R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #1246
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Yes those. The threads are exactly 4 mm long.
__________________
[email protected]
TeamCRC.com Mikes-HobbyShop.com
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #1247
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Hoh! Could it be? Yes it is. An offset pod Battle Axe 2.0

This has been a collaboration between John Fisher from Colorodo and myself. His company has a basis in Australia. What was wanted was an offset pod that could move more weight left for 1 cell cars which have light minimum weights and not much ballast to move around. Well we achieved full offset. The rear X-brace is the standard Gen X 1/12 pod X brace. The top and bottom plate are custom, to be evaluated in the coming weeks. The mod will require a new left and right side hub. We will be testing the red models from Hyperdrive. The right is a full offset (or wide pan) right hub), the left is a compact 1/2 inch clamp on left hub. The stock axle will work! There is a 1/16 inch axle spacer used on the left side. We tried many other combinations of hubs with some failings in each. Failings included not enough weight moved to insufficient pod strength. This mod gives you a Heavy duty bottom plate. The same reinforcements, I have included on the Gen X 10 front side link pivot holes, are included. A minimized left pod plate is used. The extra front hole for the old long left side plate is omitted for strength. I plan to test it as well with 2S LiPo and 17.5. It is possible this may bring in my XXPink/Purple rears, shown on the car, which were a rocket on my 3-link car and the Superior Spector T-plate rear pivot ball car. Note that this mod will be "3-link Ready". About 2.5 mm positive offset is available at each rear tire without going outside the normal bodies.

Yes that body post is bent with a heat gun. I really need some more holes ouboard on the extended side plates. This bend allowed me to center the body perfectly with some rear steer on and allowed me to reach the shoulders of the body with both body posts.

Here are some corner weights to start out with body off no ballast, 2s LiPo
7.8 LF, 6.3 RF
14.4 LR, 5.4 RR
left down tweak is now reduced to 9 ounces.
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-battle-axe-2-0-offset-pod-009.jpg   CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-battle-axe-2-0-offset-pod-007.jpg  
__________________
[email protected]
TeamCRC.com Mikes-HobbyShop.com

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-12-2009 at 04:38 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 AM   #1248
Tech Elite
 
nitrobeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colonia, NJ
Posts: 2,340
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Is this a direct replacement of the metal spring holder? Do i thread the screw into the part?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ng-Retainers-2
__________________
Rui Goncalves
Team CRC|Awesomatix USA|TQ Wire|
Jackson curbs, ready for lift off!
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #1249
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

yes to both. The Allen screw still threads in to the part and is required to adjust the preload. I have not used it yet. Maybe on my oval car which is overweight .7 ounces.
__________________
[email protected]
TeamCRC.com Mikes-HobbyShop.com
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #1250
Tech Elite
 
nitrobeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colonia, NJ
Posts: 2,340
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
yes to both. The Allen screw still threads in to the part and is required to adjust the preload. I have not used it yet. Maybe on my oval car which is overweight .7 ounces.
Thanks
A few posts back guys were talking about how heavy the car was. I got mine RTR at 936g with 55mm tires. I can post pics if you wanna see how i have it layed out, nothing special.
__________________
Rui Goncalves
Team CRC|Awesomatix USA|TQ Wire|
Jackson curbs, ready for lift off!
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #1251
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Yes post pics. Now on mine I am not complaining as I have a bunch of heavy stuff I can convert to light stuff. Body posts for one. 38 ounces (2sLiPo) or 36oz (1s LiPo) will be easy to reach, but yours is at 33 oz!
__________________
[email protected]
TeamCRC.com Mikes-HobbyShop.com

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-13-2009 at 12:19 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #1252
Tech Elite
 
nitrobeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colonia, NJ
Posts: 2,340
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Yes post pics. Now on mine I am not complaining as I have a bunch of heavy stuff I can convert to light stuff. Body posts for one. 36 ounces will be easy to reach, but yours is at 33 oz!
I'll take some later when i get home. When i was at 950g 2 guys at the track couldnt believe i got it that low...Wait until they see it now Also the body makes a huge difference in weight. I cant remember the exact numbers, but the corvette body is heavy compaired to the sofia body.

Tire question for you. As my day starts the car is fine, but as the day goes on it will start to traction roll. The grip on the track does come up some, but not that much. All ive been doing with the tires is sausing back up and running them. I think that's the problem. As the day goes on they seem to get gummy and stick even more. I've seen guys use lighter fluid, is that what i should be using or can i use something else? By the way, this is on carpet..

thanks
__________________
Rui Goncalves
Team CRC|Awesomatix USA|TQ Wire|
Jackson curbs, ready for lift off!
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #1253
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobeast View Post
I'll take some later when i get home. When i was at 950g 2 guys at the track couldnt believe i got it that low...Wait until they see it now Also the body makes a huge difference in weight. I cant remember the exact numbers, but the corvette body is heavy compaired to the sofia body.

Tire question for you. As my day starts the car is fine, but as the day goes on it will start to traction roll. The grip on the track does come up some, but not that much. All ive been doing with the tires is sausing back up and running them. I think that's the problem. As the day goes on they seem to get gummy and stick even more. I've seen guys use lighter fluid, is that what i should be using or can i use something else? By the way, this is on carpet..

thanks
As the day goes on the tyre gets softer, and can even get too soft causing the car to float.
Some options:
A) Use a couiple of sets of tyres, alternating them during the runs so they don't get over soaked in additive.
B) Wash the tyres between runs to remove the excess additive and then re-apply.
C) Use a harder compound later in the day in case it is the track getting more grip and not your car.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #1254
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
As the day goes on the tyre gets softer, and can even get too soft causing the car to float.
Some options:
A) Use a couiple of sets of tyres, alternating them during the runs so they don't get over soaked in additive.
B) Wash the tyres between runs to remove the excess additive and then re-apply.
C) Use a harder compound later in the day in case it is the track getting more grip and not your car.
D) Use less and less compound on the surface of the front tire. During warmup, try 1/2 to 2/3 of the inner tire surface and test. See if its enough grip. I like the car so it almost has a slight push feel to it. By the mains I'm either putting about 1/8 or no compound on the front tires. I clean mine before I warm up and every round with lighter fuel so the feel stays consistent.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #1255
Tech Elite
 
nitrobeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colonia, NJ
Posts: 2,340
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
As the day goes on the tyre gets softer, and can even get too soft causing the car to float.
Some options:
A) Use a couiple of sets of tyres, alternating them during the runs so they don't get over soaked in additive.
B) Wash the tyres between runs to remove the excess additive and then re-apply.
C) Use a harder compound later in the day in case it is the track getting more grip and not your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
D) Use less and less compound on the surface of the front tire. During warmup, try 1/2 to 2/3 of the inner tire surface and test. See if its enough grip. I like the car so it almost has a slight push feel to it. By the mains I'm either putting about 1/8 or no compound on the front tires. I clean mine before I warm up and every round with lighter fuel so the feel stays consistent.
I think the ticket for me will be to start cleaning them. I do start a 75% and as the day goes on end up at 40-50%.

Here are the pics..Nothing special, just what it needs to work. As i tuned it up and liked the position of the electronics i shortened the wires. It's balanced perfect without adding any extra weight.
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-img_1025.jpg   CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-img_1024.jpg  
__________________
Rui Goncalves
Team CRC|Awesomatix USA|TQ Wire|
Jackson curbs, ready for lift off!
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #1256
Tech Elite
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobeast View Post
I think the ticket for me will be to start cleaning them. I do start a 75% and as the day goes on end up at 40-50%.

Here are the pics..Nothing special, just what it needs to work. As i tuned it up and liked the position of the electronics i shortened the wires. It's balanced perfect without adding any extra weight.
936g without the body?
__________________
RC Plus*McKune Designs*NW Hobbies*Premier RC Raceways*Daves Tracks
joeymdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #1257
Tech Elite
 
nitrobeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colonia, NJ
Posts: 2,340
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
936g without the body?
936 with a sofia body on single cell
__________________
Rui Goncalves
Team CRC|Awesomatix USA|TQ Wire|
Jackson curbs, ready for lift off!
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #1258
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 762
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

John

I got my wings from doug today . They are a perfect fit .
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-pics3-285.jpg  
hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #1259
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Rui-Thanks for the pics. Looks like a pretty straight forward install. A lot of lightness is built into the car.

hippie-Thanks for the pic. Nice! On your next set of body posts you can try that outboard position on the nerfwings. The body will be more stable on the chassis.
__________________
[email protected]
TeamCRC.com Mikes-HobbyShop.com
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #1260
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 762
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

John

did i unserstand your rehttp://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/329/products_id/108816/n/CRC-Molded-Spring-Retainers-2pliy

John did i understand your repliy to nitrobeast correctly about these .
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ng-Retainers-2 . Do they slide over the stock spring holder or does the set screw thread directly into these after removing the stock holders ?. thank's
hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks John Stranahan Oval, Larger Scales and More 0 05-25-2008 11:48 AM
Electric 10th scale sell-off (T4 team, Sphere, Transponder, LiPo, Brushless...) floatch R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 27 03-14-2008 04:37 AM
Battle Brushless Sensorless Mamba Max : Trinity N80 VS CM 36 moumerico Electric Off-Road 3 04-12-2007 03:18 PM
Battle of the EPs (On or Off Road)! marzin Singapore R/C Racers 4 09-22-2005 09:27 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:19 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net