R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I couldnt resiste! Back to the question, is it easy to get parts for the L4 since the L5 was just realease. And to be honest what will break in a good crash, the only thing at my track I remember people breaking were t bars.
racingboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingboy14 View Post
I couldnt resiste! Back to the question, is it easy to get parts for the L4 since the L5 was just realease. And to be honest what will break in a good crash, the only thing at my track I remember people breaking were t bars.
It will definatly be easy to get parts. Associated still makes the old school front end and they haven't used that on there cars since before I was born. There is enough demand for the Associated front end that it will stay in production. Also T-Bar are the same mostly from car to car so you can get those anywhere.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

So, I see that there is some interest in running 1/12th on asphalt. Also it seems that those who are running them on asphalt, love it. This begs the question, why is the turn out for 1/12th always so low at the asphalt nats?
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am one of the guy Zdiddy is talking about who order a 12th scale . Q I would sign up for the Nats but scared the car will not make it in time for the event . I went to memphis and racedthis weekend and talk to john and he said there alot of 12th scale there but everyone think the ashp. tracks are to rough for 12th scale . I am ready for my to come in and see what we can do with them
eflite300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am a newbie to 12th scale racing. We race on an asphalt/parking lot track here that is cleaned and prepped (sprayed with a juice/water mix) I just started racing 12th scale a few months ago and got started with a used 12L4 that I got for a $100. Picked up a used Novak XBR 13.5 system for it and took apart a 6 cell IB3800 pack I was using for my TC to make a 4 cell pack for it.

The 12L4 was a pretty easy car to setup and drive even for me.

I am now running a BMI DB12R After our race director here found a deal for one on ebay! And now I am totally having a blast racing 12th scale!!!!

Our track isn't the smoothest thing around but the 12th scale cars handle very well on our track.

I got into it just by watching the cars race at our club. It just look like to much fun to not want to join in And I was hooked after the 1st qualifier. I think that is a kewl idea to let someone who is interested in the class to try out someones car first. Some of the better 12th scale drivers here have done that and a few guys have since joined the 12th scale class.
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to viperbill1963
Default 1/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
To be honest, i wouldnt. I would recomend a used L4 or L3. You can find them on ebay for under 100 bucks. If you ever decide you enjoy the class and it takes off at your local track, the BMI or other high end cars can always be an option.
i just got one from ebay for 40 bucks L3
Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how easy is it to convert from electric sedan to 1/12th?

Ive heard coning the tyres is important to get more grip? And there are different Tbar thicknesses to change the cars handling? Are the right tyres just as important as per sedan racing?

It might just be the change in racing ive been looking for

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Usually we setup the suspension to minimize the amount of coning on the tires and do not pre-cone the tires on a truer, that is more of a 1/8th nitro thing and has to do with their suspension geometry. Getting the right tires are important in 1/12th but not quite so critical as it is with rubber tired TCs. With TCs if you don't have the right tire you are pretty much screwed. With 1/12th there are several differnt compounds of tires that can be made to work enough to be competitive on a club level. There are a lot of tuning options from different thickness t-bars to multiple spring rates for springs.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #24
Tech Champion

thanks, that gives me some insight, I just know things are pretty different to setting up a sedan and just need an idea how difficult the cars are to set up compared to them.

The amount of stuff on a sedan these days you need to know to be competitive is mind blowing, if the 1/12th is easier to set up it has me looking.

Don't get me wrong, its fun trying new things to set a car up well, but sometimes I think there is too much to set up and look after on a sedan

Nice to know the cars are a bit forgiving on tyre type too. I wouldnt expect that on a car that has what looks like a more crude suspension geometry than a sedan

Old 05-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Well I wouldn't necessarilly say they are easier to setup then sedan. To me setup changes in 1/12th have a greater impact on handling then they do with Sedan, so you have to be a bit more precise with those changes. I easily spend more time setting up my 1/12th then I did with my F201. But a lot of that is because I enjoy setting up my 1/12th a lot more then I did my F201. I do think that once you get the setup you want it is easier to maintain it in 1/12th because there are less moving parts to get knocked out of alignment.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how easy is it to convert from electric sedan to 1/12th?

Ive heard coning the tyres is important to get more grip? And there are different Tbar thicknesses to change the cars handling? Are the right tyres just as important as per sedan racing?

It might just be the change in racing ive been looking for

As gadet said you want the tires to atart and finish as flat as possible. The biggest change in driving from TC to 1/12 is your now running a car that has close to half the weight and a shorter wheelbase. This makes the car much more responsive to even small setup changes as well as driver imput and radio settings. One such example is the dual rate I run on my 1/12 is usually around 30-40%; depending on how tight or open the track is.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I wanted to chime in because I am new to 12th scale and the guy hit the nail on the head in the very first post in this thread.
We have an asphalt track down here in Houston that we specially built to run 18th scale cars on. A guy came to the track one day with his 12th scale and let me drive it. From that instant, I was hooked. Like he said above. It was probably the most fun RC experience I have had to date.
So we just re built the track to race the new 12th scale class. This Saturday is our first race and between 6 and 10 drivers have purchased cars.
We prep our track with straight grape soda. I first get out early and wash the entire track down with water to get rid of all dust. Once dry, I apply a light mist of grape soda straight out of the bottle sprayed on with a garden sprayer. I run Gray rears and pink fronts. The cars are just pure stuck to the track and no residue from the soda stays on the tires.
We made each lane exactly 8 ft. wide in a 60 X 55 ft wide track box. The track has a nice fast flow with some technical areas. We will only be running stock 4 cell for now, until we get the class built up real nice.
I just love driving these cars. I also like reading about them and seeing other peoples experiences with them.
Asphalt Rocks!
danthrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthrc View Post
I wanted to chime in because I am new to 12th scale and the guy hit the nail on the head in the very first post in this thread.
We have an asphalt track down here in Houston that we specially built to run 18th scale cars on. A guy came to the track one day with his 12th scale and let me drive it. From that instant, I was hooked. Like he said above. It was probably the most fun RC experience I have had to date.
So we just re built the track to race the new 12th scale class. This Saturday is our first race and between 6 and 10 drivers have purchased cars.
We prep our track with straight grape soda. I first get out early and wash the entire track down with water to get rid of all dust. Once dry, I apply a light mist of grape soda straight out of the bottle sprayed on with a garden sprayer. I run Gray rears and pink fronts. The cars are just pure stuck to the track and no residue from the soda stays on the tires.
We made each lane exactly 8 ft. wide in a 60 X 55 ft wide track box. The track has a nice fast flow with some technical areas. We will only be running stock 4 cell for now, until we get the class built up real nice.
I just love driving these cars. I also like reading about them and seeing other peoples experiences with them.
Asphalt Rocks!

Where exactly is this track, we race asphalt 1/12 here in San Antonio. We may want to drive over there one weekend. Thanks in advance

Ronnie
Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Our track is at M&M Hobby Center at Bellaire and Chimney Rock St. We race every other Saturday.
If you could send info about your track, we would make some trips over there as well.
Our website is http://www.thrc18.com

Here a are a few before and after pictures of the previous 18th scale track, and then our upgrade to handle the 12th scale cars.

Both pics are named smilar, so the one with the white pipes is the new track. We were still building at the time of the photo. Its all painted and dressed up now. Will have more pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails
1/12 scale asphalt???-newlayout.jpg   1/12 scale asphalt???-new-layout-mm.jpg  
danthrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
As gadet said you want the tires to atart and finish as flat as possible. The biggest change in driving from TC to 1/12 is your now running a car that has close to half the weight and a shorter wheelbase. This makes the car much more responsive to even small setup changes as well as driver imput and radio settings. One such example is the dual rate I run on my 1/12 is usually around 30-40%; depending on how tight or open the track is.
Thanks for the insight, (and InspGadgt).

In the UK we have two types of 1/12, the associated/corally etc cars which you refer to, and a more basic/crude version made by Mardave which doesnt have rear suspension. I think its the latter which can utilise coned tyres well as it doesnt have suspension to help settle the car down on track