R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2001, 08:56 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

I was running HPI med/firms in the front and HPI mediums in the back. I was borrowing the tires, but I believe that's what was in them.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:02 AM   #62
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

Kevin - Anything happening in your end of the world?

Skar - Whassup brother? Ready for some action? Vikes this weekend.....Purple Power reigns once more!
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 06:55 AM   #63

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Cmotif
Default A few quick questions

1. I have never raced on carpet before, just concrete and asphalt, but I hear that carpet offer more traction. Can you give me a number of percentage how much better it is (roughly of course)?
2. If a person has access to a large carpeted room with industrial carpet on the floor, and could get a temporary course set up once a month, would it be worth it? Would there be all sorts of tell tale tire marks that would get the group banned? Or would it all be fine, if traction compounds were banned.
3. I hear that Ozite has to be replaced every year, is that true? Why?
4. Is there less fuzz if the carpet is vacuumed first?
5. Why are foams supposed to be the bomb on carpet? Won't they chunk there too, with more traction?

I am thinking about a store front to use as a youth center, with a track that can be set up and taken down in a few minutes. I would like to be able to have indoor soccer some nights and RC racing others. Would that be possible? (We can't race EVERY NIGHT, sometimes you have to get spare parts)

Cmotif <><
International Racing Team Member #18
IRT Established: 1999

Everything About You -- Sanctus Real

www.dontblamejesus.com
Cmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 09:20 AM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Davey Dave:

We'll see what happens tonight. Hopefully I don't suck like I did on Saturday. It's weird to think the regular season starts Sunday. We'll see how it goes at your place! I'm bringing the PS2, too.

Save me a pit spot next to you too, if you get there before I do!
Old 09-06-2001, 10:32 AM   #65
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

cmotif...i will answer your questions as best i can...

1,that is a hard question to answer..it is just different, more consistent, in some cases it is easyer on the tires....where we race, carpet is prolly 75% more, but we dont have the socals or ripons out here...

2,you would see marks, the tracks definatly grooves, like dirt...we tryed running on ind carpet, it was weird, like running on a ground road...ozite has no nap...

3,ozite if taken care of properly will last about 3-4 years, running- times per week, the dupont ozite is the best...

4, if you vacume ozite you will clean up the debris...dupont has no nap...so no fuzz, now the calandra has fuzz, but not real bd, till it gets old

5, i dont like foam on carpet, they doo chunk, and to be fast, you have to cut them way down....so you get less side wall flex...they are like running a big 12th scale....i personally like rubber tires on ozite...

hope that helps.....
matt
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 10:40 AM   #66
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Dave.....Not too much has been happening down here...I'm just trying to get ready for this indoor season. I will be going up to Scotty's this weekend and check out the new place. Hows the family life treating you these days? Ohhh I have a question for ya what compound do you guys use up there at your track on foams? I will catch ya later
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 10:41 AM   #67
Tech Adept

Default tc3 setup

i have a ft tc3 running a p2k pro. i'm looking for a carpet set-up for a very tight 60' x 40' track with only one 60' straight. i have geared all the way down to a 21/72. that gets me hitting top speed at 2/3 of the way down the straight. surface traction seems about med-high.
JOHNNY RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 11:47 AM   #68
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to ta04pro

tried carpet racing for the first time last monthe at milton keynes the rules there only allow rubber treaded tires , car wasnt setup for carpet as i have never run on it before but came 2nd in the d final so not to bad
car is a tamiya ta04 pro with trinity p2k stock motor tires are t27'sand i was running the kit gold springs with loads of packing to stiffen them up also ride hieght was about 7mm 5mm is the limithad a lot of understeer and no back end grip but was a great day 35 for petrol and 6 for a days racing 3 heats and 3 finals will do it again in october so if any one can give me some ideas on setup then it will be much appreciated
our club runs on monday nights in a small hall and we use pvc material for the track but run on the back of itlots of grip and no fibres
ta04pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 03:47 AM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorex tires 28,32 and 36r will hope to be in by Friday. They were sent out yesterday. 20 and 24r in about 2 weeks or less. We do have about 24 24r in stock now.

Thank you for your patience. Billy

YLLIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 06:44 AM   #70
Administrator

dave....wait till you see scottys place....right kevin.....

kevin...from what i heard it is purple and plaid, but dont hold me to that....
Old 09-11-2001, 01:40 PM   #71
Tech Champion

Ohhh Mr. Losi I ment what kind of traction compound I know about the Purple and Plaids. They use the oderless stuff up there and I want to know what they have found that works well so I can get some for Scotty's new place. And Dave you will like the new place alot its very nice....I think that I might loose my flat lander title with all the time I will be spending up there.....I just dont want to be a Cheese head....hehehe

Catch ya all on the track
Old 09-13-2001, 10:46 AM   #72
Administrator

sorry man...at scottys you can use tq blue, does tq make a foam compound???
Old 09-13-2001, 05:05 PM   #73
Tech Champion

Yeah they do like 3 kinds......thats why I was wondering what they use up there on foamies.
Old 09-13-2001, 07:03 PM   #74
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Carpet racing

Cmotif,
I'll try to answer some of your questions.
1. Generaly on a well prepared ozite carpet track you will have a great deal more traction. As an example, I run a Schui Axis 2 at Ripon, not to stiff of a setup with Take-Off CS-22 tires. If I were to run the exact setup and tires I run on asphault on carpet the car would have way too much steering and would have a slight tendancy to traction roll. Meaning the car would flip over as you turned into a corner. Traction is definetly more consistant from race day to race day but trying to give you a rough percentage would be very dificult.

2. Carpet grooves just like any other racing surface. I'm not sure if it would groove without the use of traction compounds but one thing for sure is if you eliminate traction compounds you wont be able to run any foam tired cars (1/12th, oval, 10th pan or even sedans on foam). But if your talking about indoor soccer and other rereational activities as well I think grooves in your carpet would be the less of your concerns.

3. No it is not true that ozite has to be replaced every year. We've ran 2 seasons on the carpet in Stockton and short of a few tears the carpet is actuallly better now than when it was new.

4. Is there less fuzz if you vacum first? I don't know we've never vacumed the carpet track in Stockton. Our course is a temporary course, so the carpet gets rolled up every couple of weeks or so. When we roll it up we knok of all of the crap that gets left on the carpet.

5. Why are foams suposed to be the bomb on carpet? This is all a mater of opinion. I've run both, foam sedan as a novice, expert stock & mod sedan on rubber and 1/12th scale on foams. Foams deffinetly have more traction and allow the cars to cary way more corner speed (more crashing). But to be fast with sedans on foam you have to keep them trued, they chunk very easily (expecially for rookies & novice drivers) and they wear much faster than rubber on a sedan and cost is about the same. With rubber I used 2 sets of tires all last season on carpet and really could have gotten away with one set but wanted to try Sorex tires on the carpet, we we're using Pitz which are no longer available in the states. Pan cars (1/12th, 1/10th, F1 & oval) still use foam and for the most part use foam on asphault as well. And this will propbly never change. Foams don't chunck because of the additional traction carpet provides but because of boards, corner dots and other track barriers that you hit.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 09:27 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Schurcr....I dont want to start a debate or anything with you but you really dont seem to know carpet too well. Most of what you are saying is correct but take it from guys who race on it 8 months of the year. Im just gonna throw a couple things out there for ya to look over. Carpet has more side bite then asphalt, hence the reason that you say your car with the same setup on it from asphalt to carpet traction rolls on carpet. On asphalt you get alot more forward bite out of your car thats why you run softer set up so the car can make traction in the corrner. And Foams are way faster then rubber tires there is no getting arround that. As far as them chunking that really depends on the tire and the compound. The softer the tire the easier it is to chunk and some brands chunk more then others. For the most part all Jaco tires will chunk very easly I dont know why, its just in their foam. TRC tires very rarely chunk again Im not sure why but its true. I race with TRC tires and hit my fair share of boards and have yet to chunk a pair and a friend of mine that is a way better driver and he used to use JACO tires and was always chunking them all the time. And yes you do have to keep the foams trued but you dont need to run 2 deg of camber to get the car to stick, and with less that 2 deg of camber the tries dont need to be trued that ofte(like once a weekend). And I dont know how often that you race on carpet with rubber tires but I whish I could race one season on 1 set of tires. They last 2 maybe 3 weekends if you are lucky. But thats only if you want to stay competitive, newer tires are faster for the most part just like in all racing. The other stuff you were talking about like the life of carpet and stuff is right on target but, like you said foams is an opinion thing and this is mine.