R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #616
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Bill-Thanks. Here is a photo of an Alpha Romeo 8C competizione and the Protoform Sophia at the right. This is the closest match I could find. I found very few of the Alfa cars in race colors. I looked at 30 pages of thumbnails. This may be an amalgamated car from several models like the latest touring car bodies from Protoform. If some of you guys know a little more history on this Protoform body it would be nice.
It seemed like a certain fellow (now deceased) high in the Alfa company had a personal car (maybe an Alpha spider) named after his wife Sophia.

Well you see, the only trouble I had with this body was the name. Would not mind so much an Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione. I actually get to do some machine work and hand fitting of suspension components on antique full sized Alfas for a fellow who works on them here in town.

I would like to see the Alfa car or one similar in race colors say at Lemans or Petit Lemans tracks.
John
John,

The cars are one and the same, although the RC body is just a tad stylized. Why Dale called it a Sophia, we may never know. But, it is supposed to resemble the Alfa 8C. With only 500 being made and only a few already produced I'm not surprised there aren't any in race trim. I've only been able to find pictures one Competizione Red and one Black. Car show pics at that.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #617
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Betcha that they couldn't pronounce "Competizione" correctly; so, "Sophia" won out...

Can just call it Sophie!

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #618
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Ok this pic settles it. Red with lots of white lettering. Black airdam.

I added some red text to correct my previous post on the probable origin of "Sophia"
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-alfa-romeo-track.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-18-2009 at 05:09 AM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #619
Tech Champion

Quote:
Ok this pic settles it. Red with lots of white lettering. Black airdam.

I added some red text to correct my previous post on the probably origin of "Sophia"
Red, white and black...That's how I remember them.

Looks like they used a lot of "girlie" names for Alfas...LOL

Bill

Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #620
Tech Elite

Here are a couple of shots of that Vantage graphite wing. Note that the finish is a satin finish. Also due to the complex curves it was hard to illuminate evenly; it has a uniform woven graphite look on top and bottom. It measures 40mm chord right in the middle tapering to 35 mm at the narrowest points. These narrow parts have the wing at an angle to the wind so it is probably effectively a 40 mm chord throughout. Don't forget that moving the wing up increases the rear downforce, moving it back increases rear cornering traction (over front cornering traction).

http://www.vantageracing.com/site/v2...ges/SP0002.jpg

I was not too proud of my pics until I saw their pics of this wing and then I had a big smile.
John
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-vantage-graphite-wing-003.jpg   CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-vantage-graphite-wing-004.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-18-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #621
Tech Champion

Quote:
Here are a couple of shots of that Vantage graphite wing. Note that the finish is a satin finish. Also due to the complex curves it was hard to illuminate evenly; it has a uniform woven graphite look on top and bottom. It measures 40mm chord right in the middle tapering to 35 mm at the narrowest points. These narrow parts have the wing at an angle to the wind so it is probably effectively a 40 mm chord throughout. Don't forget that moving the wing up increases the rear downforce, moving it back increases rear cornering traction (over front cornering traction).

http://www.vantageracing.com/site/v2...ges/SP0002.jpg

I was not too proud of my pics until I saw their pics of this wing and then I had a big smile.
John
John,

I truly like the appearance of that carbon fiber wing; but, why change from the standard Sophia wing?

Bill

Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #622
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Thanks John!

Stiffening the rear may be possible, i look into it before i abandon the wing. There is one other trim line on the wing... can't remember the name but it's like a 1mm "lip" at the top of the wing. I could cut that off.

You can also reduce the downforce by moving the rear wing alittle more forward.

Changing a spring will change your mechanical grip too, so you have to decide if its a "aero-push", or a mechanical grip push. If your stiffen to the rear of the car, you may create a low speed loose condition.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #623
Tech Elite

Thanks for the post and additional tips guys.

Setting the wing on the corner at the end of the straight (maybe a sweeper but could be a hairpin or anything in between) usually helps me. This corner is entered at high speed and depends heavily on the wing. I like an nice even fourwheel drift sideways when I am too hot. Then I set mechanical oversteer/understeer balance on slower sections of the track. The wing helps here too though.

Bill
This wing is a little bigger than stock and should suit my longer outdoor track better.

Now here is the way it goes. You go into the shop. You put this wing in your hand, you say marvelous, state of the art, super fine looking. Where can I use this. Then you look at the price and you put it back. Then you do this three to 5 more times. Then you buy a body for a class ideally suited to the WING. So then you fork out the big bucks. That's the way it goes. It really does look this nice. It is too small for all my other cars.

I spent a long time fitting the front of the Sophia body to the soft bumper. There is no spare body overhang at the front or the back. The body is like a tight fitting glove all around. This reduces drag for superstock racing. It should also make the car nimble. I actually have not cut the rear arches as the chassis was a little long. With the front wheels in the back position, the bumper was even more a problem, so I put them back in the middle position. I have some stock pieces coming to correct this problem, but it will be next week. I may have paint before then. I did prefer the front narrow to give the tires more clearance when turning on a wheel arch cut slightly smaller than the tire.

The 13.5/4 cell Gen X 10 on carpet is prone to being tight (little oversteer possible). You may not want a bigger wing, but you could mount it farther forward like Shawn suggested. You will need to readjust ballast a little. Once you put a bigger motor on outdoors this tendency (tight) is no longer there.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-18-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #624
Tech Champion

Quote:
Now here is the way it goes. You go into the shop. You put this wing in your hand, you say marvelous, state of the art, super fine looking. Where can I use this. Then you look at the price and you put it back. Then you do this three to 5 more times. Then you buy a body for a class ideally suited to the WING. So then you fork out the big bucks. That's the way it goes. It really does look this nice. It is too small for all my other cars.

John
That is totally me...Too funny!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #625
Tech Elite

Here are a few pics of the Protoform Sophia Body. Rear wheel arches still need to be cut after I shorten the car to stock. The last pic in the shade gives you the best view of the metallic red which is overcoated with black. The second view in bright sun gives the best view of the wing. You need to get the springs for the full size car to get this Eibach decal.

John
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-protoform-sophia-001.jpg   CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-protoform-sophia-002.jpg   CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-protoform-sophia-003.jpg  
Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #626
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
You can also reduce the downforce by moving the rear wing alittle more forward.

Changing a spring will change your mechanical grip too, so you have to decide if its a "aero-push", or a mechanical grip push. If your stiffen to the rear of the car, you may create a low speed loose condition.

Shawn.

I believe it to be aero-push. Prior to the wing, the rear end was a little loose. Nothing i couldn't anticipate and drive through. Before the wing i could point the nose where i wanted it and let it rip. I believe the wing would give me some lateral stability.... well it did that and took away some steering.

I measured the chord and it's at 47 or 48mm.... too much. I'll cut the gurney strip (thanks john) off and go from there. I can also move the wing forward so that will be considered as well.

A little off topic but... anyone have any ideas on how to make PVC pipe heavy enough to not move when hit by a car? My "track" is an abandoned basketball court and i'm tired of chasing plastic soccer dots around the lot after i nudge them. I've thought of connecting 3 or 4 foot sections with an elbow and laying them at the corners. Figured i could fill them with sand and seal off the ends.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #627
Jin
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey John, on the P905 body you did, what material did you use for the rear wing and side wings? i swear i read CD covers in the thread but couldnt find it again. thanks
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #628
Tech Elite

Jin-The spoiler was a left over piece from trimming the body. .030 Lexan is also available from the Hobby Shops and works well for this purpose. The black side dams came from video disk soft plastic box that can be used for mailing or retailing the disks. This body used to come with side dams. I could not find any in the bag. Trim a piece of cardstock to fit then trace out two side dams and cut them out.

Boards. You can fill PVC with sand to make it heavy. It is a bit hard on the cars. Better would be a piece of wood and soft plastic skinned foam flappers screwed to the end in the shape of a tear drop.

John
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-peugeot-905-b-908-colors-resized-006.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-21-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #629
Jin
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Jin-The spoiler was a left over piece from trimming the body. .030 Lexan is also available from the Hobby Shops and works well for this purpose. The black side dams came from video disk soft plastic box that can be used for mailing or retailing the disks. This body used to come with side dams. I could not find any in the bag. Trim a piece of cardstock to fit then trace out two side dams and cut them.

John
thank you, will do that. mine also did not come with the side dams. i guess they dont supply that anymore or just a packaging error? either way the black cd cover idea looks great.
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #630
Tech Elite

Spektrum SR3300T Receiver (with Telemetry)

It was time for a new receiver. I had added extra cars to the stable. In searching the Spektrum site I noticed this relatively new SR3300T receiver ($100). It contains Telemetry. This means I can get lap times with my handheld unit that I already own with just a Lap time sensor ($10). As I had been paying 100 for Spektrum receivers this saves some money. I also think it will save a drain from the Speed control BEC. This used to be a problem in the 3.5 powered wide pan with a separate telemetry unit and would shut it down from low receiver voltage, even with the capacitor installed.
Note that I now wrap this antenna around the seam of the case with an overlay of black plastic battery tape. This makes the antenna almost invisible in the install. It works fine like this on a huge track.
I had a short practice on the asphalt. It was somewhat covered by concrete dust from construction. I cleaned and sugared but traction was just absent. At least I got in some slippery track practice and charged up all my LiPos as construction on the new surface continues.
John
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-spektrum-sr-3300t-001-resized.jpg