Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why is the on-road forum so quiet lately? >

Why is the on-road forum so quiet lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moonman
When complaining that touring cars are expensive, think a little bit what you get for your money. Precision machined aluminium and carbon fiber parts and no plastic toy cars like 2wd buggies. High level sport equipment are always made like this and that is the way it should be.
and for about the same price of a top level TC, now you can get a top level 1/8 buggy. There is just something fundamentaly wrong with that.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by or8ital

- Nothing left to debate now that lipo and brushless are legal? (except maybe foam v rubber)?
- On-Road dying or dead?
- No new exciting product launches?
- People turned away after the server problems?

Just curious what peoples thoughts are. The pace seems much slower then usual.
It's quiet lately because everybody is busy paying their bills. Economy is pretty bad right now. Sky high gas prices and stuff has definitely affected a lot of the people including the RC World!
But On-Road is definitely not dead, it's here to stay! If you want that adrenaline rush, driving a modified 4wd touring car w/Brushless and Lipo on a long stretch of asphalt is pretty awesome.
It really comes down to what you enjoy driving. Personal preference is the key word here. Also, it depends on where you live. Like here in our area, there's no Off-Road track near-by. Just my thought!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

gas off-road isn't the new thing. its been the thing.. its on the downhill side now. you guys just haven't caught up to the trend yet. bl/lipo electric is the new thing. the local off-road club was all gas for the last 2 or 3 years. now this year its almost all electric. plug, play, tune. electric enduro will be the next big thing. it was even done at a natl already. on-road has a chance to do this with the new GT class but they want to keep sticking to downhill trends (nimhs). and lets not bring up the big race arguments. is there even an gas off-road race where the a-main isn't atleast 30 mins at the regional level?? what about nats or worlds.. what was the last format for those?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Ask yourselves this.. how many on-road tracks have opened in the last 5 years vs how many have closed?? most the on-road tracks i know of are in city limits, and that equates to $$ property. most off-road tracks are out aways or on public land. I don't personally know of any on-road track on public land, though i'm sure they do exist here in the states.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

In our area I guess we are lucky.

We had one carpet track close after 4-5 years.
One carpet track open and then close within one winter.
Another carpet track open which looks like it will make it for a while.
Another parking lot track open.
One parking lot track on its 4th year.

So are +1 on tracks over the last year I guess.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Offroad cars are plastic toys? are you kidding me? The amount of engineering that goes into them is amazing.....the only reason they use the ABS plastic or Graphite composites on most, is because they simply work better....offroad has and still does use all the fancy plate graphite....it has its place where it can be used....if the crap worked better in all spots, u would see every pro's car fully hopped with it.....we tried that in the late 80s.....didn't work so good....

Onroad uses it in troves, mainly cause the cars don't need to survive a 15 foot launch over a triple at 25 MPH...

And really, how much is really different? a couple pieces of plate graphite and maybe machined bulkheads? Last I checked, even the best onroad kits from xray, losi, corrally, ae, etc all still had LOADS of plastic parts in them....

And hi dawn.....:P

Later EddieO
Old 05-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Electric

I haven't race electric in a while. What are the best companies for brushless and lipo?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

keystone, started.. didnt get far off the ground. -1
jacks (ocala) -1
my local place (ocala), tried 2 times. -1
hudson .. great surface fast, bad glitches on 75mhz. now a parking lot. -1
speedline (largo/tampa) ..hosted nats -1.
fast track (orlando) -1 reopened elsewhere with 18th scale indoors??
kissimmee.. hosted worlds, closed down .. reopened now?? regular racing? maybe?
adrenalin?? just moving?

daytona and superior (parking lot action in orlando) - only race once a month
hobbyworld in jax on friday nights??
boylan's action at minnreg 4 times a year if we're lucky.
ronnies in tampa .. mostly gas??

I think everything down south is mostly gas now?? maybe the SoFo guys will chime in.
so basically there might be 2 tracks within 3 hours of me that run with any consistency with the florida rain and holidays

Florida, the next long island.

Hey NewYawkers, is there even a carpet track on the island let alone an asphalt one???
Old 05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mason the only place to race a r/c car on the island is on the rooftops. Pray you car doesn't wind drift off the edge, I hear those winds are about 50mph constant.

IMO the only thing that can save the hobby is mirco. The MetroEffect makes the land more costly and many racers do not have vehicles to drive to the track. Meaning car and pit equipment would have to be carried in a backpack so they can use the city bus. Another plus side to mircos is that since they are smaller by a sqaured power a 1/18th scale car has roughly 1/4 the materials of a 1/10, operating cost are roughly 1/4 that of a 1/10. Bigger cars, bigger batteries, bigger tracks and bigger COST!

The bad news is that with gas prices high, the few tracks that were left standing the last few years by racers willing to travel are at risk. I am already hearing gripes that carpooling 40 miles is too costly. It is not so much that the each person's gas cost $8 that much but its the increased cost of everything else that has direct cost related to petrol(food, plastics, shipping, heating, electricity, ect) has left their wallet empty.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lemansracer
I haven't race electric in a while. What are the best companies for brushless and lipo?
trakpower lipos, orion lipos, novak brushless, speed passion brushless
Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

360 speedway in long island!

Originally Posted by Mason
Hey NewYawkers, is there even a carpet track on the island let alone an asphalt one???

Last edited by slomo; 05-20-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I think a change in attitude is in order also. This may not be limited to on road racing but here me out anyway. It seems that no matter what facility I go to you cant walk throught the pits without hearing soemone or multiple people bitching and moaning about the place for one reason or another.

Take my place for example; Its a permanent asphalt track in a great location. The race fees are low. The asphalt, pipes, driverstand, well everything is new and fresh. The track is prepped with VHT. Everything is top notch!

The sacrifices I have made to make this all come together are huge! Sure I chose to make those sacrifices on my own and I dont regret these choices as I love this place. However, its when I walk through the pits on my very own property and here someone nit-picking this-n-that, or when someone walks up with some of the wall gripe almost as if they just have to say something negative in order to function properly! I goota tell you, this is a tough pill to swallow. I feel very confident in saying that I beleive that many tracks have closed not due to finacial issues, but simply because the tracks owner or opperators were fed up with the lack of appreciation and constant negativity some racers drag around with them.

Now sure, not every track owner puts out 100% and does the most steller job, but damn. At least stop take a look around and check your head before getting on the Bitch-A-Palooza band wagon.

This post was not intended to single out any of the people on here. It was just a general note to all who may read it based on my experieces as a dedicated track owner.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well those dudes are just dumb asses! If it gets to where you have to shut the track down, that will just them more stuff to cry about. Idiots like those piss me off. People like me just go to THE track. Then these guys are always trying to decide WHICH track to meet up at, and they still have stuff to bitch about?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
gas off-road isn't the new thing. its been the thing.. its on the downhill side now. you guys just haven't caught up to the trend yet. bl/lipo electric is the new thing. the local off-road club was all gas for the last 2 or 3 years. now this year its almost all electric. plug, play, tune. electric enduro will be the next big thing. it was even done at a natl already. on-road has a chance to do this with the new GT class but they want to keep sticking to downhill trends (nimhs). and lets not bring up the big race arguments. is there even an gas off-road race where the a-main isn't atleast 30 mins at the regional level?? what about nats or worlds.. what was the last format for those?
And it will die out as well..the thing that drove me out of electric TC was the constant changing batteries and motors..electric will do the same to 1/8th that it has done to TC..drive the price up and up..
Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Heres what I bought when I quit racing sedan.
301.00 from A-main hobbies with a motor. Its an ARR. Servos and radio I already had.
http://www.sportwerksrc.com/Products...ProdID=SWK1105

Second season still the same diffs and bearings and the motor still runs to. I just replace what ever breaks and to be honest thats been only a couple of front a/arms. And get this the same body, 1/8th scale bodies last like no other one little crack after 1 season.

Talk about price difference. I think there is some truth to sedan pricing them selves out of the sport. 1/8th scale is booming. 1. Because of entry price. 2. Because its free spirited, club nights are pretty much a free for all. On road has to many picky rules.

In the long haul its the same cost and 1/8th scale is more costly, but getting started is cheaper, and at a more competitive level, really no hop ups needed like an Xray.

Still get the itch for sedan its less prep blow it off and its clean, off road is a total tear down and and clean up. Very messy.

My reason for leaving sedan was I just got tired of trying to make slow, fast. Stock sucks after 4 years of it, stock is just to intense. The term trying to get blood out of a turnip comes to mind.

A healthy sedan class is a mod class and when I say healthy I mean stock is a virus to the sport of sedan I think.? Just because theres more stock racers doesn't mean its healthy. Theres no stock in 1/8th scale.

So to sum it up 1/8th scale is more costly yet its growing.
Gas racing encourages team work you have to have a pit man and its good to have lots of friends at the track. Your motivated to team work with tuning and pitting.

While electric is a one man show. I think its easier to alienate your self from racing as a group, and stock or not you have to be competitive from the start, the classes are smaller and the run what you brung beginners class is all seasoned sportsman racers these days. The mix is discouraging to new racers.
And any one who has tried one knows Xray is the most durable kit. So there is an option for durability with precision. But at the cost of an 1/8th scale.
It becomes a no brainer.

Any hoot I'm not the wizard and I don't need a mod vs. stock war but its just my perspective of the past 12 years of racing.
Good luck racing.

GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH!
Some thing to think about is, look how fast an 1/8th scale is. And how fast its growing...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.