R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #31
Tech Champion

I would think coning the tire would work best on a suspension that has a camber change. Especially with no rear suspension the car isn't going to roll so it will never get to a point where a coned tire has it's complete face flat on the road. So coning the tire would only serve to decrease traction to that tire...something you could accomplish better just by changing compounds.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #32
Tech Champion

That sounds very logical, maybe I just heard it in conversation and they coned the tyres to decrease traction, I wont read into it anymore now I know

Here are the cheap and cheerful Mardaves. Solid, but cheap cars British too! Move over Associated, us brits can make a kit too y'know

http://www.mardaveracing.com/rckits.htm

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I raced 12th scale in SOCAL with Rick Hohwart of Associated in the days of the rc12i. To this day (26 yrs ago Holy crap!!!) I have never expierienced club and national level racing better than that. 12th scales have unbelievable grip on asphalt and all we raced on nothing but asphalt from The old Briggs Cunningham auto museum in Costa Mesa Ca. to the Ranch pit shop In Pomona and TQ hobbies in Harbor city near San Pedro. Very proud to be a part of all that.
But I am now In Phoenix Az. and we have a rebuilt asphalt track here that is awesome and as this wave continues we have a place to race.
In my opinion I 12th scale is so much fun compared to touring I dont even remember if we knew what rollout was we just asked what are you geared? and went from there. Everthing is so critical in touring car. In 12th I check tweek sauce the tires and have fun With foam tire tech advancing as much in 25 years traction is not a problem. Of course Im making it simplistic but compared to touring it is.
And the price for everything from kits to parts and tires it is really fun to me you can't beat it.
We still got a little time before it gets bigger here in Phoenix but if it keeps going and guys like you get hooked the future for asphalt 12th looks bright! RACE ON MY 12TH SCALE BROTHAS!!
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Man, I'm so happy about the positive vibe throughout this entire thread! Keep it comin' guys!! Sounds like I'm not alone in my new love for 1/12 scale asphalt. I hope the class will grow like wildfire here, maybe where you are too. Wish my R5 would hurry up and get here. I'm chomping at the bit.
Zdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #35
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In New Jersey / New York we have a bunch of 1/12th options available. I'm trying to get at least three other people to come out to NJ / Jackson R/C on Saturday to race 1/12th outdoors on asphalt. There will be 1/12th indoor asphalt on Sunday at NY / 360 RC Speedway
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #36
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I know that when on carpet the foam tire sauce of choice is almost always paragon. Is that the case on asphalt also. Is it even needed on asphalt?
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Well, down here in San Antonio their are some of us that use the black can Paragon n asphalt on our 12th scales.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #38
Tech Champion

i've only run paragon so far on indoor asphalt. outdoors you can also try some really cheap 45+ sunscreen. if you don't like the sunscreen, or the tries are getting to grippy (no such thing with rears outdoors), just clean them off w/ some lighter fluid.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I also run the black can Paragon Ground EFX, mainly because its the only type I have. I used it indoors on RCP track with an X-Ray M18. With those small tires a can will last for years.

So this weekend is our first 12th scale race on outdoor Asphalt. I will be using the black can, and others will be using the white can Paragon. I will let you know if there are any differences.
So far in practice, the black can hooks the car up about as good as you would want it.
danthrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Do any of you guys ever glue the sidewall of you tires to help prevent chunking?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #41
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Have any of you ran 1/12th with 2 cell lipo / 21.5 BL ?
TJames987 likes this.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdiddy View Post
Do any of you guys ever glue the sidewall of you tires to help prevent chunking?
yes, and helps with ungluing of foam off the rim. I only run jaco yellow rears glued - but I wouldn't recommend running yellows on asphalt, two runs and done.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:06 AM   #43
Tech Addict

How will I need to be geared running a 17.5BL on a track that has a 130' straight and a fairly open layout, running full height tires right out of the package?

Thanks,

Zach
Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 AM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I am thinking about buying a 12th scale to run outdoors and I was wondering, what kind of setup adjusments are there on these cars. DO they have adjustments like touring cars, camber, toe etc. and what adjusments do they have that touring dont and what do they do. Sorry for such the big question lol.
racingboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingboy14 View Post
I am thinking about buying a 12th scale to run outdoors and I was wondering, what kind of setup adjusments are there on these cars. DO they have adjustments like touring cars, camber, toe etc. and what adjusments do they have that touring dont and what do they do. Sorry for such the big question lol.
1/12th scale is simpler, but still very adjustable. some of my favorite links on 1/12th links are:

Richard Chang's stuff:
http://richardchang.com/hobby.php?topic=112setup

All of Mark Payne's stuff: http://markpayneblog.blogspot.com/20...nd-review.html

rollout: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=28014

the CRC manuals are great: http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...showpage&pid=7