Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How to earn a sponsorship? >

How to earn a sponsorship?

How to earn a sponsorship?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
If you're just looking for getting your club racing entry fees and discounts on misc. parts, try hitting up the local shops and tracks you race at. You may be able to strike a deal for free racing in exchange for help running the races or doing track maintenance on non-race days. Some shops give a % employee discount so you could pick up a few hours a week at a shop for low pay in exchange for being able to buy your parts cheap. These may be better options for you to explore than to try and land a sponsorship to help pay for club racing.
It does work. This is my first year racing and i help prep/clean/etc. the track before any race. There are many things you can do to race free where i race at.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ask James how he knows this.Norcal Hobbies toilets are sparkling clean. Whore.

If you're just looking for getting your club racing entry fees and discounts on misc. parts, try hitting up the local shops and tracks you race at. You may be able to strike a deal for free racing in exchange for help running the races or doing track maintenance on non-race days. Some shops give a % employee discount so you could pick up a few hours a week at a shop for low pay in exchange for being able to buy your parts cheap. These may be better options for you to explore than to try and land a sponsorship to help pay for club racing.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
Ask James how he knows this.Norcal Hobbies toilets are sparkling clean. Whore.
Yea, i'm a whore, but i've never had a "meeting" in Jan's office, or given Roy a ride home......
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Team MFR for life!

BTW that sh*t is personal!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i can try with the track maintenance stuff but between school and my regular job, its impossible that i could do that 2nd part you mentioned.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Start your own company.. That way you can write off the racing as R&D. Doesn't really matter if the company loses money, you just have to look like you're trying to make money to the IRS.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HB Moose
Start your own company.. That way you can write off the racing as R&D. Doesn't really matter if the company loses money, you just have to look like you're trying to make money to the IRS.
My parents own their own company as a matter of fact...hmmm...

lol
Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i wish i can b sponsored also .......
Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kschu
i wish i can b sponsored also .......
Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Go to your local track/shop ask them what does it take to be sponsored by you?

Then go do what they say.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
i can try with the track maintenance stuff but between school and my regular job, its impossible that i could do that 2nd part you mentioned.
I was working 50-60 hour weeks while going to school full time. It can be done...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default decisions

Decisions, decisions. What's more important, racing toy cars and working extra hours to support toy car racing, or studying. I think the best thing to do is quit school so you can focus on racing, get really good, and then get that full sponsorship.

Depending on how much racing fees are, I am honestly not sure how much you would save volunteering at the track, versus working those same hours elsewhere. If racing fees are $15 a night, and you race 2x week, then you need $30 a week covered. Since you are in a low tax bracket (working part-time), you would have to work about 4 hours (making $10 an hour.)

At 21, do yourself a favor and focus on your studies. When you graduate and get a well paying job, the $30 a week won't be a concern.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Bill, there are a couple flaws in your calculation. If he is going to be racing anyway then he wouldnt spend extra gas to go to a different place to work. He just goes a little early and stays a little late to help with track maintenance, etc. That could be a big savings at today's gas rates. If he is doing something such as race announcing while he races then it is no extra hours.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dude, Help Charlie out and setup the track and tear down. he will notice and help you out on the race fee.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ive been racing for a while now doing both onroad and offroad and am really dedicated to doing my best in this hobby and helping out whoever i can, especially friends and newcomers that want to check it out but lately ive been racing alot more and its really taxing on my bank account. I only work 15-20 hours a week and have expensive university tuition that my parents are helping me with but ive been racing as much as i could since i was about 15 (im 21 now). Ive got plenty of trophies and plaques from what ive won but as i said, with the JBRL and other points-related stuff and even regular club racing, its been hard on my wallet and its only getting harder and harder. Electric offroad has been my main focus with electric onroad being my original main focus, and it still is somewhat. I usually race intermediate stock with onroad and intermediate stock with offroad where offered (i do rookie stock at the JBRL series races because the caliber of racers goes up greatly there and rookie offeres perfect competition for me). I notice even a few rookie guys are sponsored and knowing this it only makes me wonder. What can i do to earn a sponsorship? Even as it stands, i only really want entry fees covered. I pretty much have everything else i need lol. Entry fees stacked with cost of tires and misc. parts kill me, but its so much easier without worrying about entry fees. Do i have to get to know local companies (small or big, probably small) and stuff like that? Im sure a thread like this is brought up semi-often, but i just wanted to know. Hopefully somebody notices, any tips and help are appreciated!

I would ask your self too... are you ready for a sponsor? If you’re looking for a product sponsor could you relate proper feedback on what the product is doing? If someone came up to you and asked a question about a problem they were having with the product you run, could you give them the right advice?

Maybe I am wrong, I don’t have a sponsorship. But if I were running a company and had people running my products, this is what I would expect out of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.