R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Default Sponsored racers.. Your thoughts?

Are they out to promote their product well, or are they just a glorified salesman that the club representitives (and others) don't like to see at their track?

I myself, will not deny I am sponsored. I will also say (without wanting to pat my own back) I will help others who ask for my opinion on r/c car related topics, or even sometimes approach them if I see they are not having a good day of it and may need some assistance

For me, (like many others out there) it's good to see others around you get some help if they need it, and have a good days racing.

Sometimes, the sponsored racer is also able to provide technical, or more detailed/simplified answers to a given question.

Some people will consider the sponsored racer to have better products than them, this is rarely not true and how do you classify "better"?

Better than a D main newbie? Or better than everyone elses?

From my own experience and what I have heard, the latter is rarely true, except for items in development.

Discuss

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Well you are both a salesman, promoter, and helper. I would think the sponsored guy helps others no matter what product the person who needs help is running. Sure you promote the products that your sponsor has as well as just promoting the hobby. I have alot of fun helping guys when I can as much as actual racing nowadays.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Some people are just plain against liking team drivers.

If any can step in and answer people when they have an issue against them, then it may help them and others learn a thing or two?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I try and help anytime i can. But it is hard to help someone that is afraid to come up and ask a question or think that you are too busy to ask anything...

Sometimes being quite and to yourself gives the standoffish impression. But i promise this is not the case... Ask away.. I know i do not have all the answers but i think i can get you in the right direction sometimes...

Mike
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock View Post
I try and help anytime i can. But it is hard to help someone that is afraid to come up and ask a question or think that you are too busy to ask anything...

Sometimes being quite and to yourself gives the standoffish impression. But i promise this is not the case... Ask away.. I know i do not have all the answers but i think i can get you in the right direction sometimes...

Mike
All very true... Sometimes there are also those vital times where the car needs dialling in to a track and work needs to be done on the car to get it better...

That's never a good time to be asking anyone for help, but after that then sure, i'll take a look and give an opinion and help if I can

If I see a newcomer who is having a bad day, i'll make five minutes or whatever to go over and see they're getting back on the road good.

I sense a great deal of satisfaction seeing others get the help they need. And when its included in your first ever online race report in 13 years of racing, I was very happy

http://www.teamtekin.com/2008AdurWinterSeries.html

As many will know, do whatever "drives you on" when you are racing, its not all about the racing itself that matters sometimes

Old 05-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Let me be the first non sponsored guy to comment.

There are several sponsored guys that run at my local track. Some of them keep to themselves others seem more approachable. Recently I was having issues with my TC5. Dave Arnold, who is a 1/12 scale guy and a Team Tekin guy if I'm correct, was watching my car on the track. He noticed my car was handling funny and walked up on the drivers stand and asked me what was wrong with my car. My answer was "I don't know" It was hooking in some corners. He asked if he could drive my car for a few laps. He came up with some ideas as to what was wrong. I am not the best setup guy out there but after some work my car is now handling great. I have also received a ton of help from Wallstreet (not sure of his real full name...first name Mike). He even followed up with me a week or 2 later to see how I was doing. Others at my track like Kevin Kane have also been helpful. So do I think sponsored drivers are a good thing...yes they can be. Some aren't that out going so they can come across as RC snobs but my experience has been fairly good.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

I'm not factory sponsored, I'm corporate sponsored, and fully intend to stay that way. Me personally, I have very little respect for factory drivers. A vast majority of the ones I've dealt with seem to have this whole "I'm better than you" mentality, which might be true out on the track but it's no excuse for being a total prick everywhere else. I've seen factory drivers simply walk away from conversations mid-sentence when they find out the local they've been talking to is using a rival car make, I've had pit spaces I've made reservations for days ahead of time before a large weekend-long event get taken over when I show up the first day, and in the days before 2.4GHz radios became the norm it wasn't uncommon to see a factory driver testing his carpet car during a weekly offroad race, or to completely ignore the pegboard and turn their truck on during pre-race practice, which often results in someone (more often than not a newbie father-son team on a shoestring budget) going home with a wrecked truck. And in a similar thread in the Electric Offroad forum, Ryan Cavaleri was whining to a magazine about how local drivers that get in his way cost him thousands of dollars in pay. To comments like that I can only say "Guess what, if everyone was supposed to get out of your way, it wouldn't be racing. Quit'cher bi*'chin and drive the truck."

My sponsorship deal is with a company that makes degreasing shop towels, so I've got no reason to tell someone they should be using this brand of radio over that one, other than it's my honest personal opinion based on my own experience, or that I shouldn't be talking to someone simply because they run equipment that isn't the same as mine. That's why I prefer this corporate sponsorship, but even then, I don't think factory drivers should deny locals common human decency in the name of their sponsor's profit.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

I hate racing against a certain sponsored guy in a series I run. Every main youre in with him theres a very good chance he will do whatever it takes to hack the hell out of you if it means passing you. The last race I ran I saw him totally jack an entry to a turn and try to take me out coming to the buzzard. He slammed me, I saved it, and the guy behind him smashed him and I wound up taking 3rd. I loved it, but he got me 3 times in 1 main. He does it all the time to people and thinks nothing of it, then plays it off like he is mr. helpful in between race events.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think there are snobs and "Im better then you" people that are both sponsored and un-sponsored. And there are some very helpful people that are both sponsored and not sponsored. I try to help people out all the time but I have no sponsorships. For me, its more fun to have lots of people racing and the more I can help beginners out the more likely they will be to stay with the hobby.

I see 2 criteria usually applied to sponsorships. The first is giving them to the guys that win races to sell products. The second is giving them to the above average racer who is very helpful and going out of his way. I really have no problem with the second as long as it isnt on "disposable" one-run items. Nothing more frustrating then racing with a guy using new tires each run b/c they get them for free or cheap. The first one I have mixed feelings on.

Id prefer to see sponsored races then sponsored racers in general. And for all of us (sponsored or not) to help each other out.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Tech Champion

PNG- Sounds like you've got a good crowd, good racers who will butt in when the chips are down... A sure fine way to see the racing grow and the racing community bond well

OTE- Thing is, you can have a good unsponsored racer (which may also be a club rep of some description) preach what is good too. It can easily work the other way...

Don't get me wrong, there is good and bad in everyone, but at the race track the bad gets picked up on very quickly and then it's highlighted once word goes around like wild fire.

Perception of someone is also easily mislead, or totally understood from day 1... Sometimes you have to be part of a crowd to be on talking terms with certain people... I know I don't care for that kind of racing, as that can also speak the same "get lost jerk" attitudes.

K-King- Some sponsored racers are going to be a win at all costs. They'll soon burn out of enjoying that lifestyle when things don't go to plan, or they'll get dropped by their sponsor if word gets to them they're a self obsessed hack...

or8ital- I think you've summed it up, theres good and bad everywhere I hear ya on the sponsorship levels, there is a lot of different levels to it and some is not good for club level and "blanket covering" the racing out there.

I've turned a cell and motor deal down because it didn't feel right to be racing only at club level and have enough power in stock class to power NASA... If I had the time away from the family to race bigger meetings who knows, but you have to get a good deal for everyone, not just yourself sometimes. Also, some deals are not as good as they are first made out to be...

Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
I hate racing against a certain sponsored guy in a series I run. Every main youre in with him theres a very good chance he will do whatever it takes to hack the hell out of you if it means passing you. The last race I ran I saw him totally jack an entry to a turn and try to take me out coming to the buzzard. He slammed me, I saved it, and the guy behind him smashed him and I wound up taking 3rd. I loved it, but he got me 3 times in 1 main. He does it all the time to people and thinks nothing of it, then plays it off like he is mr. helpful in between race events.
Then ya know what'cha do to fix that? Next time he roughs you up, line yourself up for the mother of all cheap shots. Make it as obvious as possible. I mean really repaint the boards with the guy's car, and do it in such a way that you make a clean getaway. Then as you're walking down off the driver's stand, get right in his face and say "THAT'S how you take someone out."

Did that a couple years back to a guy that had a habit of trying to pass people in midair (I race offroad). Starting in 2nd on the opening lap, he'd throw this hopeless Hail Mary towards the leader over the first jump, crash, and leave the entire field in a wad at the bottom of the landing. As soon as the marshalls get us all straightened out, he does the same thing over the next jump and we all pile up again. He also made an art out of rear-ending people mid-jump, something that did not go over well with me at the time. We enter an end-of-the-pipe 180 right hairpin going onto the back straight side by side. He swings wide to slingshot back down to the bottom, I hug the pipe so I can slide the front end up to the wall on exit, and we meet in the middle. My left front tire got him square in the passenger's side door, and we kinda shot off each other. Him hitting me aimed my truck perfectly down the straight, so basically I just did a hairpin turn at WOT in about three feet of space. His truck...remember when Wile E. Coyote would put on roller skates and strap on an ACME rocketpack, only to slam straight into a rock wall just offscreen? That's about what this looked like, as if the hand of God came down, picked up this truck, and threw it into the concrete cinder block outer wall. Hit so hard the motor slid forward in the motor plate. He ran a couple more laps before pulling it off because the gear mesh was making the motor overheat.

He got a lot easier to race with after that
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've seen it all but for the most part all of the sponsored drivers are more than willing to help you out. Even if you're running a different brand of car.

The good racers (past and present) far outweigh the weenies that you see. You just notice the bad ones more than the good ones.

Matt Francis was the one that set the bar back in the day. I was at a big race where he offered to rebuild someone's 4wd car at the race. He completely went through the car and it worked great. That's a factory driver.

Pretty much all of the current factory drivers will help you out if you ask. Part of the attitude that some people get is because they tend to be a little pushy with the factory guys or bug them when they're really busy. Be considerate of them and they'll be considerate of you. Maybe instead of asking them for "The set-up" tell them what your car's doing wrong. Sometimes, it's actually the way you're driving and they can help you out there too.

The list of racers that have helped me out over the years is huge. Some of these guys have helped a little and some have helped a lot. You'd be surprised at the drivers that will help you out.

And for God's sake, check the hobby shop first before you go begging for parts. I'm not even sponsored and I still give parts out when people need them. It's really annoying when you see the part you just gave some kid hanging on the wall in the hobby shop.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #13

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

you say go smash the guy to show him how to take some1 out. thats all well and good til some1 does it to you. for example i lost a exotek R3 at a regional race when a racer who is in the low main every wk and whom still hasnt yet grasped the concept of 'holding a line' kept making things interestin for me in qual heats every time i came around to lap. he (and later the director of the track after the issue came to a head) said well if your so much better u'll find a way around him. now all of us racers know how much weight that carries. most of us are not 'pros' and 'pros' still knock into each other, let alone club racers.

well he was miffed by gettin messed up w/me lapping him and myself askin for help from announcer to move outta the way (wasnt gettin help from the booth) that after the heat he took his ride full blast into my car sittin up against the board in front of the stand as i walked to it. plate destroyed, shocks dead, and some plastic ruined...he walked off like it was nothing afraid to even look at me for fear of havin to answer to his actions. so i'm out about 100bux and b/c of some1 takin that approach.

in addition to the earlier comment, the only other statement i got from the director was that i shouldve been experienced enuff to drive my car into the infield section where my car couldnt be hit at speed after the heat. yeh sure, as if thats part of post race procedure (worrying if some1 wants a pc of you) :/

i hate sponsors, turns hobby into work. whether factory, sponsored, discounted or not...some people are asses and some people are great. you can get horrible advice and knowledge from a sponsored racer and you can get the answer to makin that next lap count from the guy who runs last every wk.

all kinds in this hobby

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

If someone did that to my car, guarantee they are paying me cash to fix it or theirs gets messed up even worse.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Sometimes the sponsored guy who does try to help gets an earful when he gives advice and it doesnt suit the person it was given to... Everyone drives differently and we should always remember that Sponsored or unsponsored, the only person who knows what the car is or isnt doing is...

Yourself