R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Been lurking for a bit and thought I would chime in...

One of the things Pug 205 gti mentioned was those ugly aerodynamic bodies that hardly look like anything recognizable as a car. I, for one, completely agree with this. One of the things I liked so much about the Tamiya Champ Series in the mid-90's was the different body styles you would see at the track. I ran an old boxy-looking Alfa back then. Sure it wasn't "aerodynamic" but it looked really good. Any racer worth his/her salt now wouldn't run that body...too much like a brick. I remember when I was younger (70's - 80's), I enjoyed stock car racing (NASCAR). But I quickly became disinterested in it when they all went to the aerodynamic body styles that were no different from each other except for the paint/decals. I just didn't care anymore since the cars no longer appeared like the cars I saw driving down the street. One thing I have noticed in r/c is the growing popularity of Trans-Am style racing with the older muscle car style bodies. I really like those!

Thanks for letting me ramble.
NU_Blackshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
If anything its off road racing that should be flourishing, less abuse on cells or motors/esc as you are not on the power 100% as much as on road, tyres could possibly remain race worthy for longer too.

They are built for knocks and are usually pretty solid too, so less on repairs, gears are usually enclosed too, possibly making them longer lasting against the dirt. Suspension is open to the elements yes, but you can get covers for them

On road is the most expensive 1/10 class there is.... Its no wonder its dying a slow death. But you cant turn back time and make things slower again as it will also turn people off racing that liked the speed.

1/12th may be expensive on tyres, but its a cheaper, basic chassis layout so I am suprised newcomers don't get attracted to that?
i dunno. The cost of tires hurts my pocket alot of the time when it comes to offroad racing. I can go on a set of RP36s for months on end on the asphalt i usually race on and still get good traction throughout the life. Ive already sunk the cost of brushless for my RCs (total brushless conversion ended up costing me $280 which included a GTB, an XBR, and two 13.5ss motors. Sweet deal, i know). Right now, doing the JBRL series here in SoCal, it costs me $40 in tires for each race + $30 for entry + gas + food. Each onroad race (which is also somewhat of a points series because of the chassis i run) is only $12 or $14 + gas + and food. No tires to worry about (though i did buy a set of RP30s and ran them 3 times then sold them for $10 cuz they wore out way too fast). I usually never buy tires though and i always do well. Given a decent enough consistent turnout, im sure onroad TC with a few decent stick packs (or matched sticks or low end "club" level $40 matched packs) is probably the affordable route to race in a rookie class.

Regardless...i agree that not many young people race. Either its because they cant afford it (i struggle, im a 21 year old college student with a part-time job lol) or parents dont want to spend as much. Oh well.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Even the cheapest hobby grade 1/10 scale car is over $150.00 US by the time you add in the radio. Most parents will view this as a very expensive toy. You usually have to attract the parent to get the kid.

You will continue to have this issue until the brushless motors are about the same price as the brushed motors are now. Same issue that we have with all other tech devices. VCRs come to mind. When new only few could afford....before DVDs took over you could get one for $30.00.

One other item that is slowing all hobbies is the economy and the impact that $100.00+ per bbl price of oil. At this point we are probably burning more corn for fuel than we use for food. This drives the food costs up. Transportation costs for all products is up. These drive the cost of living up and the disposable income is down. Hobbies feed off disposable income and I will bet there are alot of people out there with alot less disposable income.

When the economy cycles you will probably see more people join the hobby. Just my opinion.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #19
Tech Champion

interesting thoughts and yes, as per earlier comment, i'm sure inflation has an impact on racing too.

Thing is, when new tech comes out.... who wants to race with the older stuff? virtually no one. Good for the manufacturers sure, but not so good for the club racing.

Ive never been one to have the latest and greatest, but my sponsors do help me achieve that, in a way

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
This subject comes up about every 3 months.

Video Games

People this day and age are into instant gratification. Video games has it, racing has never been about it. When someone can get RC to be like video games, that will be the winning combination.
That is such a catch all. No, I'm sorry.. Video Games have been with us in one form or another since the 70's. Twitch games and home systems already existed in the mid 80s.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
That is such a catch all. No, I'm sorry.. Video Games have been with us in one form or another since the 70's. Twitch games and home systems already existed in the mid 80s.
While that may be true, kids have gotten newer systems than the original Pong, and continue to eat up the latest versions of games.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Getting people to race R/C cars isn't the problem. It's getting them to race onroad that is the problem.....
Old 05-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think online gaming, specifically, has been the biggest challenge. Part of the thrill of competitive R/C racing is that you're going head-to-head with someone else. That sort of thing was much harder to do in the 80's and 90's, but today, it's commonplace. I believe it's a similar reason that arcades have mostly died out. The human interaction element that R/C and arcades had back in the day gave them an edge over home systems. That's no longer the case. Plus, it's a lot more scary to call someone names and talk trash in person. :-D
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Most hobbies are down. How many kids want train sets? How many build model cars anymore?

I was looking at some web sites about 60's era slot cars, with pictures of all these top guys who correlate to today's factory rc drivers. 4 of 5 were under 18 years old, but they managed to scratch build slot cars out of brass stock and music wire with a soldering iron. Unreal. I see new guys, adults, who need help putting an Xray or Tamiya kit together without gluing themselves to the car, and in 1967, a 16 year old kid makes a record breaking car out of brass rod...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

spec class, use closed endbell motors, mabuchi silver and black cans, one tire, one battery. HB cyclone S spec class uses the 1500 mah pack as a rule. Super cheap and seems to be working well...

mod class, use whatever.

done.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default too much tech...

I feel the brushless/Lipo save me from dropping out of onroad. I'm 41yrs old and had a hell of a time figuring out NiMh's, brushes, setups, and learning to drive the car.

Most guys go racing (anything) to win or at least do well. To be competive at the local club level in TC you need to spend at least 6 to 8 months (in my case 2 years) of time and $1200 to $1500 minimum (in my case alot more).

I remember what I thought when I first looked at a TC pit area. Holy Crap! There was so much electronic stuff and boxes and cases everywhere!

Everyone says "learn from the fast guys". But they are not teachers and can't teach a Newbe and race at the same time. Then you get different advice from two fast guys pitted right next to each other!

It is just really hard for someone to break into TC. Removing the battery and brushed motor headache gave me alot more time to learn how to setup my car and spend more time on the track practicing.

Rubber tires also made things a little easier (no cutting down, no chunking). But now it's hard to find good tires!

Online gaming is also taking the motivation away for some younger folks to get out and find something to do outside the house. They interact with their friends on the computer and then shoot each other gaming! No need to go outside - why do you think childhood obesity is growing at record rates. Also instant gradification - no need to build anything, just jump right in a start shooting!
Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
I feel the brushless/Lipo save me from dropping out of onroad. I'm 41yrs old and had a hell of a time figuring out NiMh's, brushes, setups, and learning to drive the car.

Most guys go racing (anything) to win or at least do well. To be competive at the local club level in TC you need to spend at least 6 to 8 months (in my case 2 years) of time and $1200 to $1500 minimum (in my case alot more).

I remember what I thought when I first looked at a TC pit area. Holy Crap! There was so much electronic stuff and boxes and cases everywhere!

Everyone says "learn from the fast guys". But they are not teachers and can't teach a Newbe and race at the same time. Then you get different advice from two fast guys pitted right next to each other!

It is just really hard for someone to break into TC. Removing the battery and brushed motor headache gave me alot more time to learn how to setup my car and spend more time on the track practicing.

Rubber tires also made things a little easier (no cutting down, no chunking). But now it's hard to find good tires!

Online gaming is also taking the motivation away for some younger folks to get out and find something to do outside the house. They interact with their friends on the computer and then shoot each other gaming! No need to go outside - why do you think childhood obesity is growing at record rates. Also instant gradification - no need to build anything, just jump right in a start shooting!
I agree with all this. ditto.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Getting people to race R/C cars isn't the problem. It's getting them to race onroad that is the problem.....
I heard that!! Off-Road tracks are everywhere here in GA. On-Road tracks are few and far between and getting big turnouts for on-road is a very difficult task.

I agree that BL/LiPO has made racing soooo much better in our area. All I really spend money on these days are tires and entry fees. We pretty much stick to 13.5 around here so there aren't any problems with spreading the touring class too thin. Most tracks here are small/medium size so 13.5 is a good choice.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Funny thing, I considered all this before the parking lot season began. I decided to stay with my old brushed/nimh combo and if I end up in the D Main, so be it. Im out there to have fun since this is a hobby. When I get paid to race little toy cars, I'll have the best equipment money can buy but until then, its all to go out and have a good time with friends.

As far as tires, I found that the Sweep tires are very econonomical even when purchased from Hong Kong. That was my biggest expense. Someday I'll upgrade but right now I just dont feel the need since Id rather be here on vacation watching the American Le Mans Series in Utah than spending the $500 on a brushless combo with a couple lipo batteries!!
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary
Default Stop blaming Video Games for your own problems.

You know, Im tired of hearing the blame the last generation puts on the current. Guess what? We were no different.

A: We had fast games during the 80's (Kid attendance did not drop)
B: We had Multiplayer during the early 90's (Kid attendance did not drop)

As far as weight. America has had this issue more than just recently. Its only been brought to light with the rising conscience of eating healthy and how our media/entertainment is centered around selling "junk" food.

Trying to blame games as the core issue of your problem is so f'ing silly, it borders on being insane. Hell, its like that old geezer we all knew as a kid who whined on about when he was young while we rolled our eyes.

There are a variety of issues. Some dealing with less perceived free time, virtual communication, and a failing worldwide economy (which is NOT easily fixed sorry to say). Don't go and throw the issues of lowered younger attendance on one specific area that you don't or have forgotten how to understand.