Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots? >

Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Hiya guys, personally, I think any of the 'top' companies out there who send a couple of their drivers out to local club to help with advice on setup, etc, should be congratulated. Most of the top drivers are happy for a club racer to ask for help at one of the big meetings, but many club drivers don't attend the big meetings, so never get the chance to ask. If the top driver is at your own local club, in a friendly atmoshpere, it would be really good, not only for the club members, but also the top driver, to share advice on setup, building and driving techniques, etc. I can't see how anyone could moan about any of the big companies wanting to do something like this! Cheers guys, Chris.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Champion

It gets the thumbs up from me if it promotes the hobby in the way it deserves to get noticed
Old 05-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Something that helped me back in the beginning at the 1986 nationals in Orlando was what all the manufacturers did. The practice days before the race as specific times there were semimars.This is where you could ask questions and talk with the pro drivers and get information with no pressure from anyone.If you had a problem they would help you with real answers and I got to meet many of the pro drivers.I even won the motor that won the nationals weekend.My name got picked and if that driver won I got the motor- To this day I can call him and talk with him.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Grass roots racing with a luxury sedan .
Post of the Day
Old 05-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I guess I wasnt clear in what I wrote above. I just wanted to know what it was they were doing b/c the post made it sound like this was something new. As far as I can tell its what HPI and Tamiya have done for a long time (minus the last couple year before this one for HPI). The only difference I saw was that it sounded like the sponsored drivers would be touring with it. Dont get me wrong, I think its great. I just dont think they should get a huge pat on the back for something they probably should have been doing all along.

If this race doesnt require people to run RC America equipment to compete then it might be pretty revolutionary and would certainly seem unselfish.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Champion

Every BIG meeting needs funding, it has to come from somewhere I guess.

If it doesnt come from RCA, it will come from a different manufacturer....

Joe Bloggs outsider to the factory doesnt usually have access to the essentials needed to plan a big meeting *usually*.

"Grass roots racing with a luxury sedan" lol, thats funny
Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

will we see Team Xray at a local club in Belpre Ohio I think not lol
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I guess I wasn't clear in what I wrote above. I just wanted to know what it was they were doing b/c the post made it sound like this was something new. As far as I can tell its what HPI and Tamiya have done for a long time (minus the last couple year before this one for HPI). The only difference I saw was that it sounded like the sponsored drivers would be touring with it. Dont get me wrong, I think its great. I just dont think they should get a huge pat on the back for something they probably should have been doing all along.

If this race doesnt require people to run RC America equipment to compete then it might be pretty revolutionary and would certainly seem unselfish.
What HPI and Tamiya did was require you to tun only their cars and products. Great way for a manufacture to make more money. That was the idea behind those series. But they did not send out Hara or Reinhard to the races. A focus on helping the little guy was not a focus at these events. These 2 race series were not trying to give back to the racer community. I do think those series are good at promoting racing.

This is where The Xray Challenge is different. RC America is promoting a race series for all to enjoy regardless of the type of car. The focus is on FUN and helping those that do not go to the big races. I know a great track to have one is your own THS (The Hobby Shop in Dayton, Ohio). The local racers there from knowing them, would have a great time in a race like this.

The Xray Challenge will not require the racer to run RCA equipment. But it is going to promote the products.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

THS could invite them for the Ohio Champs or the Charity Race........I personally would like to get some feedback on the T1.....
Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

A previous post raised the question about "what is grass roots about this".

Ok. look at it this way how many companies in the last few seasons have called up a facility (hobby shop, track, both, whatever) and offer to help fund weekly event and spice it up at the same time; All without any magazine coverage or national championship at stake. I even offered to try to bring in the magazines and blow the event up, but the response was "not necessary, just do what you normaly do for you regular racers".
Old 05-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well this looks like a step in the right direction.

If companies would stop sponsoring "racers" and start sponsoring "races" maybe more people would come out to race.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by jiml
Well this looks like a step in the right direction.

If companies would stop sponsoring "racers" and start sponsoring "races" maybe more people would come out to race.

EXACTLY!

Now Im not suggesting that companies should start shedding their drivers, but having them focus some of there efforts in a manner such as this is long overdue, and apparently begining to happen.

The drivers that win the races are not selling the cars. And they never have in my opinion. Its the events that sell the cars by showcasing the products and generating interest. Combine a number of well planned events with well skilled personel (helpfull drivers) doing some meet-n-greet and some Q&A, now that is a good move.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

I do it with my boys here in Chicago. We have the luxury sedans but they are FK04's and an FK05. We love them. Great products, even for us "average racers".
Old 05-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BullFrog
The practice days before the race as specific times there were semimars.
Horizon Hobby did exactly this earlier this Spring at Jtec Racing in Danville IL. Jtec has a great club racing scene with all their locals. 125 people showed up to race this particular seminar/racing event, and the vast majority of the racers were newer racers. We drove all the way down from Chicago to race the event because we knew we could rub shoulders and get all kinds of great advice. Not to mention the opportunity to win great raffle prizes.....

We had a great time and made alot of new friends.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Again this race is for everyone no matter what you run. In fact, at my regular weekly events about 75% of the entries are of spec type cars TT-01's and such.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.