R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #691
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Harry- I don't have the Corvette C6 in front of me to look at. I have no track time on the Sophia yet. So what I get is this. You have traction roll and the rear is loose on occasion. I suspect that the wing on the corvette was farther back. This does two things. It nails the rear down in the corner. No more looseness. And because the wing is behind the rear axle it unloads the front giving less steering for traction roll.

These are things you can do. You can move the wing back by using HPI wing supports and moving the wing. It is some trouble as both the wing and the body have nubs. You may be able to move the stock wing back farther on the nubs. I am sure you could with new wing supports. You can go at least 1/2 inch back from the centered position. This may be all you need.

If you have too much front traction causing a traction roll, Remove steering throw at the radio (reduce dual rate %). Reduce front traction with stiffer front springs, Glue the sidewalls up to make a stiffer tire. or use a harder front if legal.

John
Hey John,

Thank you very much for the reply. I will do what you suggest tomorrow with the wing and front spring.

I did in fact glue the side walls when I switched to my new tires. My old tires were worn almost to the rim and severely chunked.

I also reduced the steering throw from 74% (with the Corvette body) down to 60% for the Sophia. However, I was now going very wide on turns and hitting walls (even cut the screws off on the front bumper!!!). So I slowly started going up and reached 63% where I am able to make the turns, however my car started going on two wheels or flipping over (back to square one). I added some more lube to my side dampeners, but no avail. It was still turning over.

Now, why not bother with the rear side springs? I am assuming this should be a last resort deal?

Thank you for all your help and indulgence good sir.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #692
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Funny you mention the Corvette C6...

I'm running HPI's version of the body and love it. Great steering, great lateral stability and makes the car a lot of fun to drive.

I'd have to post a pic of the car i'm driving because it's not an off the shelf car. I've been creating and modifying parts to convert a Bolink Eliminator 10 into a World GT car. By now it's less Bolink and more Frankenstein, but the car is to the point that i'm ready to take it to an on-road track and not be embarrased by it.

@ John- i replaced the Bolink front end with a stock AE Pro Strut front end... it has made a ton of difference. The push i developed by adding the wing to the body is gone. Do you think the longer king pins would be a good next step for tuning?
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #693
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Pejota-Thanks for the post. I think the long kingpin would be a good addition to any pre R5 associated suspension on a 1/10 scale. The losi TiN coated 1.42 inch long x 1/8 inch pin is ideal. It fits the Teflon coated pivot balls well. Nice to have that Bolink running.
John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #694
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Pejota-Thanks for the post. I think the long kingpin would be a good addition to any pre R5 associated suspension on a 1/10 scale. The losi TiN coated 1.42 inch long x 1/8 inch pin is ideal. It fits the Teflon coated pivot balls well. Nice to have that Bolink running.
John
Doesn't AE have longer kingpins and springs? I remember my 1/10th oval days the kingpins and springs for the 10L were longer than the 12L.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #695
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

AE does have longer kingpins and springs. Most guys like to change to the Wolfe springs and the smooth hard TiN surface of the Losi hinge pin, however. These are available at lefthander-rc.com, even the Losi part if it is in stock. The AE pins are steel, the 1/10 AE springs are still on the dinky side. If I remember correctly, the AE TiN coated hinge pin is a bit oversize and won't go through the teflon coated aluminum pivot balls that I like. RC4less.com has some very nice .080 thick narrow form plastic spacers to help space things out. Touring car guys still get a good laugh in when they see the dinky springs that we use, that is, until we leave them in the dust.

Harry-The reason not to change the rear side springs is that they are very likely to be OK. If you think the rear is too tight (understeers)causing traction roll, I would change them. You said that you would loose the rear end on occasion. The car is loose. But it was OK with the other body. This leads me to aero cures.

john

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-15-2009 at 11:15 AM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #696
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Hey John,
I did in fact glue the side walls when I switched to my new tires. My old tires were worn almost to the rim and severely chunked.
@HarryN

Did you switch to new tires together with chaning the body from Corvette to Sophia? And, did you then true them down to the size which the old tires had or did you put them on in size they come out of the box? Small tires which are almost worn down to the rim will be very resistant to traction roll, while a big tire diameter will promote traction roll. Itīs worth a try.

Daniel
xprainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #697
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xprainman View Post
@HarryN

Did you switch to new tires together with chaning the body from Corvette to Sophia? And, did you then true them down to the size which the old tires had or did you put them on in size they come out of the box? Small tires which are almost worn down to the rim will be very resistant to traction roll, while a big tire diameter will promote traction roll. Itīs worth a try.

Daniel
Yes I did. Tires were trued the same size (2.2 rear 2.1 front) as the previous pair. However, once I went back to the Corvette, it was perfect! However, since my setup changed with the Sophia, I have to revert back. But even then, realistic body scores another point above the doorstop bodies.

Thanks everyone. The Sophia GT body is not for me.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #698

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Consider that beacause the Sophia has more steering than the corvette it will inherently make your car traction roll faster. There are numbers of way of getting rid of traction rolling, other than taking away steering.
Like glueing the front tires sidewallls, rounding off the rear tires and lowering the cars ride height.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #699
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland View Post
Consider that beacause the Sophia has more steering than the corvette it will inherently make your car traction roll faster. There are numbers of way of getting rid of traction rolling, other than taking away steering.
Like glueing the front tires sidewallls, rounding off the rear tires and lowering the cars ride height.
Yep, read back to my first post about the issues with the Sophia GT body. Been there, done that. Ride height is at the legal limit.

I do have the green springs (x-firm) at the rear and it looks like the tail is spinning out when I jolt the throttle hard. I may have to go back to the white springs, and even try going with stiffer springs in the front perhaps from red to green?

All I can say is, I can now control my car and have plenty of steering without flipping over or loosing control.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #700
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

First I want to say I had a great time this weekend at Crystal Park Raceway. I think I got my car handling at it's best since my year into this hobby and persistence and perseverance is now paying off and of course the help of John Stranahan, proten Holland and these threads that have helped me tremendously.

Second: Just recieved a personal message from Charlie the director of So. Cal RC Racing and was advised that he will be running electric races on the third Saturday of the month starting this Saturday March 21st at Crystal Park Raceway. With that said now is the opportunity for 2 or three more guys that are interested in pro10 to come on down and get this going. I am still waiting for details from Charlie and can also visit his site at http://socal.rcracing.com/

Here are some new pics of the track and a couple of my car:

One of the nitro guys I see at the track running an electric touring car

Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #701

It's good to hear you're having fun!

Keep up the good work promoting our race class!

Nice track by the way!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #702
Jin
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey esspresso is that sun block lotion drying on your tires?
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #703
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yes. I used Jack the gripper and put sun tan lotion as the track was dusty and could not get any traction for a good part of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin View Post
hey esspresso is that sun block lotion drying on your tires?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #704
Jin
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso1967 View Post
Yes. I used Jack the gripper and put sun tan lotion as the track was dusty and could not get any traction for a good part of the day.
yeah i have a hard time getting traction outdoor still. wondering if anyone tryed combining sunblock with the traction compound into a mix then try using that. i will try this this comming weekend.
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #705

I have seen it used by one of my racing buddies.
It seemed to work for him.

It is often difficult to find traction on a day when there are few cars on the track.
It is usually only after a run or 4 that I find the best traction.