R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-13-2001, 09:52 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Kevin.... I won't argue the point that foams are faster than rubber on a sedan. And yes I did make it thru last season November - March on 2 sets of tires and that was running stock sedan 6 -8 times a month. Yes it is true that new tires are always faster, that's racing as you said. As far as your statment regarding chunking and compounds and brands this something I didn't know about. I run 12th scale on carpet and use jaco's. That's what my LHS carries and I get a very good break on them. I've been told that TRC's aren't very consistant and don't provide the same traction as Jaco's compound vs. compound, is this true? Where do you race and what tire do the 12th scalers at your track use (brand wise). This will be my fourth season on carpet so I would still consider myself a relative newbie on carpet. Any good info you can share would be much appreciated.

Last edited by schurcr; 09-13-2001 at 09:54 PM.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 10:19 PM   #77
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Well as far as what tires guys run on 1/12th scale it kinda depends on the brand of car they race with. Trinity cars like the TRC tires better, meaning the offset of the rims are made for the car. Most other cars use the Jaco tires b/c they fit better i.e offset front and rear. The TRC tires are harder to come by. As far as TRC's being more inconsistant I dont find that true, they use a durometer(sp?) rating on the packages of tires and Jaco does not so you dont know whats in a package of Jaco's but you do with TRC's. So you just need to keep what numer the last set was or if you want a change but not wanting to go down in compound you can get a softer number. I will say that the TRC tires are a harder tire when compairing the compounds of the 2 companies. One thing to do is to clean your tires after you run. I mean if you are at a bigger race and there is a lot of traction in the carpet then you may want to wash out the tires with Motor spray or Lighter fluid. This will keep the tire from getting too soft, also you should do this when you are done with the tires for the day keeps them fresher longer. I race at 3 or 4 local tracks here in the midwest as well as most of the bigger carpet races.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 11:00 PM   #78
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

kevin is my hero....very smart guy....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:35 PM   #79
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to ta04pro

finaly got the new shell painted last sunday and raced it monday night got some scrapes on it already due to some interferance at the far end of the track , so the shell doesnt look as new as it did but it still a nice one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw m coupe.jpg (22.6 KB, 90 views)
ta04pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 06:57 PM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Kevin .... when you say wash the tires out with lighter fluid or motor spray at the end of the day how wet are you really getting things?
Old 09-14-2001, 08:05 PM   #81
Tech Champion

You would apply a decent amount of the liquid and let it soak in for like 3 to 5 min. and then kinda rub it in the tire using a clean rag......I like the Blue shop towels that you get are car parts shops. Then wipe the tire clean and but away. Make sure if you use the lighter fluid that you throw the towel away dont want any fires!!!!! You want the tires wet, dripping a little but not like you dunked it a bucket of the stuff.
Old 09-18-2001, 04:34 PM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

"i'm sorry doesn't cut it"
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 05:15 PM   #83
Tech Champion

Good one Rab.....I congratulat you Rob ..... Will you be at Lesuire this saturday for pract too? I should be out there both days.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:14 PM   #84
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to motoxr

hey kevin, im from st louis. where are there carpet tracks her in the midwest? anywhere further south than chicgo?
motoxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 05:57 AM   #85
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to ta04pro
Default cleaning motors

hi folks was wandering what you all use to clean your motors and keep them in good working order also how long do you use motor brushes for etc?
ta04pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 05:42 PM   #86
Tech Champion

There is a track in Joliet IL. thats about 1 hour south of chicago. There is a couple tracks in Iowa Im not sure where or if they would be closer to you. The track in Joliet is a big size track 98 x48 and there is a lot of very good drivers there. If you are looking to race TC's and 1/12th scale this track would be worth the drive. Also up in Wisconsin there is S&N trackside that has a few big races over the winter, the biggest one is the Novak US touring Car Champs this race has growen to one of the biggest TC races in the states and I'm sure that this year will be even bigger then last year.
Old 09-22-2001, 11:25 AM   #87
Tech Initiate

Does anybody know of carpet raceing tracks in Northern California? Asphaslt I can find, might like to try carpet this winter.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 09:00 PM   #88
Tech Rookie

MOTOXR: We will have an new indoor carpet track just south of Peoria in about 30 days or so. Located in Tremont, 1 block off of I-155. It would be about a 2 hour drive from St Louis striaght up I-55. If you want me to email you when it's ready zap me an email at [email protected]
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 07:59 PM   #89
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to motoxr

that would be real cool don! i could live with that. will you be racing onroad pan, or tcs or what. man im stoked! ive got an ev10 that im just dying to light a good carpet track with! tell me more.
motoxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:33 AM   #90
Tech Fanatic

Rocket ..... there are 2 permanent paved facilaties in northern California. Ripon Speedway, home the last 4 Reedy Touring Car Champs & the 99 ROAR nationals & Speedworld Raceway, home of the 01' ROAR Nationals. I race at Ripon every Sat night and this is one awsome track. We also do an indoor carpet track during the winter in Stockton which is run by the same people at Ripon. Check us out on the web @ www.riponspeedway.com