R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to turd ferguson

I've actually seen a guy ("corporate sponsored") smack a kid on the drivers stand at a club race because of an accident. Some idiots just never learn
Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd ferguson View Post
I've actually seen a guy ("corporate sponsored") smack a kid on the drivers stand at a club race because of an accident. Some idiots just never learn
I'll be suprised if he's still sponsored now....

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's my take on this issue......

I've met a lot of sponsored drivers in my time in this hobby/sport. I have met VERY few at any level who are bad people. I've seen drivers at every level have a horrible day, and sometimes that's reflected in their behavior. Of course I've also seen quite a few "hobbyists" explode, because they were taken out on what they thought was the run of their life at a club race.

I'm sponsored, and I know that on occasion, I've lost my temper and said things that I regretted as soon as things cooled down. I generally try to apologize for my actions, to both the individual involved and the race director. We're all human and we'll all occasionally make mistakes. It's how we deal with these situations that dictate the type of person we are.

I will tell you that most factory pros are AWESOME representatives and killer people. Their talent, and the fact that they tend to run in packs makes them seem unapproachable, but this is hardly the case. Guys like Paul Lemieux, Mike Dumas, Bobby Flack, Josh Cyrul, Blackstock,Tosolini, and Chris Doseck will all give you any information you ask for, just be mindful of when and how you ask. If you see one of these guys get blasted off the track, and they're carrying a car with suspension hanging outside the body back to their pit, this is probably not the time to ask about roll-center adjustments
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default sponsored guys

Unfortunately, in this hobby as well as most sports, guys who win are the ones who get the sponsorships, regardless or personal manners or how friendly they are. The sole job of a sponsor is to promote their sponsor's product and the best way to do that is to win. You can have the nicest sponsored guy who helps everyone, but if he doesn't win or at least place high, how much product will he move? This is a numbers game to the r/c manufacturers, how much product sold vs. how much given away in sponsorships.

I have been around nice guys and not so nice guys who are sponsored and sponsorship has nothing to do with how nice they are, it's their personality in general. I think r/c racers take r/c racing way, way too seriously, and that is what perpetuates overlooking bad behavior as long as someone wins.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #35
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
I'll be suprised if he's still sponsored now....
oh ya.....read the "corporate sponsored" and reread the thread.........

you will figure out who......

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi View Post

Maybe so, but I don't have the interest to- it's not my call to drag anyone through the mud here....

I just wanted to see how people feel about sponsored racers and bring it to general discussion and see if anything can be learnt in the process

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Let me be the first non sponsored guy to comment.

There are several sponsored guys that run at my local track. Some of them keep to themselves others seem more approachable. Recently I was having issues with my TC5. Dave Arnold, who is a 1/12 scale guy and a Team Tekin guy if I'm correct, was watching my car on the track. He noticed my car was handling funny and walked up on the drivers stand and asked me what was wrong with my car. My answer was "I don't know" It was hooking in some corners. He asked if he could drive my car for a few laps. He came up with some ideas as to what was wrong. I am not the best setup guy out there but after some work my car is now handling great. I have also received a ton of help from Wallstreet (not sure of his real full name...first name Mike). He even followed up with me a week or 2 later to see how I was doing. Others at my track like Kevin Kane have also been helpful. So do I think sponsored drivers are a good thing...yes they can be. Some aren't that out going so they can come across as RC snobs but my experience has been fairly good.
Dave just simply a nice guy...sponcored or not, and he just can't stand a out of tune 12th scale....period.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Dave just simply a nice guy...sponcored or not, and he just can't stand a out of tune 12th scale....period.
+1.

I haven't talked to Dave in a long time, but he's a premier example of what a sponsored driver should do on and off the track. I've never seen him get rattled, and he's always helping fellow racers. I hope that others follow his lead.
071crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
+1.

I haven't talked to Dave in a long time, but he's a premier example of what a sponsored driver should do on and off the track. I've never seen him get rattled, and he's always helping fellow racers. I hope that others follow his lead.
agreed! Dave Arnold is quite simply one of the NICEST guys on the planet, he's always willing to talk RC or anything else. I've spent many hours talking to Dave at the US Indoor Champs, and other 12th scale events.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd ferguson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi View Post

You know what a "brain duster" is? When you bop someone on the back of the head after they do something stupid? I must give 3 of those to Aaron Katz on any given race night. I've even been known to give them to myself.

But as it's already been stated in this thread, people will find whatever reason they can to make someone they don't like look worse, and thanks to the grapevine (i.e., you two) a relatively minor disagreement starts to sound like I took the kid's head off closed-fisted. It's like in NASCAR, everybody's on the "political correctness" kick and'll chew someone out over the dumbest sh*t, then everyone complains it's boring.

My sincerest apologies to you all for showing emotion, I know what a terrible thing it is to hurt someone's feelings. Maybe next season we should do away with scoring equipment and say "everyone's a winner" like in kiddie soccer. And I don't suppose either of you two recall any of the times before and after that I helped that very same kid and who knows how many others make repairs or borrow out tools or give tips on chassis setup. Yeah, those just kinda slipped your mind, didn't they?
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IDK, just because they took out your toy race car on the track, doesn't make it right to hit them in any way. The only way you should touch another person at the track is by shacking their hand (wife, and kids are a differn't story ), not handle it in the way you do.

*Team CFX Racing**Evil 3 Paint Works*
carbon madness is offline   Reply With Quote