R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   do you have differrent tires for carpet (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/22260-do-you-have-differrent-tires-carpet.html)

sm64000 08-02-2003 07:01 PM

do you have differrent tires for carpet

SpeedyTC3 08-02-2003 07:14 PM

Re: do you have differrent tires for carpet

Originally posted by sm64000
Could you please clarify this question?

sm64000 08-02-2003 07:15 PM

is the tires outdoor different from carpet indoor

Korey Harbke 08-02-2003 08:19 PM

If we are talking rubbers I usually will use a soft tires like a Sorex 24R with a red hpi insert. I use soem traction compond like Tq Orange too. In outdoor, it's usually warm in the outdoor season up here, so we are running Take off 27s or 32s. Hope this helps some.

sm64000 08-02-2003 08:25 PM

but someone told me on carpet they only use foam tires.

Korey Harbke 08-02-2003 08:53 PM

I guess it depends on your track. soem track only let you use rubber tires. A good example is The Novak Race early this year. The spec tires was a Take Off CS-27 preglued spec tire. Alot of Open mod classes use foams because of the awesoem traction they provide on carpet. Alot of tracks dont care what tires you use. If it were me I would go ask aroudn at the local track and see what the hot tire setup is. Aorund here the hot foam setup is 28mm trc or jaco purple/orange up front, and purples in the rear. I think TRC's purple/orange is called plaid.

Grizzbob 08-02-2003 10:42 PM

It also depends on the car. If you're talking only about pan cars, then yes foam tires are just about it(you only see rubber-capped tires for them on paved oval tracks, usually). But for rubber tires(like TakeOffs, Sorexes, etc.), you can use them most ANYWHERE, it's all in finding the right compound & insert for the situation(which sometimes comes down to trial & error).....:cool:

zachzachz 08-03-2003 10:13 AM

Why do colors matter for inserts? You only see them before you glue the tire, so what's the point in making them colorful? Or does each color mean how thick or thin it is?

Zach

Grizzbob 08-03-2003 12:04 PM

Yes, the color of an insert is simply a way to tell how firm one is, &/or how thick it is. The manufacturer color-codes them so we can identify them easily & make sure we're using the ones we want. HPI's inserts are probably the best example of this, as they have a number of different ones, & of course each has its own color to identify it with. And in case you were wondring, we have different kinds of inserts because they can have a significant impact on how well the tire works. It's a bit like how full scale race teams make adjustments by changing the air pressure in a tire(more pressure would be like us using a firmer insert).....:cool: