Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New technology and club racing- has it thinned out classes? >

New technology and club racing- has it thinned out classes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New technology and club racing- has it thinned out classes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

As for computer games... NO level of gaming will substitute racing with a real model car for me

Gaming is just to keep the reactions good enough for the track imho.....
Old 05-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc3team
Theres just that inability to gel as a club sometimes... A weak guy usually shows up, races once or twice then leaves. If he is seeing or hearing smack / BS he won't last long...

Some people just have no idea at all what they are doing to ruin a clubs image... and it's done so easily too.

It's a damn good job we have a variety of clubs to race at these days....
I dont really get what your saying here?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Theres just that inability to gel as a club sometimes... A weak guy usually shows up, races once or twice then leaves. If he is seeing or hearing smack / BS he won't last long...

Some people just have no idea at all what they are doing to ruin a clubs image... and it's done so easily too.

the best piece of advice i was given by someone when i was racing last sunday was;

"don't listen to most of the guys here, they just bullshit about what you should buy. all i'm going to say is don't crash. hell, if you don't crash you could probably beat all these guys here anyway"

i wish more people listened to him and not those bullshitting idiots with all their expensive equipment.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by joe of loath
the best piece of advice i was given by someone when i was racing last sunday was;

"don't listen to most of the guys here, they just bullshit about what you should buy. all i'm going to say is don't crash. hell, if you don't crash you could probably beat all these guys here anyway"

i wish more people listened to him and not those bullshitting idiots with all their expensive equipment.
Nothing like insulting your fellow club members on a world wide, public forum to support tc3team's premise. Keep up the good work, the hobby will be bigger than ever in no time.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by adamge
Nothing like insulting your fellow club members on a world wide, public forum to support tc3team's premise. Keep up the good work, the hobby will be bigger than ever in no time.
if you'd read my post, it would become apparent that i was not insulting them, merely quoting someone. and it was an international A final driver's brother too. i think he should know.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

The second paragraph part isn't in quotes.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Best quote of a quote ever!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by adamge
I dont see Joe's post aimed at anyone in particular.... Its just how some people can be sometimes.

You get the good guys helping out and you get the asses who want to spoil the fun, giving out smack.... and/or dish out bad advice, knowingly or unknowingly...

Others will just give you the cold shoulder like you're something bad you have stepped in... and I don't care for that kind of track scene, life's too short to be having grudges against others, its petty, idiotic and just not needed, period.

Some will never settle a score even if they are given the chance(s) to....

I've seen plenty of things happen in 13 years of racing. You'll never understand everything either, that's just how it is out there...

Probably some of the reason why the bad mouths kick off or people leave the racing scene... It's supposed to be fun but the image isn't always out there and the clouds turn dark...

All the time the wheels turn on my car and there is no bad feelings, I will happily go back to a club. If there are bad feelings and the problem needs dealing with, I will thrash it out, or leave.

You can't afford to let people have an authority over you, it shows you're a weak person... If they don't like that... shame.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi,

RC racing might die out, but i think kids who buy and play at home and with friends will still continue.

New technology and categories has also kept me interested in the hobby, else maybe i would have stopped years ago due to boredom.

Maybe a run what you brung heat for beginners, at no entrance fee, could be included in the club races. Later, when they are hooked, they can join the regular categories and pay the race fees.

joel
Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

over here we're having the luxury of starting from scratch since there is no local track and not lots of people racing. We wanted to keep it cheap, simple and attractive for the newcomers, while having something decently fast for those already in the hobby. We decided to skip going touring here $$$, So we're sticking to running a GT class with realistic bodies based on the lower cost HPI sprint2 and Cyclone S chassis, with sealed 15T motors, good quality 3600Nimh batts and spec rubber tires. Thats only $189 for the RTR and less than $280 for a complete system including a decent MRC charger... we already have 3 setups like that and run them at a GT type track that we setup sundays at a local parking lot, so far its a blast and the tires seem like they'll be lasting a lifetime. The motors seem to be holding up as well, I have no idea whats the lifetime on those but they're only $15, they have an internal passive fan attached to the rotor so it runs quite cool while spinning... we explored going brushless but decided that the price difference was going to make it or break it for the newcomers, so brushed lives on.
Now we have to figure out what to do about nitro since we want to have one nitro class for more experienced $$$ racers and for those that like the sound and fumes. Skipped going the RTR route for this choice since Nitro RTR's are usually junk, specially the motors. ran the numbers yesterday and a decent quality nitro kit, plus decent racing motor, fm radio and starting equipment was like $950 ... choose the best gear instead and they could spend $1200+ easily... too much in my opinion so we're not doing that one for the moment, maybe we'll stick to 1/12 and choose a Kyosho Spada... thats less than $500 with and FM... still debating on that.

I remember reading a comment that to get newcomers interested the cost of entry would be extremely important, specially since kids can now get a PS3 or Xbox3600 for less than $450... $280 doesn't seem that much them but only time will tell if the class is able to grow here. so far rule #1 here is to keep things simple and have fun
Old 05-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Tech Addict

There has been some GREAT input to this, keep it up

Spec classes are unworkable, no one likes to be told what to run, they have their own brand favourites.... We just have the desire to buy the best we can afford.
Man, this really is a great thread!

While I know what you are saying about spec classes, there is also another side of it...

Some folks just love to race...or better put, love a good race. I know I have way more fun battling for a midplace finish jockying for position with several rivals, then to just have better equipment and run away from everyone for the win. You'd like to think that whatever position you ended up in was based on merit, and not because you had deep pockets.

I really think spec classes can be great fun. Here in Okinawa Japan, we have a few different forums to race. One particular track has 4 classes that race on the same day, once a month.

I participate in 2 of them...the 23T class, and the Tamiya class. You can run whatever you want in the 23T class (using a brushed 23T motor of course), but the Tamiya class is pretty strict. Even though the 23T class is much faster than the Tamiya class, the RACING IS WAY MORE FUN in the Tamiya class, which is what got me started in the first place...having fun.

That's not to say that a spec class is without fault either. Since most spec classes are based on DRIVING ABILITY, it's very possible you may have the same winners each race, and that gets old real quick. Kinda like when Michael Schumacher would win damn near every F1 race...it came to a point for me that I had no interest in watching. I knew he would win, and since the media only focuses on the top runners, you'd never get to see the REAL racing going on midway through the pack. Big turn off for me.

So I guess what I'm trying to say in a nutshell, is that spec racing has its place. One thing I've always thought with spec racing is that if you find yourself struggling to be a front runner, it strives you to be A BETTER DRIVER. With the other classes, it strives you to want better equipment.

- Paulie

Last edited by pgeldz; 05-19-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pgeldz
Man, this really is a great thread!

While I know what you are saying about spec classes, there is also another side of it...

Some folks just love to race...or better put, love a good race. I know I have way more fun battling for a midplace finish jockying for position with several rivals, then to just have better equipment and run away from everyone for the win. You'd like to think that whatever position you ended up in was based on merit, and not because you had deep pockets.

I really think spec classes can be great fun. Here in Okinawa Japan, we have a few different forums to race. One particular track has 4 classes that race on the same day, once a month.

I participate in 2 of them...the 23T class, and the Tamiya class. You can run whatever you want in the 23T class (using a brushed 23T motor of course), but the Tamiya class is pretty strict. Even though the 23T class is much faster than the Tamiya class, the RACING IS WAY MORE FUN in the Tamiya class, which is what got me started in the first place...having fun.

That's not to say that a spec class is without fault either. Since most spec classes are based on DRIVING ABILITY, it's very possible you may have the same winners each race, and that gets old real quick. Kinda like when Michael Schumacher would win damn near every F1 race...it came to a point for me that I had no interest in watching. I knew he would win, and since the media only focuses on the top runners, you'd never get to see the REAL racing going on midway through the pack. Big turn off for me.

So I guess what I'm trying to say in a nutshell, is that spec racing has its place. One thing I've always thought with spec racing is that if you find yourself struggling to be a front runner, it strives you to be A BETTER DRIVER. With the other classes, it strives you want better equipment.

- Paulie
First of all, thanks

I am a firm believer of having fun when racing, whatever the kind of day im having... I am also a firm believer of showing my competitive side.

How others will percieve that though remains to be seen. And THATS a problem some cannot overcome when they get beaten Some people will just in general, be an (insert what you choose, im sure we get the jist).

The negative vibes some people will put out at a race track though... c'mon...

Maybe I have touched the wrong side of topic about spec classes. They CAN and HAVE worked very well. But they will only strive in a correct infrastructure.

But on a similar, but kinda different path, practically being told (not in words, but in attitude) to race brushless because youre still using a brushed motor and the club wants to allow the newcomer to use these... well, thats a bit wrong.

Sponsored or unsponsored, people will race within their budget. If a club wants to keep their racers coming back they will need to understand that not everyone has silver,or gold lined pockets LOL.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:54 AM
Tech Regular

TC3TEAM well done speaking out about what and how you feel about the current attmosphere at #SOME# race meets/tracks.

Their are peaple like that in all sports or hobbies.Im a keen golfer with a handicap of 5.At my golf club there is also some of those nasties too
Because they have been members for years they think there in an elite group(so they think) ITs not elite...its just a Click their in.
And as i say "If you dont suck D~~~ you aint in the click"!
when i first joined the club i would often find myself beating alot of them and they simply didnt like it.
With the new youngsters hitting the club and playing in competitions the elite old guys where getting bitchy as the whippersnapers coming through were beating them.
YOU see they suffered from tunnel vision and only saw there own misery.
Now i spotted talent in 2 brothers and helped them horn there skills from the age of 15.By the age of 18 one of them went on to take the club championship.I loved it in the club house looking listening to the elite as they back stabbed and slagged the lad.jelousy is an horrible trate to suffer from!!
they cant see that to help the newbies, youngsters will make the club stronger and help in inter club competitions.
they are just scared of being replaced in the club team by the new breed.
The young lad rang me and asked me to caddie for him in a knock out qualifier because the last time he faced this other older guy the guy threathened to beat him up if he beat him in the knock out.
I did caddie for the lad.the old guy said nothing and got beat fair and square
yet their is still a click that remains in the club house.
I hope you all see how i intend this to come accross
Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Tech Addict

First of all, thanks

I am a firm believer of having fun when racing, whatever the kind of day im having... I am also a firm believer of showing my competitive side.

How others will percieve that though remains to be seen. And THATS a problem some cannot overcome when they get beaten Some people will just in general, be an (insert what you choose, im sure we get the jist).

The negative vibes some people will put out at a race track though... c'mon...

Maybe I have touched the wrong side of topic about spec classes. They CAN and HAVE worked very well. But they will only strive in a correct infrastructure.

But on a similar, but kinda different path, practically being told (not in words, but in attitude) to race brushless because youre still using a brushed motor and the club wants to allow the newcomer to use these... well, thats a bit wrong.

Sponsored or unsponsored, people will race within their budget. If a club wants to keep their racers coming back they will need to understand that not everyone has silver,or gold lined pockets LOL.
I agree, on all accounts! Great minds think alike! HA HA HA

- Paulie
Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Tech Champion

I have nothing to hide, I tell a situation how I see it... and how it is. What happens from there is only a challenge to me, just like the racing is. What's fun and what isn't though, well obviously the racing IS And the other stuff isn't.

You can't sugar coat a salad and call it healthy, nor tasty for that matter

Good story, it highlights very well how people can not play fair, or play fair but want to have it their way all the time.

On the other side of the bat, ive made judgements for a situation and got it totally wrong. I've paid the price for it too. That's all part and parcel of racing. 13 years of it... Who knows what's around the corner?

I will deal with it if it bites back, or i'll welcome it if it's a step in the right direction. Just like you can't rewind time, nor make the past any better.

Let's put the F back in FUN for our racing If im the only follower of my beliefs then you must surely be too beat up about loosing that (usually cheap looking) trophy?

Or just lost some humour on lap 3, first corner is usally a bit tricky....

Either way, that's not racing. I won't say what it is on a forum obviously... But it won't be classed as normal in my eyes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.