R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #1606
Tech Master

I meant the other way around, from 1/10 to 1/12
Either way, I can now see it's probably a lot of parts.
I have a little T-Fource I got given, and was tossing up getting that going, but then thought I could use the shaft and front off that, and a few chassis parts.
Anyway, fingers crossed the 1/10 class takes off and this is all academic

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #1607
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

I see, About the only parts that you can reuse going to 1/12 are the pod side plates and front suspension less kingpins and springs. The axle, hubs and pod are different for the most part. It would still be cheaper to buy a 1/12 kit or used car.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #1608
Tech Master

I got to race again on Sunday, thanks to a new racer who had the original Grp. C Mazda (that tub chassis they had) and 2 4cell 10.5 racers.
Every one who wants to run GT at my club does not want to run to BRCA rules, and refuse to spend money on their cars until the BRCA allow a low powered 2s class.
Stupid idea the UK has of making rules before they are tried and tested, it kills off any new form of racing.
I'm still racing BRCA 1s 10.5, but need to chargers to keep one car running, and need to charge the 1s packs at 2c to get them recharged within the hour
(1c is taking between 83 and 97 minutes to recharge a 1s 5000 pack after a 5 minute quallie run)
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #1609
SKJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

John
I was finally able to run the oval car in a limited practice session, it handled very well. It was about a .5 off the pace on the small carpet oval. The car was under geared and the had an old set of foams. With a little tweaking and practice this car should be up to speed. Next month is the velodrome and I will be setting the car up with all the high speed mods. Will let you know how it goes next month.

Steve
SKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #1610
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default front ends

John,

It seems the bmi guys have been busy in there shed. They have put together another take on your independent front suspension idea.

To bad this front end is outside the rules due to no sliding king pin.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/7732660-post394.html
Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #1611
Tech Elite

Thanks for the post guys. Keep up the reports steve. Good to see some more dual A-arm suspessions come on board. It should be the norm instead of the rarity. This BMI suspension is nicely made. I don't find the spring though? I dont think sliding kingpins are required on 1/12 scales since I don't make one.

Nimo-I hate this one cell stuff myself. I had several 1/12 scale 1 cell cars run on a tiny touring car outdoor asphalt track I run on. There is just no zip to the car at all. You run at more or less constant speed.

John
Old 08-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #1612
Tech Apprentice

John,
How were the Worlds? I have only met one guy that attended, Steve Rossi, He was at an offroad race in Denver he came to watch Matt Francis and cheer on the locals (mos of them are now Losi and AE drivers).
slsspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #1613
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Thanks for the post guys. Keep up the reports steve. Good to see some more dual A-arm suspessions come on board. It should be the norm instead of the rarity. This BMI suspension is nicely made. I don't find the spring though? I dont think sliding kingpins are required on 1/12 scales since I don't make one.

Nimo-I hate this one cell stuff myself. I had several 1/12 scale 1 cell cars run on a tiny touring car outdoor asphalt track I run on. There is just no zip to the car at all. You run at more or less constant speed.

John
Thanks john. The springs are the little flextures that are in the center. They have set screws in them similar to a t bar. Missing in the pics are a damper tube that mounts between the arms. I will have more pics shortly. I like your front suspension setup also. Looks very nice. Keep up the good work. It would be cool to get your support on the push for changing the sliding kingpin rule in WGT. It would be nice to if the rules didnt keep these cars from evolving.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #1614
Tech Elite

slsspark- The 1/10 IC sedan Worlds, which were held at my home track, were great. Congratulations to Ralph Burch for dominating the A-main. My coverage with pics can be found here in a condensed form starting about post 2579.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/texas-ra...uston-172.html

Jason-Thanks for the extra detail. Look forward to pics, especially ones showing the flexure detail.

As some of you know, Jason and I had quite a discussion of sliding kingpin vs dual A-arm suspension back on the Pantoura thread referring to roll center. One of the big advantages you will find with his new dual A-arm suspension is the ability to adjust roll center without disturbing the camber setting and vice versa. I find that adjusting front roll center is very powerful tool on my wide pan with dual A-arm suspension. That and front droop are my favorite adjustments to dial the car in.

I am all for updating WGT rules to end up with a better car for asphalt. Ross, in Canada, is running one of my Pro cars at 200 mm now. After finally cutting tires, he is finding good performance potential against some tough adversaries. Previously there was a traction roll problem. (would that I should be so lucky). Be glad to be part of a WGT discussion if there is a place for it. Unfortunately for lack of a better car the class died at my big outdoor track.

I also think weight limits should be relaxed slightly to allow the aftermarket items like the very fine GFR Body posts, and also sturdy bumpers to be used without a weight penalty in the class. These are stifled by the ridiculously low weight standards on some cars like 1/10 oval at 36 ounces.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-01-2010 at 03:38 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #1615
Tech Lord

Thats cool john. I did testing today at our new carpet track down here in florida. I was off to a rough start. Within a few runs i figured out something very interesting. The dampening used for the rear needed to be much lighter than what we used when using the strut front end. The car was very edgy until i went much lighter in the tubes and then it smoothed out. Not only that, it transitioned much faster and overall rolled through the corners much faster. I messed with rollcenter and found where i needed to be. When i lowered the pivot plate too much the car traction rolled going into the tight sections. Once i got the car where it needed to be, nothing could match the corner speed. The car just doesnt slow down. It gets into the corner great, holds its line, and gets out with very little steering input. It took a little adjusting but it was definately better than the strut front ends. I will put some pics up here. I need to take a few close up pics.
J Concepts
Old 08-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #1616
Tech Lord

Oh yeah, how nice it was to adjust ride height and droop without shims.lol
J Concepts
Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #1617
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

makes sense.. the more nose you give it, the more a$$ your gonna need to maintain balance.. what sort of ride height you running with that setup jason? and i'll just assume different flextures will be available?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #1618
Tech Lord

It seemed to make the front end work way too hard and pinned the nose down. I needed to lighten it in the rear to allow the front to work more smoothly. In doing so made the car overall faster. I was really impressed with it.

I was running 4mm ride height. I will have a few different thickness flextures and each one has 2 settings for spring rates.
J Concepts
Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #1619
Tech Elite

Here is another look at Jason's front end on the new BMI 1/12 car. I am about as excited as he is. My work is half done so to speak. On this lightened view you can better see the flexures that extend inboard from the lower Graphite plate A-arms. They each have an Allen screw for ride height adjustments. 3 thickness (spring rates) are promised. You can see an extra vertical ball cup in the corner of the Aluminum top plate that may latch onto a damper tube in this view as well. Also in view is the droop screw just outboard of the inner lower A-arm pivots. Roll center is easily adjusted by shimming the Aluminum top plate up and down. You can see the two positions in the flexure for the ride height screw that will give two spring tensions. Very nice. As modern as is possible and yet very compact neat and simple.
John
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-bmi-p7260039sm.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-05-2010 at 11:17 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #1620
Tech Elite

Here is a pic of the new Yokomo R12 along the same lines. I heard it did well at the Worlds
Attached Thumbnails
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks-yokomor12_04.jpg