running stock at this point. The difference between good grip in stock and good grip in mod is two completely different things.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #58
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2008 Georgia State Stock 12th pavement champ

medium size track 11.2 fastest lap
3.91" or 99.22mm rollout
came off 130 degrees at 6pm main was running about 160 mid day
running 22 front spring on my CRC Tfource 5 degree block 2degree caster
4mm rear 4.5 front ride heigth
.060 tplate
novak 17.5 with 0 degrees timing on setting 4
Pink rears started at 1.80 purple fronts started at 1.80
3 qualifers and mains was down at 1.750 and 1.730
30 weight center and green springs and medium CRC damper lube
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
2008 Georgia State Stock 12th pavement champ

medium size track 11.2 fastest lap
3.91" or 99.22mm rollout
came off 130 degrees at 6pm main was running about 160 mid day
running 22 front spring on my CRC Tfource 5 degree block 2degree caster
4mm rear 4.5 front ride heigth
.060 tplate
novak 17.5 with 0 degrees timing on setting 4
Pink rears started at 1.80 purple fronts started at 1.80
3 qualifers and mains was down at 1.750 and 1.730
30 weight center and green springs and medium CRC damper lube
Congrats Champ!!!!!
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #60
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks Dale
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote