Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Timmie
Wow 20 min with a 6.5? I need to order some of those lipo's! As far as runtime with a 13.5, i have no idea but probably 30-35 min if your getting that much time with a 6.5. How much voltage is left after 20 min with a 6.5? I like Express Duo's. Can handle overheating well in case your geared wrong and have a lot of power. With my speed controller and a Express 17.5 I'm only a tenth or two off from 13.5 times on bigger tracks. After this TCS nationals race, I'm going to do some videos of me pushing the TB very hard. I want to try and disprove some stuff people are saying about shaft drive I'll take one of me running a 13.5 duo so you can see the speed.

Oh and I haven't heard anything of the GM motors, is it there own design or shared design do you know?
Note that i'm not doing races. Its driving just for fun. In race conditions i would give it 10 - 12 minutes. A 3300 NiMH lasts 6 minutes under race conditions in my TRF with 6.5 Motor. The LiPo Cut Off setting is at 3 Volt with a soft cut off.

GM Motors is their own design. GM-Racing is a Brand of Graupner Germany. They have ESCs and Motors as well. Just take a look at the Graupner website:

http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AA?wgr=853

On the left bottom you can choose your language and currency.

have fun
Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

everyone pretty much touched up on the necessary hopups. I wanted to add to that with the aluminum propeller shafts. especially the rear, these are much lighter than the stock cast ones. The main weapon of the TB03 is the free drive train over belt cars. reducing the rotational weight (about 10g I think) of the drivetrain will add to that advantage.

I am very satisfied with the car and running head to head with xrays, 415, RDXphi, etc. But I have to admit that I am such a sucker that my car doesn't really look stock anymore. Looks like I went to the future and picked up a TB03-R Ah, the Tamiya magic.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default First race with graphite tub chassis

Man, I'm beat....long day for me lol

Well I got to finally try out the graphite chassis today. Didn't get to try it out on the asphalt as long as I would have liked since we had a hurricane floating around that dumped rain here But with the time I had with it, the car felt awesome. Turn in is great. I noticed it right off the bat. The car is a lot more responsive to steering input. Exactly what I need. On power steering also improved.

Even though I was a bit disappointed in not being able to race asphalt today, I was still able to race indoors on the carpet track So I got to test the chassis on carpet too I'm glad my local track has both hehehe. The car was ballistic on the carpet! I won the A main and had the fastest lap time of the day. I am so happy with this car right now.... It does EVERYTHING well. I believe I sent a local guy that drives a 009 home early today in fact hehe. He seems to like to wait and run behind me in practice to gauge his car. The TB03 wore him out pretty bad

Racing tomorrow at the out of town parking lot track. Wanted to take the TB so I can see how the graphite tub performs on low grip asphalt, but taking my 416 instead. With me going to California this weekend I think I need to play it safe and save the TB till then. When I get back I will defiantly try it out and let you all know what I think of it then.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Well I got to finally try out the graphite chassis today. Didn't get to try it out on the asphalt as long as I would have liked since we had a hurricane floating around that dumped rain here But with the time I had with it, the car felt awesome. Turn in is great. I noticed it right off the bat. The car is a lot more responsive to steering input. Exactly what I need. On power steering also improved.

Even though I was a bit disappointed in not being able to race asphalt today, I was still able to race indoors on the carpet track So I got to test the chassis on carpet too I'm glad my local track has both hehehe. The car was ballistic on the carpet! I won the A main and had the fastest lap time of the day. I am so happy with this car right now.... It does EVERYTHING well. I believe I sent a local guy that drives a 009 home early today in fact hehe. He seems to like to wait and run behind me in practice to gauge his car. The TB03 wore him out pretty bad

Racing tomorrow at the out of town parking lot track. Wanted to take the TB so I can see how the graphite tub performs on low grip asphalt, but taking my 416 instead. With me going to California this weekend I think I need to play it safe and save the TB till then. When I get back I will defiantly try it out and let you all know what I think of it then.
Awesome to hear Timmie! Send 'em packin'!

Chris Lim, Oliver Clipper and I went out to Tamiya today. though we also got rained on a little we stuck it out and had a really good test day.

Chris situated his steering problems, made some suspension changes and got his car to be happy.

Oliver worked on both his TB and his TA but his cars were on point all day.

Oliver and I were able to try the 350R. (Thanks Chris!) I felt that it was stable and a viable player! Just not enough turn in for my likeing but...... fast non-the-less.

After a few changes to steering and suspension geometry my Garaiya body was really fast. It, like the 350R, has less steering than the R35 GTR but after a few laps it felt REALLY good.

I'm going to Corona tomorrow for some parking lot racing. On a scale of 1-10 the traction is about a 7.5 compared to Tamiya's 11! So it should be interesting.

Jimmy W
Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Damn, This thread is long, Great info though folks.

I'm almost about to buy a TB03, And when I do I'll be ordering a few hop-us,I see earlier in the thread what I think is a drift spool was recommended.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-evo...g-p-28279.html

Does this work differently then this?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-evo...h=595_744_1229

And while I'm asking, what the hell is this?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-tb0...h=595_744_1229

Also, has anyone tried the full Graphite Conversion kit/chassis?

Last question, What sized pinion should I get with the car to get a FDR of 4.0?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Metla,

This is the spool from Tamiya

This is a 1-way complete with the crown ring. As for workings, it will engage when driven forward but will be free spinning when you brake or reverse.

This is only the main body minus the crown ring of the 1-way you posted before. Will be the replacement part if the 1-way bearing goes south.

I did not.

If you are using the 0.4 module from tamiya, then;
{spur gear (T) / intended FDR} * Internal ratio of your car = target pinion size (T)

(96/4.0)*2.438=58.5T
So you can try a 58T or 59T pinion.
Note: I don't think the TB-03 can fit pinions of this size. Might have to consider a smaller aftermarket spur?

Cheers!!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:56 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Finally had the chance to go to the track today, and coincidentally, I was interrupted by rain as well...The changes made to the car over the last week based on advice on this thread worked very well! Steering was a little twitchy in the beginning, so I added back in a little front droop (just one 360degree turn of the grub screws) and after that it was just awesome. Any crashes or imperfections in the laps today were purely due to driver mistake.

It rained a bit around lunch, so we took a break and came back a little later. The track was still somewhat damp, but generally the car still felt good despite the lack of grip.

However, by the end of the day the car felt a little unsteady (pulls to the left sometimes, and to the right at other times) on the straights, and unfortunately I didn't have time to troubleshoot as it then started raining again. I just hope it was due to running a spool and slick tires on a damp track, rather than due to something on my car being damaged during one of the earlier crashes...

Oh, and having a group of guys racing monster trucker / CRAWLERS /whatever on the track really spoils your day..grrr!! Constantly having to avoid them as they weave about, and then colliding with one of them, is NOT FUN
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

any one with any setup advise for a stock tb03 on carpet with only c.v.a shocks allowed??

as i will be taking part in the local tamiya asia cup for the superstock class. we have to use sportstuned for the cat.

please advise.

thank you
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Awesome to hear Timmie! Send 'em packin'!

Chris Lim, Oliver Clipper and I went out to Tamiya today. though we also got rained on a little we stuck it out and had a really good test day.

Chris situated his steering problems, made some suspension changes and got his car to be happy.

Oliver worked on both his TB and his TA but his cars were on point all day.

Oliver and I were able to try the 350R. (Thanks Chris!) I felt that it was stable and a viable player! Just not enough turn in for my likeing but...... fast non-the-less.

After a few changes to steering and suspension geometry my Garaiya body was really fast. It, like the 350R, has less steering than the R35 GTR but after a few laps it felt REALLY good.

I'm going to Corona tomorrow for some parking lot racing. On a scale of 1-10 the traction is about a 7.5 compared to Tamiya's 11! So it should be interesting.

Jimmy W
Thanks Jimmy

Those guys are lucky to have you there to help them out with their cars Hope someone bought you lunch heheh. Glad to hear their cars are dialed in! Its great that you were able to try some bodies out for RCGT too. Yay for the Arta Garaiya! Looking at the the R35, I believe the additional steering comes from the windshield area. The Arta is a lot narrower up top. But I have driven it on high speed, flowing track similar to Tamiya's and the body really comes through the faster you go. Jimmy what wing were you using? If you were using the plastic wing for testing, try Tamiya#53604 Racing Wing Set next time. It will drop a LOT of weight off the rear and change the aero some. Also, try a little body tilt if you want it to be more aggressive on turn in.

Good luck with your race today
Old 08-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I wanted to add a little fuel to the TB03 fire My local track owner after seeing how well the car worked for me, Went ahead and bought a TB03. After his first race with the car, He sold his Xray and with the money ordered a second TB03 to make a dedicated oval car out of it! LMAO! Not sure how I feel about a TB03 being made to turn left only, but I don't care much since its still a TB03 Now the TB03 is a stocking chassis at his shop Go Go Tamiya!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Metla
Damn, This thread is long, Great info though folks.

I'm almost about to buy a TB03, And when I do I'll be ordering a few hop-us,I see earlier in the thread what I think is a drift spool was recommended.

Buy a aftermarket 90 tooth 64 pitch spur, and use a 54 tooth pinion. That will get you to a 4.00 FDR. It should fit with no problem
Old 08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redko
any one with any setup advise for a stock tb03 on carpet with only c.v.a shocks allowed??

as i will be taking part in the local tamiya asia cup for the superstock class. we have to use sportstuned for the cat.

please advise.

thank you
Hi - you're from Singapore too, yes? Do you run your car at the Bottletree track? I'm there on Sat or Sun morning sometimes, so perhaps we can run together some day.

As for setting up the car, I think the general advice given in this thread, especially over the last few pages, are really useful. But beyond that, probably the best way to find the best setting really is to see how your car is running currently, then make adjustments from there. Also, to suit your individual driving style...
Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tns
Finally had the chance to go to the track today, and coincidentally, I was interrupted by rain as well...The changes made to the car over the last week based on advice on this thread worked very well! Steering was a little twitchy in the beginning, so I added back in a little front droop (just one 360degree turn of the grub screws) and after that it was just awesome. Any crashes or imperfections in the laps today were purely due to driver mistake.

It rained a bit around lunch, so we took a break and came back a little later. The track was still somewhat damp, but generally the car still felt good despite the lack of grip.

However, by the end of the day the car felt a little unsteady (pulls to the left sometimes, and to the right at other times) on the straights, and unfortunately I didn't have time to troubleshoot as it then started raining again. I just hope it was due to running a spool and slick tires on a damp track, rather than due to something on my car being damaged during one of the earlier crashes...

Oh, and having a group of guys racing monster trucker / CRAWLERS /whatever on the track really spoils your day..grrr!! Constantly having to avoid them as they weave about, and then colliding with one of them, is NOT FUN
Awesome! Glad the car was working out for you better this weekend. Do you have the steering parts upgraded? Are you using a Tamiya hi torque servo saver? If you are using the Tamiya saver, It's probably why the car is wandering in different directions. They work nice but if you get in some bad wrecks or side smack barriers a lot you will develop some free play with it. Then what happens is, you tap a barrier and your car might pull to the left. Straighten the car out on your radio and its fine. Smack something else all the sudden your car pulls to the right Its very frustrating Go get your car and turn the radio on and the car. Look very closely at your servo saver. Now while looking at it, grab one of your front wheels and try to turn it left and right. When you fight the steering servo like this, if the servo arm and saver move at the same time, its not the problem. But if you see the servo arm move and the saver doesn't, then theres the problem. Its developed play internally so it will slip and then stick either a little to the left or a little to the right.

As far as the trucks go can you ask them to wait their turn? If they don't want to be polite, do what I would do Make some really big jumps and lay them out on the track. Convince them to show you how far they can jump. After they all break, you will have the track all to yourself!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Redko

please advise.

thank you
Hi Redko,

I'll give you a hand with your setup if you like. Are you going to be racing on Tamiya Type A tires? Do you plan on using ball diff or oneway? The CVA shocks work good, No worries there. Once you tell me some more information I will post a setup for you to try.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Thanks Jimmy

Those guys are lucky to have you there to help them out with their cars Hope someone bought you lunch heheh. Glad to hear their cars are dialed in! Its great that you were able to try some bodies out for RCGT too. Yay for the Arta Garaiya! Looking at the the R35, I believe the additional steering comes from the windshield area. The Arta is a lot narrower up top. But I have driven it on high speed, flowing track similar to Tamiya's and the body really comes through the faster you go. Jimmy what wing were you using? If you were using the plastic wing for testing, try Tamiya#53604 Racing Wing Set next time. It will drop a LOT of weight off the rear and change the aero some. Also, try a little body tilt if you want it to be more aggressive on turn in.

Good luck with your race today
Timmie,

We are lucky to have each other out here as well as everyone on this forum. Chris and Oliver are great people and even better competitors.

I made a few changes to the suspension today and stuck with the Garaiya body. It's low, it's light and today it was just right! TQ and Win in Corona.

Timmie, I'm running the carbon "boomerang" wing. It's super light and works really good. I've got the body sitting as low as it will go. It's actually sitting flat on the rear shock tower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.