Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why is the on-road forum so quiet lately? >

Why is the on-road forum so quiet lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is the on-road forum so quiet lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'll agree offroad gas is the new trend, but its hardly more expensive.....you can buy many RTR budget kits, that all are extremely competitive right out of the box and often are fully upgradeable to the competition kit....

Add in the fact, I've watched the WORST drivers pilot a 1/8th buggy around a track for hours and not had a single breakage, with them hitting jumps wrong and crashing ten times per lap........I had a guy go FULL speed into the wall at the end of the straight at my track.......result.....and turn buckle popped off his servo......

Try doing that with any competition TC.....you TAP a pipe and the whole front side side shatters.....not to mention these guys are COMPLETELY tearing about these cars after each run at a club race.....and in contrast, I a few years back, I saw ralph burch hit the wall at the end of straight at Trackside during the Novak race.......result......the damage was SO bad, he had to build a new car......

Onroad is simply pricing itself out of the market.......and making itself too complicated for the average joe to figure out....which is a complete opposite of what it started out as.....a cheap parking lot race with cars than anyone could setup....

Later EddieO
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The real reason is off-road gas.

and they cost more , a lot more in fact....

Why has Gas off-road taken over ?

Just cus it is way more fun, they are super easy to drive and super durable....

You could half the price of a X-Ray and sales still would not change....

Cost has nothing to do with this problem ....
Gas offroad has taken over because I know that a .21 is the biggest engine I can put in my buggy and the fuel tank is regulated FOR EVERYWHERE as well. Basically I don't have to find out if lipo's are allowed, what brushless motor the track is calling "stock" this time, foam or rubber tires, if rubber tires are they control tires, etc. We the racers have made electic onroad racing too complicated in the quest to make it "better".
Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think I would quit RC before doing Nitro anything. I tried it my first year racing. It was too damn annoying. Now I watch people at our track with the same struggles I had. I dont see how its fun trying to keep an engine running all the time and the flameouts. I prefer just being able to flip a switch and everything working. Id say at our track (on-road) there is a LOT more turnover with the nitro guys then electric. The electric guys seem to stick around a long time. Just my observation...
Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by or8ital
I think I would quit RC before doing Nitro anything. I tried it my first year racing. It was too damn annoying. Now I watch people at our track with the same struggles I had. I dont see how its fun trying to keep an engine running all the time and the flameouts. I prefer just being able to flip a switch and everything working. Id say at our track (on-road) there is a LOT more turnover with the nitro guys then electric. The electric guys seem to stick around a long time. Just my observation...
I said the same thing for years ....

You are living in the past , todays nitro engines are as reliable as a brushless..

They are easier to tune than ever...
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I said the same thing for years ....

You are living in the past , todays nitro engines are as reliable as a brushless..

They are easier to tune than ever...
All the nitro racers at my track must be using engines from yesteryear. I dont think we have ever had a heat with every racer signed up. None of them can get their engines running at the same time!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

wow.. great thread..

and it drew Eddie O. out again...

Hiya Eddie!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think were just lazy, we don't want to work at it or understand how these cars work. That is why off-road is popular, you can have the crapest setup on a 1/8 buggy and still wheel it.

Yes TC's are over priced but if a company introduces a cheaper good handeling car we just snub our nose at it (TAO5) We don't want to build kits anymore, I had to show someone how to change there tires WTF! And that person quit after a week sold the car, what happend to wanting to have fun building and learning to drive and be fast?

Not to mention speed we need to slow down, breaking is not fun but were to stuborn to let it go, and we bitch about changes made to make racing better.

We need private clubs like in Europe and keep the track out of the hobby shops hands they need to make money and not try to manage a track, but were to lazy to start a club or build a track on-road is gone unless we change our attatudes about racing and equipment.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Lets say tomorrow, Tamiya released a new version of the TA05 that was designed only for use with LiPo. They then take the extra weight savings and use it to beef up everything on the car, making it a lot more durable than anything else out there, and still quite capable on the track. Would people recommend it when someone asks what car they should start with? Nope, probably not.

There are less expensive, more durable options out there right now, but the "racing" crowd as a whole turns its nose up at them. If someone talks to you about getting started in racing, are you really doing them a favor by suggesting an expensive, fragile car? The biggest challenge for a newcomer isn't the fit & finish of their kit, it's how often they break, can they easily get parts, and are people willing to help them if they're not using something fancy?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

The fast guy at our track the past 3 years has ran a TC3, TA05, and HPI Pro3 (most recently). He wins every week. I think he just does it to show everyone they dont need the latest and greatest to win.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
PDM
Tech Adept

I agree with sindr0me on post #15.

And I agree with Matt Howard, too.

I started rc racing with 1/8 Off-Road 23 years ago. I raced that scale for 5 years. Six monthes ago I went to watch a 1/8 Off-road again. That was terrible. The noise, the dust. It is not for my age anymore.

1/10 electric Touring is nice because is quiet, clean...and on-road.

In a 1/8 off-road race a "bad" driver with be one lap down from the fastest in 5 min, the driving is easier.

On on-road racing a "bad" driver will be 4 laps down the fastest. Driving is very demanding, and the same with the carsetup.

One think I would change in 1/10 electric TC would be the motors (keep them slower) and would make the cars stronger. With brushless and lipo we just have to concentrate on driving, and I believe will make the class grow.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Lets say tomorrow, Tamiya released a new version of the TA05 that was designed only for use with LiPo. They then take the extra weight savings and use it to beef up everything on the car, making it a lot more durable than anything else out there, and still quite capable on the track. Would people recommend it when someone asks what car they should start with? Nope, probably not.

There are less expensive, more durable options out there right now, but the "racing" crowd as a whole turns its nose up at them. If someone talks to you about getting started in racing, are you really doing them a favor by suggesting an expensive, fragile car? The biggest challenge for a newcomer isn't the fit & finish of their kit, it's how often they break, can they easily get parts, and are people willing to help them if they're not using something fancy?

I disagree, I have a TT-01 that I recommend to anyone looking for a tough, chep entry to the hobby. Matter of fact I prefer racing it over the losi's/AE's/Xray's and Hot bodies sedans I have owned.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default on-road forum very quiet

hey all; I think some of the reasons why the on-road forum here at rctech may be quiet right now are and some of these may have been said before
most or-road racing is done indoors in the winter
1/8th off road buggy/truggy is the hot new thing right now
on road racing is in a transition with the sedan side slowing down and the pro10 class coming back
By the way just wait untill the roar asphalt nats and reedy race get here then things will realy start to heat up again. Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

When complaining that touring cars are expensive, think a little bit what you get for your money. Precision machined aluminium and carbon fiber parts and no plastic toy cars like 2wd buggies. High level sport equipment are always made like this and that is the way it should be.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Honestly, a TA05 or a Cyclone S are both awesome deals. Most people who say that you need anything else to start are either bragging about how much they have spent, or they are kidding themselves.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moonman
When complaining that touring cars are expensive, think a little bit what you get for your money. Precision machined aluminium and carbon fiber parts and no plastic toy cars like 2wd buggies. High level sport equipment are always made like this and that is the way it should be.
The 2WD buggys your talking about are not toys, the B4 is as good as it gets. And the performance is ausome! And you can't compare a 2 WD off-road buggy to a TC. By the way I rather pay 250.00 for a plastic toy where you can still compete and be fast that a carbon wonder car that requires tons of work. It's all about fun and if your not on the track your not having fun. Don't get me wrong I have a high end TC and I love it but give me a TT-01 or a TAO5 and guys in a parkinglot and that's a blast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.