7.2 V Batteries

Old 07-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Rookie

7.2 V Batteries

Are the 7.2 Volt batteries from Radio Shack good enough to use in my Tamiya TL-01?
Old 07-30-2003, 06:36 PM

yeah they are ok

they are good practice packs
alot cheaper then the competaative ones

we had a thread about this

people said they were ok

if yout not racing at a club or anything then they are good packs
Old 07-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

This car is for my 6-year old son.
Is the Tamiya Calsonic Skyline GT-R faster than the r/c cars you can buy at Toys R' Us or Radio Shack?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

are you sure a car like that is really for your son . seriously though it will be plenty fast, especially for your 6 yr. old. it should be faster than stock nikko or radio shack cars and definitely much higher quality and realism in the body.

radio shack 7.2 volts are fine, but you really should try to purchase some hobby quality batteries, even if they are slightly higher in price. and if you havent done so already consider getting yourself an electronic speed controller (ESC), it will put considerable run time into your car, reduce weight (compared to all the stuff needed for the mechanical speed controller), and smoother throttle control.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by icon
are you sure a car like that is really for your son . seriously though it will be plenty fast, especially for your 6 yr. old. it should be faster than stock nikko or radio shack cars and definitely much higher quality and realism in the body.

radio shack 7.2 volts are fine, but you really should try to purchase some hobby quality batteries, even if they are slightly higher in price. and if you havent done so already consider getting yourself an electronic speed controller (ESC), it will put considerable run time into your car, reduce weight (compared to all the stuff needed for the mechanical speed controller), and smoother throttle control.
hahahahahah! I wish it was true but it is my 6 year old's car until I buy my first Nitro or Electric R/C car.

I did replace the stock speed controller that came with the car with a complete system from Futaba. Now I just need the batteries for this baby to rip!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Skyline GTR
hahahahahah! I wish it was true but it is my 6 year old's car until I buy my first Nitro or Electric R/C car.

I did replace the stock speed controller that came with the car with a complete system from Futaba. Now I just need the batteries for this baby to rip!
yeah i remember you and your son. we were talking about how expensive it is

yeah a tl-01 is a really good starting car. even i started with radio shack cars

you got a lucky son there

my little brother is starting and i got him a TC3 with teh futaba system too. its really reliable

some recommendations to save r/c money:
buy stuff from hong kong

i got a FM controller MX-3 for $80 US (120 CAN)

when your gonna get a futaba system with the controller i would get the one with the notches and stuff
the one without the notches to adjust the stuff isnt very good. if your intrested i'll go check the model number

its the same one my bro's using and its pretty good. no problems yet. used it for about a year now
Old 07-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Calvin Ng
yeah i remember you and your son. we were talking about how expensive it is

yeah a tl-01 is a really good starting car. even i started with radio shack cars

you got a lucky son there

my little brother is starting and i got him a TC3 with teh futaba system too. its really reliable

some recommendations to save r/c money:
buy stuff from hong kong

i got a FM controller MX-3 for $80 US (120 CAN)

when your gonna get a futaba system with the controller i would get the one with the notches and stuff
the one without the notches to adjust the stuff isnt very good. if your intrested i'll go check the model number

its the same one my bro's using and its pretty good. no problems yet. used it for about a year now
Calvin,

No need to look. I already have the controller it's a Futaba 2PH/2PHKA.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:48 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Even the cheapest 7.2V packs will be enough to get your car going, but certainly BUY A GOOD CHARGER.

A decent charger will last you forever, so its worth the extra. Something reliable & automatic will be good insurance especially in hands of kiddies. (Do not even dream about using "chargeleads"!)

Batteries will wear out in time, and you'll need to buy new ones eventually. So even starting out with the cheapest ones makes sense.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by WC
Even the cheapest 7.2V packs will be enough to get your car going, but certainly BUY A GOOD CHARGER.
When I first started (few years ago) I bought some trinity 1500's to race with. That is the way to go. If he races in a novice class he'll do okay. Once he gets past the novice stage then you can start looking at better batteries, better car, etc, etc.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default It works! But....

Well I bought a Radio Shack 7.2 V battery and charger for only $29.00. But my problem now is my car makes left turns when squeezing the gas and not turning the steering wheel. I guess I need to take it apart and turn the steering server more to the right.

Is this correct?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:31 PM

have the servo just by itself not attached to anything

center it on your control (remote)
there should be that notch on the top right corner just put it somewhere as close as center

then put the servo saver on and put it into your car

then use the notch on your control to adjust the wrest
Old 08-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Firstly make sure that the steering trim on your controller is set to neutral (the middle).
If this is OK and the car is only pulling slightly to one side you can correct this with the steering trim by sliding it towards the opposite side to which it is pulling.

If the trim is neutral and the car is pulling dramatically to one side then you will have to reset your servo horn so that when everything is switched on and the trim is in neutral the wheels point straight ahead and the car runs straight or close enough to it.

I hope I have not confused you at all. Sometimes its a little difficult to explain these things clearly...

Keep asking and we'll keep helping

Steevo
Old 08-02-2003, 12:46 AM
Tech Initiate

What in your opinion are some of the best batteries around?
Old 08-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Raikonnen
What in your opinion are some of the best batteries around?
The GP 3300's are my favorite. Great runtime, great voltage and usually cheaper than the Sanyos.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Calvin Ng
have the servo just by itself not attached to anything

center it on your control (remote)
there should be that notch on the top right corner just put it somewhere as close as center

then put the servo saver on and put it into your car

then use the notch on your control to adjust the wrest
Thanks for your help!

The car is now steering straight ahead.

By the way how low should the body be? 1/4 inch or less?