R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-04-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL
Default What stock motor for this track?

Im gonna race here:

http://www.rctechonline.com/race2.htm

on tuesday nights. I was wondering what kind of motor I should use. Sorry if the pics are hard to see. I was thinking a Monster stock or P2K2. Oh im using stock Pro 3 gearing.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

In my opinion, and in my experiance. You can really use any stock motor on any track. I race on a tight indoor carpet track and people use anywere from P2k's to Monster stock motors. Monster stock motors are the motor most people pick. Well, actually, now most people race 19t, like me, but we used to all race stock. Personally the monster stock is the best stock motor out there. But it is more likely to smoke, so if you really don't want to rist smoking a motor, get a p2k. They're very reliable.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Monster stock, gearing at like 7.5-7.1. Havent raced there so couldnt tell you exactly what gearing. Just gear up until your lap times start dropping off.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:22 PM   #4
Suspended

what is that mean James Nguyen
sm64000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:31 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Start at around 7.5 final for that track. Watch your lap times. Try going one pinion higher. Check lap times again. If they are faster gear one higher. Once the lap times get slower stop and go back down one tooth.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:10 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I haven't raced stock there in a long time... but a Monster Stock motor geared at about 8.0 should be fine. The track is very technical and only has a short straight.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:14 PM   #7
Suspended

thanks James
sm64000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Here's how I would get the right gearing for your motor:
1. Get a good starting point for gearing your motor, in your case the monster stock, and I think a good starting point would be 8.0 like someone said earlier.

2. Set a timer for 5 minutes or how ever long your races are.

3. Start practicing like it was an actual race and when the timer goes off pull your car off the track.

4. Touch the motor with your hand (the motor, not a heat sink). If the motor is not really hot at all, than try gearing up a tooth on your pinion. If you can hold your hand on the motor for a few seconds at the least than the motor is geared just about right. But if you cant even hold your hand on the motor for a couple seconds you are over geared and should try gearing down a tooth on your pinion gear. If you have a temperature gun, test the temp of the magnets, if the magnets are over 155 F than gear down. But if they're below 130 F try gearing up one tooth at a time.

This is what I do, and every person I know at my track does it this way. Including a bunch of sponsored racers do it this way. And I have no trouble competing at my track.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:03 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed, that's essentially what I do also, though I don't time myself that specifically(I just pull off when I feel I should, hopefully before it's very close to dumping, I usually have plenty left in my packs)& I also agree on using 8.0:1 as a decent starting point for the Monster, & that's usually very close to how I end up gearing mine at my track......

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:35 PM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

This maybe a stupid question but how do you guys calculate the ratios?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:57 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

For a touring car: Spur/pinion*transmission ratio

Heres an example (this is what my tc3 is geared at):
Spur- 72t
pinion- 23t
tranny ratio- 2.5:1

72/23*2.5 = 7.82 is your final drive ratio.

If you need to figure out your roll out for a 12th scale car, just ask and I'll tell you. Hope this helps !
Old 08-04-2003, 10:40 PM   #12
Tech Master

Ahh, Now I get it. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Make sure you write it down in your note book with set up sheets and set up tips and all that stuff. If you don't have a note book with all your notes and stuff, make one. It will be very helpful to have all your things like figuring out your final drive ratio and all that stuff in one place. And that way you will always know where everything is .
Old 08-05-2003, 12:14 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Definetly a Fast Forward stock motor: http://www.mdiracing.com/fastforward/fastforward3.htm
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote